+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thirteen days buffer

BadVlad

Nov 13, 2016
I became PR on Apr 16, 2008 and time has finally come for citizenship application!
Will be eligible on Nov 18, but Dec 01, 2016 marks tenth anniversary since I first set my foot on Canadian soil and this is tempting me to apply exactly on that date.
Since Aug 2012, I had only one longer absence to visit old country and spend time with extended family, so there is no possibility of forgotten trips/mistaken dates.
Gathered all documents (including supporting letters from current employer and landlord), made online payment...
Left presence calculator printout for the last morning when I plan to mail application.

In last six years I was unemployed for total of seven months due to shortage of work/end of contract/seasonal lay off.
In work/education column I have written UNEMPLOYED, and in employer or school attended column I have listed above reasons for mentioned periods. Is this correct way of filling out 6H(C)?

I appreciate everyone's input!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
13 days buffer should be ok if you are pretty sure of your entry/exit dates.

Yes, filling in UNEMPLOYED / SEARCHING FOR JOB should be fine

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I tend to think that being "pretty sure" of exit and entry dates is not good enough, even with a much longer buffer. The obligation is to accurately report ALL dates of exit and entry. IRCC tends to be a little flexible for minimal discrepancies, but the amount of leeway allowed likely varies depending on multiple factors.

Applicants should make a concerted effort to make sure all trips are reported, and that the reported dates are accurate. If the applicant is the least bit less than certain about the dates, try harder and have a longer buffer. It is not just about the total number of days, but about the extent to which IRCC can rely on the applicant to be an accurate reporter -- that is, getting it right is as much about the applicant's credibility as it is about the counting of days. And make no mistake, the applicant's credibility is a huge, huge factor.

If certain the dates of exit and entry are accurate, a relatively small buffer should not be a problem. Personally, I might lean toward more, but that would be the more conservative approach.

Caveat: many, many have been certain of their dates but still made mistakes. A common mistake, for example, is declaring date of exit based on a passport stamp indicating date of entry abroad, when in fact the flight was scheduled to depart Canada the day before (late day and red eye Trans-Atlantic flights) or even two days before (many Trans-Pacific flights). Also common are errors derived from what was recalled as a day trip to the U.S. but actual return to Canada was after midnight. Another common cause of error is report based on date plane arrives but given a late night arrival the actual check-in with PoE was not until after midnight (being on the tarmac is not being in Canada; thus being on a flight scheduled to take off before midnight means leaving Canada that day, even if the plane does not actually depart until well after midnight; same for arrivals, again, the traveler does not actually enter Canada until PoE is cleared).

Reminder: If the application itself is completed sometime prior to the day it is mailed, be certain to compare the application and review the instructions on the IRCC web site as of the day the application is being mailed. The form can and does change periodically. It is important to use the application and follow the instructions current to the day the application is sent.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
"pretty sure" was my quote. The OP said there is no chance of mistaken dates so if that is the case, I think the OP is in good shape.

BadVlad

Nov 13, 2016
Thank you kindly both for your contribution!

I had only one absence from Canada in relevant period, and there is no any doubt about the dates.
I've seen form changed few times since the beginning of this year and I'll make sure to print it out on a day the application is mailed out.