+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The hypocrisy behind the dangerous rhetoric of "Passport of convenience"

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am really baffled that a lot of people buy into the "passport of convenience" rhetoric started by the government and some politicians. It is rather sad that as opposed to removing the wool from our eyes and seeing the hypocrisy behind it, a lot of us try to spend time proving that we are different from those who try to immigrate to Canada for that purpose...When in essence the idea of a passport of convenience is flawed.

I'll be the first to admit it if nobody does, I like convenience...as a matter of fact like is an understatement, I love it and need it. That was one of my major motivations leaving my country and making the decision to come here as an international student. I wanted to enjoy the convenience of going to class without the fear of government strikes or having to bribe a professor to pass a class. I wanted to enjoy the quality of good education associated with Canada. So I came and I saw and I conveniently acquired skills and graduated from a Canadian tertiary institution. I guess my degree should be called a "degree of convenience" but guess what, even though things became less difficult for me after obtaining a Canadian degree i.e the convenience of a good job, nice home e.t.c. It took a process that wasn't always convenient, it came at a cost that wasn't monetary alone. I made difficult sacrifices, I left the certain and adopted a culture that was new to me, I left loved ones behind and carried the pressure of great expectations as my luggage to a new country. A country I have now grown to love, a country that is now home...

In turn the government spreads the dangerous story of the passport of convenience, have they forgotten that they created the Canadian Experience Class to their convenience? They decided to keep international students, foreign workers because according to them we were the best of the crop. It was and is still convenient for them because they didn't/don't have to spend a dime on us but yet still reap the benefits of us having lived and being trained here. "It would be a shame to let them go and grow their own nations or as a matter of fact other nations...so let's keep them here(CEC)...after all they are 'cheap' quality"...we'll lure them with Permanent Residency because they have have Canadian Experience but when it comes to Citizenship, they don't really know "what it feels like to be Canadian". We are experienced enough to contribute to nation building, Phd students working hard at ground breaking research but even that is not good enough...we just want a passport of convenience.

Please somebody tell me of any Canadian citizenship route that doesn't come with huge sacrifices. Can someone please tell me of a route that is convenient because like I said earlier on, I love convenience...as a matter of fact like is an understatement, I love it and need it.

Some radicals would say "we" are the new slaves, some would describe it as post colonialism. Do they have a point?

My conclusion is that even if the initial intention for an immigrant is to obtain a Canadian passport of convenience, the integrity of the immigration system already in place deals with that concern. However the majority of us have put in our blood sweat and tears to be where we are now (we've earned it!) and we would NOT deny, neither would we deprive ourselves of the convenience that comes with a Canadian passport.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You have to understand the conservative psyche. For conservatives it is considered par for the course that ten innocent people are put through the ringer so that one person doesn't get something they "don't deserve."

Woodex

Sep 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MrB said:
I am really baffled that a lot of people buy into the "passport of convenience" rhetoric started by the government and some politicians. It is rather sad that as opposed to removing the wool from our eyes and seeing the hypocrisy behind it, a lot of us try to spend time proving that we are different from those who try to immigrate to Canada for that purpose...When in essence the idea of a passport of convenience is flawed.

I'll be the first to admit it if nobody does, I like convenience...as a matter of fact like is an understatement, I love it and need it. That was one of my major motivations leaving my country and making the decision to come here as an international student. I wanted to enjoy the convenience of going to class without the fear of government strikes or having to bribe a professor to pass a class. I wanted to enjoy the quality of good education associated with Canada. So I came and I saw and I conveniently acquired skills and graduated from a Canadian tertiary institution. I guess my degree should be called a "degree of convenience" but guess what, even though things became less difficult for me after obtaining a Canadian degree i.e the convenience of a good job, nice home e.t.c. It took a process that wasn't always convenient, it came at a cost that wasn't monetary alone. I made difficult sacrifices, I left the certain and adopted a culture that was new to me, I left loved ones behind and carried the pressure of great expectations as my luggage to a new country. A country I have now grown to love, a country that is now home...

