+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

This is a bit different dirver license issue

andrewx

Apr 23, 2016
Hey guys! I am not sure this is the right place to ask this question but I could not find another thread regards about this topic, I thought I would give it a shot here.
I am a Chinese citizen, will be heading to Toronto for school in the next few months, I have been driving in China for at least 4 years now, then I went to South Korea and got my Korean driver license and an International driver license issued by South Korea.
I have checked out the Ontario government website, it said you can go straight to exchange for a full G license if you hold a South Korean IDL, however my Korean IDL was not issued by my OWN country,will this still works?

Thanks a lot!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
So if I understand, you have a South Korean "normal" driving license, and a Chinese International one?

That should be fine, ON accepts any of these to convert for a full license: Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Japan, Korea, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Switzerland

So you won't even need to show the Chinese one. I just gave them my UK (GB) one, they took a photo, asked me a couple of questions (not about driving but can't recall what), checked I could read something in the distance and gave me my new license in exchange for $80.

Be warned line at ServiceOntario tend to be very long if you are moving to the GTA. Take a book!

andrewx

Apr 23, 2016
jc94 said:
So if I understand, you have a South Korean "normal" driving license, and a Chinese International one?

That should be fine, ON accepts any of these to convert for a full license: Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Japan, Korea, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Switzerland

So you won't even need to show the Chinese one. I just gave them my UK (GB) one, they took a photo, asked me a couple of questions (not about driving but can't recall what), checked I could read something in the distance and gave me my new license in exchange for $80.

Be warned line at ServiceOntario tend to be very long if you are moving to the GTA. Take a book!
Thanks a lot jc94! That should be fine then.
No I actually have a normal Chinese driver license, then I have a Korean normal driver license and a Korean international driver license. Sorry about the confusion.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Yeah, unless asked (in which case be completely honest) I'd just say you are there to change your Korean one for a Canadian one and not reference having three.

The main advantage of having international ones is they are normally good for driving on for a year, instead of 2 months.
Note of course, that if you try to convert your Korean one after being in Canada 9 months ... well that might cause questions. I did it day 1 after getting my SIN, a cellphone, and a bank account -in that order :D

Good luck!

andrewx

Apr 23, 2016
jc94 said:
Yeah, unless asked (in which case be completely honest) I'd just say you are there to change your Korean one for a Canadian one and not reference having three.

The main advantage of having international ones is they are normally good for driving on for a year, instead of 2 months.
Note of course, that if you try to convert your Korean one after being in Canada 9 months ... well that might cause questions. I did it day 1 after getting my SIN, a cellphone, and a bank account -in that order :D

Good luck!
Thanks a lot jc94!! I really appreciated it! Thats actually a great order! Haha
Sorry about this question, if they do ask for your ID, such as passport, then it would show my Chinese nationality, wouldnt that be a problem?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I wouldn't think that will be an issue, if I had to show my passport at all (and I don't think I did) it was only to prove that I had a valid permit to be living in Canada.

andrewx

Apr 23, 2016
jc94 said:
I wouldn't think that will be an issue, if I had to show my passport at all (and I don't think I did) it was only to prove that I had a valid permit to be living in Canada.
Alright! Thanks a lot!!

kirch

Jan 26, 2010
andrewx said:
Thanks a lot jc94!! I really appreciated it! Thats actually a great order! Haha
Sorry about this question, if they do ask for your ID, such as passport, then it would show my Chinese nationality, wouldnt that be a problem?
Hey,I moved from US to Canada and swapped by US license to Ontario License.
I am not a US citizen and not asked for passport as I showed my PR Card and SIN card

So the same will be with you !

andrewx

Apr 23, 2016
kirch said:
Hey,I moved from US to Canada and swapped by US license to Ontario License.
I am not a US citizen and not asked for passport as I showed my PR Card and SIN card

So the same will be with you !
Haha Okay! Thanks!!