+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The fastest way to bring a spouse to Canada while working under work permit

mmaxi

Dec 9, 2016
Hello! I'm from Ukraine and work in Canada as Software Engineer

I've got my first work permit, issued under LMIA, on January 2016 and the same month I entered the country. At the moment I was single, but then I've married in Ukraine in August. Now my work permit is about to be expired, but my epmployer applied to another LMIA. We are expecting to get it in 1-2 month and then apply for another work permit for an year. But my wife is still in Ukraine. So here is my questions:

1. As far as I understand the best option for spouse is to apply for Open Work Permit, but I think it's not an option until I will have my renewed work permit (which probably will be in 3-4 month). Am I right?
2. Should we even try anything until I get my new work permit or it's better just to wait and then apply for OWP?
2. What is the best and the fastest option to bring her to Canada (At the moment my current work permit almost expired AND I will have new one soon)? Does it make sense to try visitor visa? Or maybe this is some kind of 'dependent visa'?

She applied to visitor visa before we got married and she got rejected (not suffisient proves that she would leave a country)

Thank you in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - you'll need to wait.
2. You can technically apply for a TRV now. But you should wait and apply for the OWP.
3. There's no separate "dependent visa". There's just the TRV or OWP. Again, definitely I'd wait and apply for the OWP given she has a previous refusal.

mmaxi

Dec 9, 2016
scylla said:
1. Yes - you'll need to wait.
2. You can technically apply for a TRV now. But you should wait and apply for the OWP.
3. There's no separate "dependent visa". There's just the TRV or OWP. Again, definitely I'd wait and apply for the OWP given she has a previous refusal.
Thank you, that's what think now. Although, I was convinced before that if spouse has a work permit it's kind of 'sure thing' to get visa for his/her spouse

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mmaxi said:
Thank you, that's what think now. Although, I was convinced before that if spouse has a work permit it's kind of 'sure thing' to get visa for his/her spouse
Unfortunately it's far from a sure thing - either for the TRV or OWP. Plenty of refusals for both on this forum. When she applies, she'll want to provide plenty of proof of strong ties to her home country - otherwise she's at risk of being refused again for the same reason her original TRV was refused.