+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things to know when immigrating to Canada

canadadiaries

Mar 23, 2016
Hi

As a new immigrant I would like to share some things which you would want to know when moving to Canada.

Please visit this link for more

As a new immigrant to Canada, I have gone through the whole process and I understand that it can be very stressful when moving to a different country. There are a lot of questions which needs to be considered and I have tried to answer some of the questions which I had and which most people have. These are purely based on my experience as a new resident and it may vary to some extent with different people depending on their financial circumstances and expectations.

Best time of the year to relocate/move to Canada

Trust me this is a very important question as the normal rules don't apply when it comes to Canadian weather specially winters. In winters you would just want to stay at home as it would be freezing outside and as a new resident you have a lot to do.

So the ideal time I would have to say would be Summers but late spring or early winter would also do. The best would be between April - October. This is a great time because the days are longer and warmer and it is easier to move around and take the bus or TTC while you get your documents done or give interviews for a new job or go hunting for a place to live.

Documentation to be done as soon as you land in Canada

There are a lot of documentation which needs to be done when you move to Canada as an immigrant like your Health Card, SIN number, Bank Accounts etc

SIN (Social Insurance Number): This is the first thing you should get done. If you get an early flight into Canada, then you can get it done at the airport. You will get a paper with your details and you should guard it with your life as it is your first identity as a new Canadian resident. It is advised not to share it with anyone unless necessary like employers, bankers etc. You can check for additional details and places you can apply here
Health Card : This is 2nd most important document for you. It depends on the province you want to live in. For some provinces, you are immediately covered when you enter Canada while for some like Ontario your coverage starts 3 months after you have landed in Canada. For more details visit the Service Canada site here
Driver's License: It depends on when you want to get this done. My advise is to get started when you have time and before winter would be best. Even though the public transport is great here but it takes a lot of time and also sometimes the waiting time between connections could be long.
If you are a license holder in your home country, then I would advise you to get a summary for your license.You can find information on Driver's license here

Jobs

First you should evaluate what industry you are working in and the job grade you are at. Do your research and go thru the Job Descriptions for similar jobs. Create a brilliant LinkedIn profile or update it if you have one already to reflect your achievements in your career. Create profiles on job portals which are prominent in Canada. It would not harm to contact recruitment consultants related to your industry. It is ideal to start the interview process before you land or at least have some lined up to get started immediately.

Some great websites your Job Search which definitely helped me are:

LinkedIn
Workopolis
Indeed
Monster
Housing

This is a tricky one because it is more of a personal choice and the size of the family but here's what we did. You have to consider things like location, proximity to school/colleges, transit system etc.

When we initially landed we stayed at our aunt's place and started looking at basement apartments as they cost lesser (between CAD 700-1000) as compared to a regular apartment. Since it was just the two of us so basement apartment was a good idea. Also since none of us had any jobs at that time so we were essentially using our savings. Once we got a job we moved to an apartment. A good 2 bedroom apartment in central Mississauga where I live is (between CAD 1200- 2000 ) depending on how old or new the building/apartment is. You can rent or lease houses as well.

Some great resources are:

Kijiji
Remax
Century 21
Another advise would be live in an area which is more central to the city as it is more alive with things happening as when you are new to a place you might get depressed in a slow moving area. Again just my personal opinion. You should stay where you feel most comfortable.

Lastly something I am asked a lot "Is it a good idea?"

Well it depends. If you are very happy in your current life situation and your financial circumstances, then you might want to look at the pros and cons. Pros being great schools, infrastructure, less pollution, less population , definitely better standard of living. Cons and please understand I come from India where we had household help so the biggest con is that you have to do all the household work yourself. If you have a lot of money then ofcourse you can go ahead and hire people to do that as well.

Thank you so much for your time and patience.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

canadadiaries.com/home/2016/3/23/things-to-remember-when-immigrating-to-canada

Thanks

canadadiaries

Mar 23, 2016
Please visit the link at the bottom of the previous post for direct links to all resources. I couldn't publish links here so you will have to visit the canadadiaries site.

