+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

This might have been asked before but please help clarify and confirm!

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello there,

I got passport request a few days ago (again and again thanks to everyone for all the support I have been receiving here!).

I am thinking about landing as soon as I got my passport back. However, currently it takes about 41 days to receive your PR card. So my question is, I am thinking about going back to my home country soon after I landed. If by the time I leave Canada, I still have not yet received my PR card, IS IT TRUE THAT I CAN COME BACK TO CANADA WITH MY COPR IF I AM CROSSING THE BOARDER WITH MY OWN CAR FROM THE US?

If anyone can clarify and confirm this that would be great.

Thanks!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wenfeizh said:
Hello there,

I got passport request a few days ago (again and again thanks to everyone for all the support I have been receiving here!).

I am thinking about landing as soon as I got my passport back. However, currently it takes about 41 days to receive your PR card. So my question is, I am thinking about going back to my home country soon after I landed. If by the time I leave Canada, I still have not yet received my PR card, IS IT TRUE THAT I CAN COME BACK TO CANADA WITH MY COPR IF I AM CROSSING THE BOARDER WITH MY OWN CAR FROM THE US?

If anyone can clarify and confirm this that would be great.

Thanks!
Yes. You may not be able to re-enter Canada if you are using a commercial transport option (as opposed to using a private vehicle to drive from the US) as you can be denied boarding the plane/train/boat/bus in the absence of your PR card (or PRTD, in lieu) as your COPR is valid only during the 1st instance of entering Canada on a commercial carrier.

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Yes. You may not be able to re-enter Canada if you are using a commercial transport option (as opposed to using a private vehicle to drive from the US) as you can be denied boarding the plane/train/boat/bus in the absence of your PR card (or PRTD, in lieu) as your COPR is valid only during the 1st instance of entering Canada on a commercial carrier.

Is this written anywhere on the IRCC website that you can enter Canada through the border with COPR if you are driving your own car (or in your friend's car)?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wenfeizh said:
Is this written anywhere on the IRCC website that you can enter Canada through the border with COPR if you are driving your own car (or in your friend's car)?
Follow the hyperlink in the previous message for additional information.

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Follow the hyperlink in the previous message for additional information.

you mean this part?

"Permanent residents of Canada who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border."

But what is FAST programs? I dont think I am member of either NEXUS or FAST...

Please advise if i am not getting this right

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wenfeizh said:
you mean this part?

"Permanent residents of Canada who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border."

But what is FAST programs? I dont think I am member of either NEXUS or FAST...

Please advise if i am not getting this right
Not really that part. The instructions aren't completely clear but they clearly distinguish between re-entering Canada in a private vehicle or a commercial carrier. Others have confirmed this in the past that you can use your COPR at land borders to enter Canada if you don't have your PR card.