+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thorncliffe Park Drive: Living Conditions

zeshane

Star Member
Jan 29, 2012
Hi All,

I am starting this thread for the benefit of all who have decided to move to Toronto and are exploring the neighborhood of Thorncliffe Park Drive to settle in. I am myself exploring options in this neighborhood but so far have come across only negative reviews. I have read horrendous stories about people living in this neighborhood complaining about bed bugs, roaches, elevator problems, bad building management staff and etc. They even had a rally back in 2011 against the building management of 71, 75, and 79 Thorncliffe Park Drive. The area has also been labelled as the Pakistani taxi drivers hub.

I understand as new immigrants we shouldnt be complaining too much but the above stated problems only increase the frustration that is associated with such a big move. I would request everyone on this forum who is currently residing in this neighborhood or have lived there in the past to provide their valuable feedback on the living condition in this area. In particular if anyone can provide any feedback on 52, 54, 56, 58 buildings managed by Park Property, it would be really really helpful.

Zeeshan

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How much is the rent for that area? I have a feeling of very little because of the living conditions.

zeshane

Star Member
Jan 29, 2012
steaky said:
How much is the rent for that area? I have a feeling of very little because of the living conditions.
Well it varies from building to building but according to my research its anywhere between 750 - 1200 for one bedroom and 1000 - 1500 for two bedrooms.

Zeeshan

TGHOST

Mar 18, 2013
Just an addition to what has been mentioned already, just writing my own experience. Hopefully I am not offending some one, if some one feels that, I am sorry in advance.

The only good thing about it;
Area is definitely cheap. One bedroom large apartment is around $800-900 where other areas in Toronto same apartment will cost you over $1100.

All of building are full with people from Pakistan (mainly), Bangladesh, India, Eastern Europe and so on. Please note , this is the area where you will find most rude people in Toronto. If you are from above mentioned countries/culture, you might don't feel any difference as you will use to, but if you are coming from somewhere else, you will regret about behavior of people around you.

I lived only for 6 months and never met any one person on roads, markets etc who will smile to you. Buildings are full with children, seems every family living there has 4-5 kids that will found all the times playing, running all around the building, inside outside and everywhere so expect a high level of noise and disturbance. I don't have any words to rate customer service, in case you have any problem with any service related to your apartment, you will barely get resolved on time. Also, this is only area where you will see live fights between people, mostly in area where there is a mosque, Greek church and a general store name IQbal Foods.

There are so many more things I can go on, but just wanted to add in above, if you care about these things. In conclusion, if you are not a person who thinks living in same people is must, stay away from here.

Good luck.

zeshane

Star Member
Jan 29, 2012
TGHOST said:
Just an addition to what has been mentioned already, just writing my own experience. Hopefully I am not offending some one, if some one feels that, I am sorry in advance.

The only good thing about it;
Area is definitely cheap. One bedroom large apartment is around $800-900 where other areas in Toronto same apartment will cost you over $1100.

All of building are full with people from Pakistan (mainly), Bangladesh, India, Eastern Europe and so on. Please note , this is the area where you will find most rude people in Toronto. If you are from above mentioned countries/culture, you might don't feel any difference as you will use to, but if you are coming from somewhere else, you will regret about behavior of people around you.

I lived only for 6 months and never met any one person on roads, markets etc who will smile to you. Buildings are full with children, seems every family living there has 4-5 kids that will found all the times playing, running all around the building, inside outside and everywhere so expect a high level of noise and disturbance. I don't have any words to rate customer service, in case you have any problem with any service related to your apartment, you will barely get resolved on time. Also, this is only area where you will see live fights between people, mostly in area where there is a mosque, Greek church and a general store name IQbal Foods.

There are so many more things I can go on, but just wanted to add in above, if you care about these things. In conclusion, if you are not a person who thinks living in same people is must, stay away from here.

Good luck.
Thank you TGHOST for sharing your experience with us. Much appreciated.

Zeeshan

haniya

Star Member
Jun 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
lvo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 dec2011
AOR Received.
per 17 feb2012
File Transfer...
2nd line 26 june2012
Med's Request
received on 18august posted on1august
Med's Done....
5 september
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
ppr1 7th nov,DM 19th nov,ppr2 ..3jan
LANDED..........
24 jan2013
hi guys ..i think basement is better than apartment ,i been in thorncliff for visit my friends ,theaprtment wasnot good i m in brampton near kennedynwilliam parkway its nice area every thing is nearest :).

zeshane

Star Member
Jan 29, 2012
haniya said:
hi guys ..i think basement is better than apartment ,i been in thorncliff for visit my friends ,theaprtment wasnot good i m in brampton near kennedynwilliam parkway its nice area every thing is nearest :).
Haniya,

Could you elaborate why the apartments in Thorncliffe were not good? And what kind of accommodation do you have in Brampton and how much are you paying for it?

Zeeshan

bongcan

Dec 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-11-2010
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
Med's Request
14-12-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2013
Passport Req..
08-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2013
LANDED..........
24-07-2013
I didnt stay there, only I used to go there for large Indo-Pak grocery store called Iqbaal. That area is pretty bad, expect few pockets (can't recall names now) but cheap and convenient. Depending on your financials, you can choose.

And one more thing, TTC goes there with few buses plying in every few minutes connecting few train stations.

zeshane

Star Member
Jan 29, 2012
While browsing around for updates on Thorncliffe, I came to this link:

http://www.cp24.com/news/power-returns-to-thousands-of-t-o-customers-after-more-than-30-hours-1.1188977

Seems like its not so much different than living in Karachi after all.

Zeeshan

Immi_advisor

Feb 2, 2013
Guys, are you serious?! 1bdr for 800-900/mo in such a weird place?
Wake up, you can easily find a normal, clean place to leave even in quiet, safe and respectful communities.
Avoid those "newcomer heavens"! At the end of the day, what's the point of moving then?

If you really need that, I can advice you a good real estate agent who will do the work for you and will find a right place for FREE.

d0m0

Jan 11, 2015
Although this is an old thread, I'm posting just to update.

I got my PR last year and have been living in 56 Thorncliffe Park Drive since. It is a 2 bedroom for $1200. The apartment and the building is clean (although the building is old), elevator is spacious and has never been down. We have multiple ethnicities in our building with kids as well, but have never had any issue with noise. We had some issues with our cabinet door breaking, bathroom faucet breaking after a few months, but we let the superintendent know and we got new ones within a few days. When we moved in, the stove was also giving us issues, but once again, after complaining, we got a brand new stove within 10 days. I believe that the low rise buildings in Thorncliffe Park Drive are much better than the high rise ones, which I have also heard have issues, like elevator not working, noise, etc

I like the area very much as well. I preferred to move here with my wife and 2 kids as there is no one I know in Canada. I also do not own a car yet. For this reason this location is perfect for new comers. Everything is within walking distance (school, mall, halal food store, doctor's office, dentist office, mosque, restaurants, employment office, library).

It can give you an impression of over population as it a a densely populated area, especially the high rise buildings, and as someone mentioned, people may not be as friendly as you would encounter in other parts of Canada, but still they are friendly enough.

Public transport is available right in front of the apartment and I can be in downtown within 30mins. I believe that this location is ideal for newcomers, and the perfect area to stay t o get your boots on ground in Canada.

Reactions: azeemq