+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow(bridge) my flagpole experience

slw

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-17
AOR Received.
30-01-17
Med's Done....
27-02-17
Passport Req..
18-04-17
LANDED..........
28-04-17
Hello everyone! Just wanted to share my landing/flagpoling experience.
After 5 hours and 2 bridges later...i successfully did my landing. Let me explain what happened in detail.
1. I went yesterday to the rainbow bridge at Niagara Falls at around 10.30pm. I thought this would be a quick stop.
2. I paid 50 cents to exit the bridge and walk 2 minutes to the USA border.
3. Entered the US side, told them I wanted to flagpole and they immediately handed me a refusal letter. It was pretty quick and so far so good.
4. I walked back to the Canada side and told the Canadian agents I was here to do my landing. They gave me a yellow slip and told me to go to the building next door. I handed my passport and my yellow slip to another agent and he told me it was going to take 1-2 hours. There were only 20 people but because they came in pairs/family there were only about 10 people ahead of me.
5. 3 hours later, I was still waiting... at this point there were 40 of us. Throughout the time I could hear agents complaining that they are not an immigration officer and it seemed that doing landing paperwork was a tedious task for them. I didn't feel welcomed and felt treated like a second class citizen.
6. Then came an officer and he seemed pretty angry. He said that 12 people just crossed the border and are claiming refugee status. And then told us to leave because it might take up to 48 hours before he can take any flagpoling case. He said things like "what do you expect?", "you are not a priority" ,"this is what happens when you come without an appointment", "i don't come to your place of work at midnight expecting service". He left and didn't give us any alternatives or help us work a solution. We all thought that because this is 24 hours place they will accept people. The whole room was silent and nobody moved because we were in shock, especially those who have been here over 5 hours. And there was so many questions like.."what status are we in now?" "are we even allowed to leave since we just flagpoled and haven't finalized our status in Canada". It was pretty upsetting (not at those claiming refugee status but by the way we were being treated).
7. Then came another agent and she was more sympathetic to our situation and explained to us that we will have to leave and come back another time and do it again (exiting to the US, getting refusal, and coming back). She told us there were other places we could cross.
8. So we then asked for our passports back, drove 20 minutes to the next crossing (queenston lewiston). We again, exit to the US, got the refusal, came back to Canada. We had to drive since there is no pedestrian crossing. It was empty, we were the only ones in queue and waited half an hour for the whole process to be completed. We met some nice people here and chatted. Now it was 3am and we finally became PR!

Some thoughts:
-I feel the border crossings are understaffed and see us as added extra work for them. And although I sympathize with them, we still deserve respect.
-With the amount of ITAs increasing, this is going to be a bigger issue.
-Come with patience and do not let anyone damp your experience. I have waited 9 years for this moment and I thought I was going to be crying of happiness. Instead I was tired, stressed and angry. And this is a moment I can never get back and I regret feeling so much anger in the moment . So please when you do the landing try to stay positive and enjoy the experience
-Lastly, there were some nice agents along the way (US and Canada) who were helpful and nice. I just wish whatever issues the other ones are facing (understaffed, getting a bad work schedule, overloaded with work), do not take your frustration on us. We just want to get our paperwork done and start a new life as a permanent residence.

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
Feel sorry for you. Congrats on a PR.
But Looks like American officers behave more like Canadians and Canadian officers behave more like Americans. 8)

