Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Immigration Canada Reports Rise in Suicide Calls from Visa Applicants

Immigration Canada is reporting an increased number of visa applicants who are expressing thoughts or intentions of suicide because of processing delays caused by the various measures put in place around the pandemic.

“We have attributed this increase to the duress that many clients are under given the various measures put in place around COVID,” said Carly Dybka, Assistant Director, Social Media & Care at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in an email to her bosses obtained under the Access to Information Act.

“These client comments have been received by both the Client Support Centre (calls, emails) as well as through social media,” she wrote in the email, according to Lexbase, an authoritative immigration newsletter authored by Vancouver lawyer Richard Kurland.

“We understand that there may be a unit in CMB [Case Management Branch] that has experience in dealing with similar issues, and are looking for advice on both how to respond, and how to support employees dealing with these enquiries. We are already in touch with the CSC with the hope of adopting an approach consistent to theirs, but wanted to see if any other resources are available,” read the email.

As an IRCC spokesperson told New Canadian Media (NCM), its agents are trained to listen carefully to callers, empathise with their situation and collect as much pertinent detail about the caller as possible so that they can refer these details to their supervisor

“We understand that the situation can be stressful for applicants waiting to come to Canada. When IRCC receives calls from people in distress talking about suicide, we give them our full attention to help them in availing themselves of help close to them and local health supports,” she said.

The Client Support Centre (CSC) agents have a list of crisis centres that are available by region, and they are ready to provide them to the person in need, she added. “CSC supervisors then complete the necessary steps to advise our corporate security officer should further steps be needed to attend to the person’s safety.”

Amrit Singh in New Delhi is among those who have expressed his mental anguish to IRCC after waiting for more than a year to come to Canada to be with his Vancouver-based wife. The couple got married in India.

Among those most impacted by the visa processing delays are foreign workers and international students.

“Unless addressed, increasing processing times are likely to have a negative impact on our business operations within the next year,” said the Canadian Employee Relocation Council (CERC), after surveying a broad cross-section of the industry that relies on access to international skills and talent.

“The current visa processing times are absolutely ridiculous,” the CERC noted in a recent report entitled ‘The Impact of Processing Delays of Work Permits and Immigration Visas on Canadian Employers.’

The think tank is calling for greater transparency in the triaging of files and criteria used for faster processing to reduce unpredictability in the system and frustration among applicants and employers.

International students waiting for visas to come to Canada have also launched petitions via social media to raise awareness of the waiting times they face.

“Students who are waiting for a visa need certainty about their future. If the visa is refused after months of waiting, they might lose an entire academic year worth of precious time which can never be recovered,” said a petition by Prithvi Raj in Hyderabad, India. The petition has garnered over 25,000 signatures.

“If they are given a visa decision either positive or negative in a timely fashion, they can plan their future and make alternative arrangements for their higher education,” wrote Raj.

Ashish Goyal, one of the applicants who signed the petition, wrote: “Paid my fee in Dec 2019, applied for my visa in early March 2020, submitted a complete file. my father took a loan even when he was drowning financially! For god’s sake don’t make him regret it.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2021/02/18/immigration-canada-reports-rise-in-suicide-calls-from-visa-applicants.html

Last edited:

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello @legalfalcon

Need your advise please. I've submitted my e-APR and received AOR a couple of days ago. I should have submitted 2 reference letters as I hold 2 different positions in the same company, however, as per the company's policy they provided me with one reference letter, which I should have attached 2 times to support both positions. I also stated it in my LoE. Next day after submitting the application I found out that I mistakenly attached Education Degrees file instead of Employment Records to support my second work experience. To summarize, I've attached the correct file to support my 1st work experience, but instead of attaching the same file to support my 2nd work experience, I attached Education Degrees. I've immediately raised CSE, apologizing about what happened and mentioning that the reference letter is already attached to support my 1st work experience, and it should be the same one to support 2nd work experience. I've also attached this reference letter to the CSE.
My questions are:
1) Is there anything else I can do to make sure they will proceed my application? Can I call them from outside Canada? If yes, can you share the number, if possible?
2) Can my application be returned because of this?
3) Do you know anyone, who was in the similar situation? How all of this ended?
I'll really appreciate any advise from you, as I'm worry about my application a lot.
Many thanks in advance.
It is not required to have two separate work reference letter is you have had more than one position with the same employer. You can add one work reference letter that lists all the positions. If you made separate entires for the positions, you will be asked submit supporting documents for both as the system reads it as two separate work experiences, instead of one work ex with multiple positions.

