14-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
30-08-2011
Kaycee1 said:
I think this example was posted as an example of what NOT to do in a resume!! As an employer myself, I can say I don't even look at resumes that have spelling/grammatical mistakes and are obviously form resumes dropped off at hundreds of businesses. However, if I get a resume that has a nice cover letter specifically mentioning my company by name without spelling mistakes, I'm much more likely to look at it!!
I am the same way. I throw out a lot of resumes that I review coming in, due to grammar and spelling errors.

Feaky Snucker

Star Member
Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2011
AOR Received.
11-03-2011
Med's Done....
29-06-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-09-2011
LANDED..........
Next Wednesday, barring catastrophe.
B.C can be a harder place to find a job, it's more competitive for the most part than other provinces, simply due to supply and demand.

In cases such as that, it's more who you know, rather than what you know. Go out and try to meet friends, and network. Even volunteering somewhere one day a week can be good for meeting other people who may know someone that is hiring.

Keep trying!

asurania

Star Member
Feb 2, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-29-2010 (Lost) Resubmitted 16-02-2011
Doc's Request.
16-03-2011
AOR Received.
28-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-02-2011
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2011
LANDED..........
26-07-2011
Feaky Snucker said:
B.C can be a harder place to find a job, it's more competitive for the most part than other provinces, simply due to supply and demand.

In cases such as that, it's more who you know, rather than what you know. Go out and try to meet friends, and network. Even volunteering somewhere one day a week can be good for meeting other people who may know someone that is hiring.

Keep trying!
personally I would say get your resume done professionally (obviously you need to put in your hard work, the editors will just fix up grammer mistakes, and word it better)
Also get interview mentoring done

and best Get on facebook, and linkend join groups, add people, and email and get names of recuiters from the hiring agencies (SI SYSTEM, TEK SYSTEM, MANPOWER etc)

and when dealing with those recuiting agency, have some names to give them to...i scratch your back, you scratch mine

richie4U

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA GHANA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 october 2010
File Transfer...
15 november 2010
Med's Done....
08 august 2010
Interview........
01 febuary 2011
VISA ISSUED...
01 febuary 2011
LANDED..........
08 febuary 2011
yeah my reusme is good and i have B.sc educational physcology , and other colleges degree like
with computer studies, national service,avation college, and hoping some day i will
get a better job yeah i have applied in so many places look like i send my resume into space
but i got a small job now part time.

ify

Jan 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
mailed 24/01/11
AOR Received.
02/03/2011
File Transfer...
23/03/2011
Med's Done....
06/12/2010
Interview........
04/04/2011
@ Ritchie4u, having a strong resume is your best bet. I worked in HR for some years, and I can tell you that tailoring your resume to match the job description is very important. Some orgs use a soft ware to filter resumes that don't fit the profile of the job, and if your resume lacks the keywords in the job description, then it will be thrown out, It will not even get the chance to be reviewed by a real human being.
Also, I will advise you to attend interviews, even if you don't want the job, it will help boost your confidence as well as sharpen your interview skills.
Try out these websites;
www.indeed.ca
www.workopolis.com
www.monster.ca
And its okay if you have multiple resumes, just be sharp enough to remember which one you sent to where. Lastly, never be afraid or intimidated by what you see in the job description, just break it down to your own understanding, you will be suprised to find out that its a job you can do.
Hope this helps....

buffalo-toronto

Feb 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2011
AOR Received.
August 2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
29-01-2011
Interview........
Waived
I have studied and worked in US all my life and have had experiences of lack of jobs and less pay in Canada as my uncle stays there. I have worked as a consultant(Analyst/PM) but luckily working in Toronto area I have been able to find excellent pay as a contractor. I have been working as a recruiter too in US so know the in and out of this business.

I have my own company now in Canada and work with many recruiters so if anyone has worked before as an Analysts or Project managers can contact me and we can work out something.

Lot of people try to hide their actual intentions and lure people in companies, I am being direct in marketing my company but then needy people get jobs too.

Think about it.

chinook65

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
Colorado
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2011
Nomination.....
18-04-2011
AOR Received.
28-04-2011
File Transfer...
18-04-2011
Med's Done....
09-29-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2011
LANDED..........
01-09-2011
Hang in there. Something will come along.