In turn the government spreads the dangerous story of the passport of convenience, have they forgotten that they created the Canadian Experience Class to their convenience? They decided to keep international students, foreign workers because according to them we were the best of the crop. It was and is still convenient for them because they didn't/don't have to spend a dime on us but yet still reap the benefits of us having lived and being trained here. "It would be a shame to let them go and grow their own nations or as a matter of fact other nations...so let's keep them here(CEC)...after all they are 'cheap' quality"...we'll lure them with Permanent Residency because they have have Canadian Experience but when it comes to Citizenship, they don't really know "what it feels like to be Canadian". We are experienced enough to contribute to nation building, Phd students working hard at ground breaking research but even that is not good enough...we just want a passport of convenience.

Please somebody tell me of any Canadian citizenship route that doesn't come with huge sacrifices. Can someone please tell me of a route that is convenient because like I said earlier on, I love convenience...as a matter of fact like is an understatement, I love it and need it.

Some radicals would say "we" are the new slaves, some would describe it as post colonialism. Do they have a point?

My conclusion is that even if the initial intention for an immigrant is to obtain a Canadian passport of convenience, the integrity of the immigration system already in place deals with that concern. However the majority of us have put in our blood sweat and tears to be where we are now (we've earned it!) and we would NOT deny, neither would we deprive ourselves of the convenience that comes with a Canadian passport.
I totally agreed with your point. I believe the French and British came here because of the convenience they saw among the Aboriginal.

Look at the way they blocked grandparents sponsorhip. I don't think the bill will pass in the house of common.

bunuelbresson

Feb 12, 2014
Very good point.

In fact if the government cares about the motivation behind coming to Canada they should address it in a law. They should say that any foreigner who is here for the passport shouldn't be allowed in. Then it is up to the foreigner to decide whether he should immigrate to Canada or not.

What has happened is that some people come here on the basis of X, and when the law changes to Y they shouldn't have a say otherwise they are labeled opportunist or whatever.

The government agreed with me through the immigration law that if I come to Canada and stay 1095 days as a resident I am entitled to have a Canadian Passport. That was the deal and I signed on it. Regardless of what my motivations are I deserve to have citizenship.

Reality is I love this country. I rooted for Canada in the Olympics as if this was my native country. I will defend Canada against aggressors as I would defend my native country. But even if I didn't feel that way I am still entitled to a citizenship. Any laws which shall be voted shouldn't affect me because it wasn't part of the deal when I decided to immigrate.

If the Canadian government had told me you can immigrate to Canada and you will get citizenship if you live 4 years out of 6 as a permanent resident. But when you get the citizenship you have to intend to stay and you shouldn't seek opportunities elsewhere, I wouldn't have immigrated in the first place.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Funny! I have always stated that convenience is a factor for decision making. The Canadian citizenship is very convenient to me and my family. I cannot deny that! Neither can anyone else. No matter how deeply they are involved in the Canadian culture.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with MrB. This is how the Canadian nation has born in the earth with the convenience for centuries. Thousands of the European migrated in this land because of convenience. This conservative govt is trying to block mostly minorities becoming the citizen of this great country for their own convenience.

Researcher said within next 25-30 years non-white will be majority in the Canada. So they are taking the kind of polices which will slower the process. If this is the case of "passport for convenience" then they should stop marketing the "immigration product" to the world. Why they bringing Investor with $800,0000 investment to CIC projects (w/o any interest for 5 years)? Who is benefiting from this billions of dollar investments? And when these investor immigrants applies for Citizenship, they suddenly find we are in wrong place. Same as for many economical high skilled immigrants who leaving their everything behind and put their talent in research and other field..

They say people abuse and apply on the "way to the airport".. Yes we agree there might be some individual who feels that way but why they imposing all these tougher rules on the vast majority law obeying immigrants and making their life harder to spend time on immigration issues rather spend time on productive sector? why they need to overhaul the entire law? why they don't put some resource from the large fess collection from immigrants every year on tracking those individuals only? So the bottom line is, all this about politics and fear game and unfortunately we all caught in middle of this game..