+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The minimum of company information in the reference letter

leo512

Jun 1, 2019
Tokyo
Category........
Other
Hi everyone! Hope you all are doing good!
I’ve got this question to ask: what is the minimum of company information required to be included in the reference letter? The company where I’m working is only a small one. There is no company website and the email is a gmail. The reference letter I already have in hand doesn’t include the email. Would this become a problem? Or do I need to ask the company for a new reference letter which includes the email? Please do help and reply! Thank you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ali Ishag

Tanglechuu

Star Member
Jan 24, 2020
Please see here for the official requirements. In particular, this is the important paragraph (emphasis mine):

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

• a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
So, they do specifically mention the email address, but I assume your company has included other contact information. CIC wants as much information as possible to determine this is legitimate, especially since this company has no web presence. If your employer is willing I would get a new one (I assume they only need to edit a few things such as date and add the email and sign it, which is honestly not a lot of effort). But if they are unwilling, I would guess if other contact info is included you wouldn't be rejected outright.

leo512

Jun 1, 2019
Tokyo
Category........
Other
Please see here for the official requirements. In particular, this is the important paragraph (emphasis mine):

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

• a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
So, they do specifically mention the email address, but I assume your company has included other contact information. CIC wants as much information as possible to determine this is legitimate, especially since this company has no web presence. If your employer is willing I would get a new one (I assume they only need to edit a few things such as date and add the email and sign it, which is honestly not a lot of effort). But if they are unwilling, I would guess if other contact info is included you wouldn't be rejected outright.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, the reference letter i have right now has the company name, address, phone number and the director's name and signature along with his phone number. It seems only the email address is not included. I am not sure if the director would be willing to give me a new reference letter... And i don't really want to bother asking cuz it's already sooo difficult to get this one.
Along with the reference letter, i'm gonna also submit my employment contract, my salary pay stubs, bank slip, and relieving letter. Do you think these are enough to get approved for my work experience? Or do i need to submit any other documents such as tax return?

Last edited:

mvneema10

Oct 21, 2019
Have you submitted your PR application and how did it work for you? My previous company is not willing to provide company email address in the letterhead however they have mentioned it in the email "if there are any queries you can reach out to us through xxxx@xx.com". I m planning to attach this document as a supporting document for the email address. Is it ok in this regard?

Ali Ishag

Dec 1, 2017
Hi everyone! Hope you all are doing good!
I’ve got this question to ask: what is the minimum of company information required to be included in the reference letter? The company where I’m working is only a small one. There is no company website and the email is a gmail. The reference letter I already have in hand doesn’t include the email. Would this become a problem? Or do I need to ask the company for a new reference letter which includes the email? Please do help and reply! Thank you all!
Did it work for u? I have the same case here .