+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The "2 years in 5 obligation".

graeme75

Aug 16, 2013
My PR is "active", since 25 May '15. I returned to the UK for work/personal obligations a few weeks later. Now looking to return to Canada 'permanently' on 1st Feb 2019.

The card took 9 months to arrive and so my PRC has an expiry date 16th Feb 2021. It was fwd to me by family as I had returned to the UK by then. Hence me thinking I had 2 years left on it.

I have been outside Canada in excess of 1095 days since initial arrival at PoE, but the validity on the card would allow me to still meet the 720 days as a PR before card expiry.

If I arrive into Canadian airport as a PR on 1st Feb 2019, I understand the officer may advise that my obligations have not been met at and I could be returned? I take it that is in their hands, even though the PRC still has plenty validity on it. Is that a fair understanding?

Thanks

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
PR card expiry date has nothing to do with your PR Obligation.
You need to count your landing day and from that day and any rolling 5 years, you need to stay in Canada for minimal 2 years.

graeme75

Aug 16, 2013
PR card expiry date has nothing to do with your PR Obligation.
You need to count your landing day and from that day and any rolling 5 years, you need to stay in Canada for minimal 2 years.
Ok thank you. So if I arrive as a PR now I may be refused entry as I cannot meet the obligations anymore?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My PR is "active", since 25 May '15. I returned to the UK for work/personal obligations a few weeks later. Now looking to return to Canada 'permanently' on 1st Feb 2019.

The card took 9 months to arrive and so my PRC has an expiry date 16th Feb 2021. It was fwd to me by family as I had returned to the UK by then. Hence me thinking I had 2 years left on it.

I have been outside Canada in excess of 1095 days since initial arrival at PoE, but the validity on the card would allow me to still meet the 720 days as a PR before card expiry.

If I arrive into Canadian airport as a PR on 1st Feb 2019, I understand the officer may advise that my obligations have not been met at and I could be returned? I take it that is in their hands, even though the PRC still has plenty validity on it. Is that a fair understanding?

Thanks
As otherwise noted, the date of expiry on a PR card has NO bearing on calculating compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. Which it appears you already knew and understood.

Thus, you are currently in breach of the PR RO, given your absence from Canada for more than 1095 days since you landed. Which it appears you also already understood.

Any PR arriving at a PoE applying for entry into Canada (application made by mere act of arriving at the PoE) who is in breach of the PR RO IS AT RISK to be examined regarding RO compliance and being in breach is AT RISK for being Reported (a 44(1) Report of Inadmissibility for Non-compliance with the RO) and issued a Departure Order. HOWEVER, even if you are examined and reported, and issued a Departure Order, you are still entitled to enter Canada. You will not be turned back or returned. If this happens, if you are reported and issued a Departure or Removal Order, you will have time to make an appeal and you can stay in Canada in the meantime. How you approach things in this event is a very, very PERSONAL decision.

That said, the extent of the RISK varies a great deal, depending on many factors. It is so difficult as to be near impossible for anyone here to reliably assess the RISKs quantitatively. Especially so since there are indeed so many individual factors which can have a big yet variable impact on how things actually go. For example, however, by being abroad more than three years since you were last in Canada (if this is the case), that makes it more obvious you are in breach and thus increases the risk of being examined and reported. In contrast, by presenting a valid PR card that is your first PR card and it being valid for another two years, that probably lowers the risk of being examined regarding the RO upon arrival. There are, nonetheless, many other factors which can influence how things actually go for YOU individually.

All that said, probably a good idea to be prepared to explain all the circumstances which have led you to staying abroad as long as you have. Just the facts. The truth. Whether your explanation will suffice to persuade a PoE officer to be lenient, whether pursuant to an informal or formal consideration of H&C reasons for allowing you to keep your status, is again way too difficult to forecast to know ahead of time. But certainly worth making the effort to honestly explain your circumstances, including your ties to Canada (such as family now settled and living in Canada).

graeme75

Aug 16, 2013
Thanks guys, that is a great explanation. Totally my misunderstanding of the validity/obligation, thinking I had two years left to meet the obligation.

I would be prepared to go with the PRC as is and discuss it if reported. I am travelling on my own, though have family there (citizens), so little to lose at this point.

Appreciate the responses.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
If you enter Canada in February 2019 I am absolutely sure that you won’t have any problems at the border.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Thanks guys, that is a great explanation. Totally my misunderstanding of the validity/obligation, thinking I had two years left to meet the obligation.

I would be prepared to go with the PRC as is and discuss it if reported. I am travelling on my own, though have family there (citizens), so little to lose at this point.

Appreciate the responses.
Graeme

I had the same issue where I was around 6 months short of completing my PR status, I still had around 18 months left and yes I too went back home as I wasn't ready to come over at first and also because I had family commitments etc.
Myself and my wife chanced it and yes the border officer looked at our PR cards and did checks etc but said nothing and let us through, we waited around 2.5 years before renewing.

It really is down to luck, but if you are coming over and get through without being reported, be prepared to wait nearly three years before going back home or for that matter anywhere outside of Canada.
I've missed home massively...1) Because of home sickness in general but 2) because not being allowed to leave due to having to stay put for 2+ years.

I'll be going back soon to Midlands for a visit....can't wait, but I know it's probably not what it was when I left, in fact a lot worse with Brexit, crime etc....so I don't blame you for trying to come back here. It's not all champagne and caviar here but I wish you the best of luck pal!

Cheers
Dal