+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thesis defense and PGWP

Everknight

Jun 20, 2017
I am currently a PhD student and I was scheduled to deliver my thesis defense by April of this year (my last term). However, due to the Covid-19 outbreak my defense has been postponed for the Summer and I will need to register for the summer term as a part-time student. This wasn't by choice but by my program and university policies for the pandemic. I am afraid that my PGWP will be denied as I will lose my full-time status next term, do you guys think that such cases can be considered exceptional and I can still obtain my work permit?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

I am currently a PhD student and I was scheduled to deliver my thesis defense by April of this year (my last term). However, due to the Covid-19 outbreak my defense has been postponed for the Summer and I will need to register for the summer term as a part-time student. This wasn't by choice but by my program and university policies for the pandemic. I am afraid that my PGWP will be denied as I will lose my full-time status next term, do you guys think that such cases can be considered exceptional and I can still obtain my work permit?

1. You PGWP is safe, as you can be a part time student in your last semester.

canadian-gentleman

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Like PMM said, being part time is fine in you final term.

Are you sure you would be part time though? As long as I am a (PhD) student I have to register for a course called Dissertation. That course is worth so many units that I am automatically full time.

As long as you have not defended, your dissertation is not complete and you would have to register for that course if you were at my university. Does your uni work differently?