student7872014

Jan 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
slw said:
Hello everyone! Just wanted to share my landing/flagpoling experience.
After 5 hours and 2 bridges later...i successfully did my landing. Let me explain what happened in detail.
1. I went yesterday to the rainbow bridge at Niagara Falls at around 10.30pm. I thought this would be a quick stop.
2. I paid 50 cents to exit the bridge and walk 2 minutes to the USA border.
3. Entered the US side, told them I wanted to flagpole and they immediately handed me a refusal letter. It was pretty quick and so far so good.
4. I walked back to the Canada side and told the Canadian agents I was here to do my landing. They gave me a yellow slip and told me to go to the building next door. I handed my passport and my yellow slip to another agent and he told me it was going to take 1-2 hours. There were only 20 people but because they came in pairs/family there were only about 10 people ahead of me.
5. 3 hours later, I was still waiting... at this point there were 40 of us. Throughout the time I could hear agents complaining that they are not an immigration officer and it seemed that doing landing paperwork was a tedious task for them. I didn't feel welcomed and felt treated like a second class citizen.
6. Then came an officer and he seemed pretty angry. He said that 12 people just crossed the border and are claiming refugee status. And then told us to leave because it might take up to 48 hours before he can take any flagpoling case. He said things like "what do you expect?", "you are not a priority" ,"this is what happens when you come without an appointment", "i don't come to your place of work at midnight expecting service". He left and didn't give us any alternatives or help us work a solution. We all thought that because this is 24 hours place they will accept people. The whole room was silent and nobody moved because we were in shock, especially those who have been here over 5 hours. And there was so many questions like.."what status are we in now?" "are we even allowed to leave since we just flagpoled and haven't finalized our status in Canada". It was pretty upsetting (not at those claiming refugee status but by the way we were being treated).
7. Then came another agent and she was more sympathetic to our situation and explained to us that we will have to leave and come back another time and do it again (exiting to the US, getting refusal, and coming back). She told us there were other places we could cross.
8. So we then asked for our passports back, drove 20 minutes to the next crossing (queenston lewiston). We again, exit to the US, got the refusal, came back to Canada. We had to drive since there is no pedestrian crossing. It was empty, we were the only ones in queue and waited half an hour for the whole process to be completed. We met some nice people here and chatted. Now it was 3am and we finally became PR!

Some thoughts:
-I feel the border crossings are understaffed and see us as added extra work for them. And although I sympathize with them, we still deserve respect.
-With the amount of ITAs increasing, this is going to be a bigger issue.
-Come with patience and do not let anyone damp your experience. I have waited 9 years for this moment and I thought I was going to be crying of happiness. Instead I was tired, stressed and angry. And this is a moment I can never get back and I regret feeling so much anger in the moment . So please when you do the landing try to stay positive and enjoy the experience
-Lastly, there were some nice agents along the way (US and Canada) who were helpful and nice. I just wish whatever issues the other ones are facing (understaffed, getting a bad work schedule, overloaded with work), do not take your frustration on us. We just want to get our paperwork done and start a new life as a permanent residence.
Congrats!

Wow. 9 years is a very long time... and you applied under CEC... That is quite unusual...

slw

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-17
AOR Received.
30-01-17
Med's Done....
27-02-17
Passport Req..
18-04-17
LANDED..........
28-04-17
can_indian said:
Feel sorry for you. Congrats on a PR.
But Looks like American officers behave more like Canadians and Canadian officers behave more like Americans. 8)
No need to feel sorry, it's a happy day getting pr. But I just wanted to share my experience for the next people who have to flagpole in the near future.

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
slw said:
No need to feel sorry, it's a happy day getting pr. But I just wanted to share my experience for the next people who have to flagpole in the near future.
I meant to say that I didn't imagine Canadian officer would behave in such manners.

Many congrats on getting a Permanent Residency.

Nitz_Au

Jan 26, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
June 30,2016
Med's Request
Medical Passed July18
Passport Req..
Nov 17,2016
LANDED..........
June 28,2017
Congrats on your PR! Did you come on the weekends to complete the landing process? I read that it wasn't the best time to land.

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
Nitz_Au said:
Congrats on your PR! Did you come on the weekends to complete the landing process? I read that it wasn't the best time to land.
Seems like on Saturday they did landing. Weekends are pretty busy.

vzoo

Star Member
Feb 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lmao, that's so unlucky. I did my landing at Rainbow Bridge as well.
The day I went, it was a slow day for them. One group of two people in front of me and when I left, it was empty.
Everyone was super nice and the whole process took about 20 mins.
I guess the refugee cases do make a difference. When they face a pile of work in front of them in the middle of the night, they just can't stay nice anymore.