+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things to do for credit history - Before moving to Canada?

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Please direct me to another link if this has already been discussed.

Me and my wife planning to move to Canada in next 1-2 yrs. Both are on H1-B here in US
Is there anything that you can suggest we should start doing today to make sure we have some credit history getting build when we land in Canada?

I heard about American Express global credit card that can be "linked" to new country when we move?
Anything else?

TIA

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
I moved from the states to Canada and there is no such thing of transferring over your credit score. You must have a valid Social Insurance Number to build credit in Canada.
Thanks. We are thinking of getting our soft landing for PR coming March-Apr. Plan is to move in next 1-2 yrs.
Anything anyone would recommend doing along with my soft landing? (SIN, Insurance, opening bank account/credit card etc?)

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Thanks. We are thinking of getting our soft landing for PR coming March-Apr. Plan is to move in next 1-2 yrs.
Anything anyone would recommend doing along with my soft landing? (SIN, Insurance, opening bank account/credit card etc?)
Are you going to take up permanent residency in Canada and go back to the states for another 1-2 years? if so, you should consider the residency requirements imposed on Canadian PRs. The Government of Canada has increasingly been enforcing this requirement as lots of new landed immigrants leave Canada after the landing process is completed.

Sk081

Aug 24, 2014
I have the same question. I plan to move permanently after a year. It would be a great help if we could get some feedback from experienced members.