+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thinking of changing my first name. Please advise

will2009

Dec 27, 2017
Hello,

I moved to Canada as an international student in 2018 and became a PR in early 2020. I am thinking of changing my first name but I could not find a lot of resources to read about what the implications might be, so I am relying to this community to help me figure it out. I have some specific questions I would love to hear from you guys, especially those who have gone through the process.
  1. After I change my first name, would they issue me another PR card with the new name?
  2. Do I have trouble traveling in/ out of Canada given that my passport still bears my old name? I don't think my country would change the name on my passport. So basically my passport with has X as my name while my PR card will have Y as my name (different first name, same last name). Is it a lot of hassle to travel in / out with name descripancies?
  3. I am working in Canada, would this name change require a lot of hassle to get it sorted out with different entities such as CRA, employer, pension, etc.?
  4. I really want to change my name to an English name for easier communication but have been wondering when would be the best timing to do so? Do it now while I am still a PR, or wait until I become a Canadian citizen so I will have a Canadian passport?
  5. Any other potential implications/ issues/ troubles relating to name change that I am not yet aware of?
Thank you!

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello,

I moved to Canada as an international student in 2018 and became a PR in early 2020. I am thinking of changing my first name but I could not find a lot of resources to read about what the implications might be, so I am relying to this community to help me figure it out. I have some specific questions I would love to hear from you guys, especially those who have gone through the process.
  1. After I change my first name, would they issue me another PR card with the new name?
  2. Do I have trouble traveling in/ out of Canada given that my passport still bears my old name? I don't think my country would change the name on my passport. So basically my passport with has X as my name while my PR card will have Y as my name (different first name, same last name). Is it a lot of hassle to travel in / out with name descripancies?
  3. I am working in Canada, would this name change require a lot of hassle to get it sorted out with different entities such as CRA, employer, pension, etc.?
  4. I really want to change my name to an English name for easier communication but have been wondering when would be the best timing to do so? Do it now while I am still a PR, or wait until I become a Canadian citizen so I will have a Canadian passport?
  5. Any other potential implications/ issues/ troubles relating to name change that I am not yet aware of?
Thank you!
If you change your name, you have to update all your documents;
1.- you need a new PR Card with your name ( almost 5-6 month waiting time for the new one);
2.- you need a new passport with your new name;
3.- update all the information in Canada;
4.- wait until to citizenship to change your name; use a legal nick name (alias);
5.- time and money.

Reactions: Islander216

vellocet

Jun 9, 2019
The above information is wrong. You don't need to change the name on your passport, that involves a name change in your home country. Just continue to make your international flight bookings in the old name. And carry a copy of your certificate of name change with you in case you need it.

• Haha
Reactions: mpsqra