For those waiting for PR approval, this approach may help. I researched the companies and organizations within my industry and profession in the city I'm relocating to, found who I believed to be the senior-most person within the company (on their website) and sent them an email. In the email, I provided a brief background about myself and my intentions to relocate. I also mentioned that I would be visiting the city (Calgary, in my case) and would enjoy meeting with them to discuss potential job opportunities with them or in the industry. Low and behold, I'm meeting with two companies next week when we visit Calgary!

I worded the letter in a way that was humble, non-obligatory (meaning I didn't expect anything other than a good conversation) and grammatically correct. The key is to be as proactive as you can and put your best foot forward. Include something in your letter and resume that shows your value above all other candidates.

And get on Twitter and see what people are chatting about and connect with people to learn about the buzz in the area.

When I get my PR, I want to make sure I am in a position to be part of the community and enjoy what's going on so the shell-shock of relocating won't be too harsh.

Hope this helps! Good luck all!

richie4U

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA GHANA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 october 2010
File Transfer...
15 november 2010
Med's Done....
08 august 2010
Interview........
01 febuary 2011
VISA ISSUED...
01 febuary 2011
LANDED..........
08 febuary 2011
ify said:
@ Ritchie4u, having a strong resume is your best bet. I worked in HR for some years, and I can tell you that tailoring your resume to match the job description is very important. Some orgs use a soft ware to filter resumes that don't fit the profile of the job, and if your resume lacks the keywords in the job description, then it will be thrown out, It will not even get the chance to be reviewed by a real human being.
Also, I will advise you to attend interviews, even if you don't want the job, it will help boost your confidence as well as sharpen your interview skills.
Try out these websites;
www.indeed.ca
www.workopolis.com
www.monster.ca
And its okay if you have multiple resumes, just be sharp enough to remember which one you sent to where. Lastly, never be afraid or intimidated by what you see in the job description, just break it down to your own understanding, you will be suprised to find out that its a job you can do.
Hope this helps....
THANKS ify i hope i just keep searching am in B.C and i think is hard to find a job there, anyways i will keep trying, and how is your hubby visa coming up i hope everything is going on well, wish you guys all the best.

Jurjen

Nov 1, 2010
Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
ify said:
@ Ritchie4u, having a strong resume is your best bet. I worked in HR for some years, and I can tell you that tailoring your resume to match the job description is very important.
I don't know about that. My father in law did HR for years, but he just saw a lot of people with fake CVs, so he stopped paying attention to it. My current boss probably still has no clue what is in my CV, but he still hired me. It's more important to have the right contacts that introduce you to the right people and that you say the right things at the interview. They'll know if you're ready for the job, whatever your CV says.

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
I agree and disagree with Jurjen at some points. Yes, if you have connection and know the right people, they can get you a job easier than trying to do it on your own. However not every newcomer has a social network, especially at the first couple of weeks. An attractive and well done resume can go a long way. Also, if you drop off your resumes in person and that way the potential employers can get to know you. Do not give up, you need to be consistent. Try temporary agencies, volunteer work, anything that can help you to get some Canadain experience. I`ve heard from many people that B.C. is more competitive than let`s say Alberta.

I live in Fort McMurray which has its own, special job market, which is far different than any other places. There are different standards when it comes to employers and what they are looking for. I`ve never seen before that certain positions do not need a diploma here but would be essential elsewhere. I got my first job in Canada years ago based on the fact that my appearance was more professional, had better communication skills than others and had a stronger English knowledge, I mean grammar and punctuation than some other Canadians who applied for the same position. All that I want to say is be proactive and look for personal interactions, a brief introduction or a few sentences can get you a job.
Wish you best of luck!

Kaycee1

Jan 17, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor Approved 24-02-2011
AOR Received.
02-03-2011
Med's Request
In process 20-05-2011
Med's Done....
26-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-06-11
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-11
LANDED..........
14-08-11
richie4U said:
yeah my reusme is good and i have B.sc educational physcology , and other colleges degree like
with computer studies, national service,avation college, and hoping some day i will
get a better job yeah i have applied in so many places look like i send my resume into space
but i got a small job now part time.
If this is an example of your spelling and grammar, I'm afraid not too many people would even look at your resume!!!