+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

THIS PERMIT DOES NOT AUTHORIZE THE HOLDER TO ENGAGE IN EMPLOYMENT IN CANADA

canadian.forever

Mar 29, 2019
Hello guys,

I recently received the extended study permit (extended for 90 days). In the Remarks/Observation section, it states that "THIS PERMIT DOES NOT AUTHORIZE THE HOLDER TO ENGAGE IN EMPLOYMENT IN CANADA".

So, when I went to Service Canada to update my SIN number, they said that we can't update your SIN number as your current status does not allow you to engage in any kind of employment.

My previous study permit had the 'can accept work off campus for no more than 20h/week' condition. Is there something I can do? Why did they remove it? I tried to call CIC, but as usual, I am not able to reach them.

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
IRCC has decided to impose this condition on your study permit. They can do this, even if previously they didn't.

There's nothing much you can do about this. Just wait 90 days, finish your course, and apply for a PGWP (assuming you qualify).

canadian.forever

Mar 29, 2019
IRCC has decided to impose this condition on your study permit. They can do this, even if previously they didn't.

There's nothing much you can do about this. Just wait 90 days, finish your course, and apply for a PGWP (assuming you qualify).
Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.
Can I work while waiting for the PGWP to be processed (with my current situation)? I heard that 'can work off campus' condition is required for that... I also heard it's not needed... I'm a bit lost and not sure what to believe :)

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No, you won't be able to work till you have a valid work permit. If you didn't have this explicit condition on your permit, you would have been on implied status and could have worked while you waited for the PGWP.

In your case, though, you will need a approved work permit.

canadian.forever

Mar 29, 2019
No, you won't be able to work till you have a valid work permit. If you didn't have this explicit condition on your permit, you would have been on implied status and could have worked while you waited for the PGWP.

In your case, though, you will need a approved work permit.
Thank you for your help!!

Shontae

Jan 12, 2021
I recently received the extended study permit (extended for 3 years). In the Remarks/Observation section, it states that "THIS PERMIT DOES NOT AUTHORIZE THE HOLDER TO ENGAGE IN EMPLOYMENT IN CANADA".

So, when I went to Service Canada to update my SIN number, they said that we can't update your SIN number as your current status does not allow you to engage in any kind of employment.

My previous study permit had the 'can accept work off campus for no more than 20h/week' condition. Is there something I can do? Why did they remove it? How can resolve this problem?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I recently received the extended study permit (extended for 3 years). In the Remarks/Observation section, it states that "THIS PERMIT DOES NOT AUTHORIZE THE HOLDER TO ENGAGE IN EMPLOYMENT IN CANADA".

My previous study permit had the 'can accept work off campus for no more than 20h/week' condition. Is there something I can do? Why did they remove it? How can resolve this problem?
You need to get the study permit amended to remove that condition. Google around

JessP24

Dec 7, 2021
I send my study permit to be amend and I still haven’t heard from them
Hi Shontae, when did you send your study permit for amendment? I'm in the same situation and I haven't had an answer yet. I have been waiting for 3 months

phuocpham

Mar 21, 2019
Hi Shontae, when did you send your study permit for amendment? I'm in the same situation and I haven't had an answer yet. I have been waiting for 3 months
I have similar case. I extended my SP because my program was deferred 1 term due to covid lockdown. I got new one with restricted condition no engage in off- campus work.
I amended in paper 4 months ago and I am still waiting for it. i just completed my program this week, Im gonna apply for PGWP and cannot work under implied status.