+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Those landing in Canada during d dreaded winter months network here (2015-2016)

kenifeh

May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
28-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
19-11-2014
Med's Request
14-01-2015
Med's Done....
18-01-2015
Passport Req..
24-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2015
Hello Friends

I am starting this thread for people who are landing in Canada during the dreaded winter months; December 2015, January 2016 and February 2016.

Let’s network and share ideas about landing, coping with winter, city of landing, airport formalities, winter clothing, accommodation, searching for job etc. Canada winter could be very brutal and we can only count on sharing ideas to weather the storm.

I am flying January 2016 to Toronto, Ontario.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Winter will be very severe in canada except in BC. Bring winter jackets, clouse, hat and shoe etc. Temperature goes down to -30c some days in winter months. Most of the activities limited to indoors. Sub-zero temperatures between November to March months.

Duskyblue

Jan 23, 2015
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Well, make sure you have a home with an intact heating system, and lots of clothing.
It's important to carry an extra fleece / jacket, mittens and a hat in your car, just in case it breaks down somewhere. Since it's really, really cold, that might be vital.

On the bright side: I've visitied Canada (Alberta) several time so far, and while it WAS very cold indeed, most days were sunny, with a beatiful blue sky. Much better than the less cold but grey and foggy days I get over here in Switzerland.

jlauhn

Star Member
Nov 19, 2014
Honduras
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was thinking of landing during winter, but not anymore. I live in a tropical country, so it will be tough as a newcomer. Why will you land during winter?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Better to land in April, hence you can enjoy full summer months and look for jobs.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jlauhn said:
I was thinking of landing during winter, but not anymore. I live in a tropical country, so it will be tough as a newcomer. Why will you land during winter?
As said above, why not consider landing in BC during winter? It's not tough (for Dec 2015) even for someone from the tropics!

kenifeh

May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
28-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
19-11-2014
Med's Request
14-01-2015
Med's Done....
18-01-2015
Passport Req..
24-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2015
jlauhn said:
You can see my timeline. I did my medicals January 2015, so i don't have a choice, i just have to land in January. I know winter is very tough in Canada and it is not a good period to land, but i would rather we focused on the good side of landing during winter, like cheap accommodation, less job but few competition, being in Canada and alert just at the beginning of spring etc.

Where can one get very good winter clothes as soon as one arrives Canada? It looks like one cannot get Canada kind of winter clothes outside Canada. Is there anyone who landed during winter in the past? Please share your experience

jlauhn

Star Member
Nov 19, 2014
Honduras
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kenifeh said:
You can see my timeline. I did my medicals January 2015, so i don't have a choice, i just have to land in January. I know winter is very tough in Canada and it is not a good period to land, but i would rather we focused on the good side of landing during winter, like cheap accommodation, less job but few competition, being in Canada and alert just at the beginning of spring etc.

Where can one get very good winter clothes as soon as one arrives Canada? It looks like one cannot get Canada kind of winter clothes outside Canada. Is there anyone who landed during winter in the past? Please share your experience
I recently got my Passport Request, the email stated that I have until August 31, 2016 to make my landing. What time limit did they give you?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
One year from medicals.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kenifeh said:
Well, many Canadian goes to the US (particularly Buffalo NY, New York City, Bellingham WA, Seattle WA, Portland OR) to buy winter clothes with brand names such as Northface, Eddie Bauer, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.

jlauhn

Star Member
Nov 19, 2014
Honduras
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
As said above, why not consider landing in BC during winter? It's not tough (for Dec 2015) even for someone from the tropics!
I have read that southern coastal cities tend to remain with good weather in comparison as the rest of Canada. I have considered Vancouver as opposed to Eastern cities, seems like the Western coastal cities offer better wages and more employment.

Overall, I am still undecided on where to land.....I have read about Ottawa, Saskatoon, Regina, Moose Jaw, Vancouver, Halifax, Dartmouth, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jlauhn said:
I have read that southern coastal cities tend to remain with good weather in comparison as the rest of Canada. I have considered Vancouver as opposed to Eastern cities, seems like the Western coastal cities offer better wages and more employment.

Overall, I am still undecided on where to land.....I have read about Ottawa, Saskatoon, Regina, Moose Jaw, Vancouver, Halifax, Dartmouth, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton.
It doesn't matter where to land. You just need to make a decision where to settle (after completing landing formality)!

jlauhn

Star Member
Nov 19, 2014
Honduras
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
It doesn't matter where to land. You just need to make a decision where to settle (after completing landing formality)!
I think I chose the wrong words....I want to settle where I land.

bindudhiman

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-07-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
File Transfer...
05-08-2015
Med's Request
09-08-2015
Med's Done....
11-08-2015
Interview........
TLU 14-10-2015
Passport Req..
01-12-2015 hurrayyy..
Canada s winters are much better managed than that in my home country India. They have a pretty good heating system for all houses and people mostly tend to remain indoors during the freezing winters.

It can be difficult for immigrants from tropical countries but landing in winters will definitely give an edge over the people who are planning to land in March or April as you ll be better accustomed to the Canadian system with an experience of 3 months already.
And for the family immigrants, school sessions in Canada start in September. So a loss of 3 months study can be covered but not 6 months if you plan to land in March.

bindudhiman

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-07-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
File Transfer...
05-08-2015
Med's Request
09-08-2015
Med's Done....
11-08-2015
Interview........
TLU 14-10-2015
Passport Req..
01-12-2015 hurrayyy..
Canada s winters are much better managed than that in my home country India. They have a pretty good heating system for all houses and people mostly tend to remain indoors during the freezing winters.

It can be difficult for immigrants from tropical countries but landing in winters will definitely give an edge over the people who are planning to land in March or April as you ll be better accustomed to the Canadian system with an experience of 3 months already.
And for the family immigrants, school sessions in Canada start in September. So a loss of 3 months study can be covered but not 6 months if you plan to land in March.