Thanks

shashidhar_sm

May 21, 2015
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
07-07-2017
canadadiaries said:
Please visit the link at the bottom of the previous post for direct links to all resources. I couldn't publish links here so you will have to visit the canadadiaries site.

Thanks
This is quite useful, thank you!

Mar 25, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-11-2015
Med's Done....
28-10-2015
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2016
LANDED..........
27-10-2016
canadadiaries said:
Hi

As a new immigrant I would like to share some things which you would want to know when moving to Canada.

Please visit this link for more

As a new immigrant to Canada, I have gone through the whole process and I understand that it can be very stressful when moving to a different country. There are a lot of questions which needs to be considered and I have tried to answer some of the questions which I had and which most people have. These are purely based on my experience as a new resident and it may vary to some extent with different people depending on their financial circumstances and expectations.

Best time of the year to relocate/move to Canada

Trust me this is a very important question as the normal rules don't apply when it comes to Canadian weather specially winters. In winters you would just want to stay at home as it would be freezing outside and as a new resident you have a lot to do.

So the ideal time I would have to say would be Summers but late spring or early winter would also do. The best would be between April - October. This is a great time because the days are longer and warmer and it is easier to move around and take the bus or TTC while you get your documents done or give interviews for a new job or go hunting for a place to live.

Documentation to be done as soon as you land in Canada

There are a lot of documentation which needs to be done when you move to Canada as an immigrant like your Health Card, SIN number, Bank Accounts etc

SIN (Social Insurance Number): This is the first thing you should get done. If you get an early flight into Canada, then you can get it done at the airport. You will get a paper with your details and you should guard it with your life as it is your first identity as a new Canadian resident. It is advised not to share it with anyone unless necessary like employers, bankers etc. You can check for additional details and places you can apply here
Health Card : This is 2nd most important document for you. It depends on the province you want to live in. For some provinces, you are immediately covered when you enter Canada while for some like Ontario your coverage starts 3 months after you have landed in Canada. For more details visit the Service Canada site here
Driver's License: It depends on when you want to get this done. My advise is to get started when you have time and before winter would be best. Even though the public transport is great here but it takes a lot of time and also sometimes the waiting time between connections could be long.
If you are a license holder in your home country, then I would advise you to get a summary for your license.You can find information on Driver's license here

Jobs

First you should evaluate what industry you are working in and the job grade you are at. Do your research and go thru the Job Descriptions for similar jobs. Create a brilliant LinkedIn profile or update it if you have one already to reflect your achievements in your career. Create profiles on job portals which are prominent in Canada. It would not harm to contact recruitment consultants related to your industry. It is ideal to start the interview process before you land or at least have some lined up to get started immediately.

Some great websites your Job Search which definitely helped me are:

LinkedIn
Workopolis
Indeed
Monster
Housing

This is a tricky one because it is more of a personal choice and the size of the family but here's what we did. You have to consider things like location, proximity to school/colleges, transit system etc.

When we initially landed we stayed at our aunt's place and started looking at basement apartments as they cost lesser (between CAD 700-1000) as compared to a regular apartment. Since it was just the two of us so basement apartment was a good idea. Also since none of us had any jobs at that time so we were essentially using our savings. Once we got a job we moved to an apartment. A good 2 bedroom apartment in central Mississauga where I live is (between CAD 1200- 2000 ) depending on how old or new the building/apartment is. You can rent or lease houses as well.

Some great resources are:

Kijiji
Remax
Century 21
Another advise would be live in an area which is more central to the city as it is more alive with things happening as when you are new to a place you might get depressed in a slow moving area. Again just my personal opinion. You should stay where you feel most comfortable.

Lastly something I am asked a lot "Is it a good idea?"

Well it depends. If you are very happy in your current life situation and your financial circumstances, then you might want to look at the pros and cons. Pros being great schools, infrastructure, less pollution, less population , definitely better standard of living. Cons and please understand I come from India where we had household help so the biggest con is that you have to do all the household work yourself. If you have a lot of money then ofcourse you can go ahead and hire people to do that as well.

Thank you so much for your time and patience.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

canadadiaries.com/home/2016/3/23/things-to-remember-when-immigrating-to-canada

Thanks
great stuff thanks a lot

Aal_

Feb 28, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
23-02-2017 / Passed: 12-07-2017
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
Nice write up. Thanks. My only nightmare is not finding a job.

From your experience, if someone has good experience according to worldwide standards, is he handicapped just because he is an immigrant?

Han

Feb 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016 :)
Aal_ said:

From your experience, if someone has good experience according to worldwide standards, is he handicapped just because he is an immigrant?
No! Almost everyone is an immigrant in Canada!

Aal_

Feb 28, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
23-02-2017 / Passed: 12-07-2017
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
Han said:
No! Almost everyone is an immigrant in Canada!
How do I give +1 :D

Musikwala

Sep 14, 2014
Johannesburg, SA
Visa Office......
Pretoria, SA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2015
Nomination.....
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2015
Med's Done....
10-11-2015
Passport Req..
14-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
Thanks a lot for sharing your real life experience! +1 to you.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Aal_ said:

Canadian employers value Canadian work experiences and exposures to industry much higher than foreign experiences. Doesn't matter if your experiences are from other first world countries. Many professions have domestic standards and procedures that doesn't apply outside the country.
--
There are studies showing people with an "immigrant" first and last name has disadvantage in the eyes of hiring personnel. And I have heard of many stories about "glass-ceiling" in large corporations just because you have a wrong last name.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/how-an-ethnic-sounding-name-may-affect-the-job-hunt/article555082/
--
But you never know until you try.

canadadiaries

Mar 23, 2016
Aal_ said:

I wouldn't say that finding a job is easy or difficult. It depends. I am in Marketing and it was competitively difficult for me as compared to my husband who is a software engineer.
I guess in marketing it is important to have local market knowledge but software/finance/medicine are some of the fields which don't change with country.

I would again suggest that there are tremendous opportunities in Canada for all sectors and jobs you just need to prepare yourself and align with the recruiter needs. If you are fit for the job, you will get it.

Thanks

Kumarp

Star Member
Dec 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2015
AOR Received.
28-11-2015
Med's Done....
16-12-2015 Passed
Guys if you are looking for jobs in Canada, look out for job consultants like Aplin group, Manpower, Roberthalf, Headhunters etc., they are very helpful. Many of my immigrant friends were able to find a good job through one of these consultants. Be patient and be ready to accept rejections. It's all about having the right skills, meeting the right person at the right place, at the right time, things will fall in place real quick.

Get involved in meetup communities in your area and network with people from your field of interest, that is one of the proven ways to land in a job ---> http://www.meetup.com/

Kumarp

Star Member
Dec 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2015
AOR Received.
28-11-2015
Med's Done....
16-12-2015 Passed
mf4361 said:
Canadian employers value Canadian work experiences and exposures to industry much higher than foreign experiences. Doesn't matter if your experiences are from other first world countries. Many professions have domestic standards and procedures that doesn't apply outside the country.
--
There are studies showing people with an "immigrant" first and last name has disadvantage in the eyes of hiring personnel. And I have heard of many stories about "glass-ceiling" in large corporations just because you have a wrong last name.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/how-an-ethnic-sounding-name-may-affect-the-job-hunt/article555082/
--
But you never know until you try.
Yes, that is true in some ways. There is a bit of racial and gender discrimination at some places (though all companies boast about zero tolerance to such discrimination) and people may not prefer candidates with ethnic sounding names, but you shouldn't lose your identity for that matter, use whatever name you are currently using and trust me you wouldn't want to work for such people anyway, so why waste time and energy?

Compared to other countries, Canada is by large a very open and free nation, people in general care only about the skills you carry with you and your last name won't even matter. (My coworkers still can't pronounce my last name ;D ;D :p :p )

Good luck to each one of you!