As long as you have have included LoE, you need not worry.

1. You have already done what is required. No need to be concerned.
2. No
3. Many people have done the same and have successfully received the PPR. When you upload the documents, they are not seen by the officer as you see them. They are given file names and added.

You are just getting worked up too much.

Reactions: Nadiia333

vinnn

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
Yes, your LoE will be considered. However, as regards PCCs, IRCC can ask for additional PCC, which is at the discretion of the officer.

Given that if you never spent more than 6 months in HK, then most likely you will not be asked for a HK PCC.
@legalfalcon is there any ground that the visa officer will deem my file incomplete for uploading LOE instead of PCC
or should I apply for PCC irrespective of fact that I never stayed there more than a week?

Just tensed that application should not be considered incomplete and rejected

Shubham6120

Jul 30, 2020
Gujarat
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01/01/2020
Doc's Request.
18/02/2021
AOR Received.
01/02/2021
IELTS Request
18/07/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2021
Med's Done....
18/02/2021
Passport Req..
02/05/2022
VISA ISSUED...
13/05/2022
Hi @legalfalcon, hope you are doing good.
Just wanted to inform you that me and my spouse uploaded the schedule A as per your suggestion and they are reviewing my ADR (as per cic account information). And i have successfully received Biometric request and medical shows passed.
What to expect next and when?
Feb 1st 2021 AOR.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon is there any ground that the visa officer will deem my file incomplete for uploading LOE instead of PCC
or should I apply for PCC irrespective of fact that I never stayed there more than a week?

Just tensed that application should not be considered incomplete and rejected

Currently as per COVID policy application are not refused for being incomplete as long a you have a have a LOE.

If IRCC need the PCC they will inform you.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi @legalfalcon, hope you are doing good.
Just wanted to inform you that me and my spouse uploaded the schedule A as per your suggestion and they are reviewing my ADR (as per cic account information). And i have successfully received Biometric request and medical shows passed.
What to expect next and when?
Feb 1st 2021 AOR.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Just get you biometrics in. If IRCC need anything, they will let you know.

To read on the stages of an EE application, see https://bit.ly/3k7hFEv

Reactions: Shubham6120

Shubham6120

Jul 30, 2020
Gujarat
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01/01/2020
Doc's Request.
18/02/2021
AOR Received.
01/02/2021
IELTS Request
18/07/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2021
Med's Done....
18/02/2021
Passport Req..
02/05/2022
VISA ISSUED...
13/05/2022
Just get you biometrics in. If IRCC need anything, they will let you know.

To read on the stages of an EE application, see https://bit.ly/3k7hFEv
Alas, i am FSW India. Dont know when will the VFS start its operations.
Thanks for the prompt response.

Reactions: legalfalcon

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
It is not required to have two separate work reference letter is you have had more than one position with the same employer. You can add one work reference letter that lists all the positions. If you made separate entires for the positions, you will be asked submit supporting documents for both as the system reads it as two separate work experiences, instead of one work ex with multiple positions.

As long as you have have included LoE, you need not worry.

1. You have already done what is required. No need to be concerned.
2. No
3. Many people have done the same and have successfully received the PPR. When you upload the documents, they are not seen by the officer as you see them. They are given file names and added.

You are just getting worked up too much.
Hello
legalfalcon

Thanks for your response. It really made me feel much comfortable now.
Thanks again.

Reactions: legalfalcon

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
Hello @legalfalcon
Sorry to bother you again, but I was just checking my LoE and found out that I stated my salary as an equivalent of XXX USD instead of CAD (I used USD exchange rate). The thing is that my reference letter doesn't include my salary, so I attached bank statement, where my salary was in a local currency and then explained everything in LoE.
Do you think I need to raise another CSE to point at this mistake and mention an equivalent in CAD or it is not an issue at all? I've already raised CSE and not sure if it is a good idea to raise more CSE :(
Thank you very much.

jar_brz

Oct 30, 2019
Hi @legalfalcon
I hope you are doing great!
I will be eternally thankful if you could help me with my situation.

I got an ITA in the last CEC draw (176). but my Express Entry profile was outdated and with some wrong information. I changed information before receiving the ITA, and now I am very concerned and confuse about what to do. Below, I will provide you with more details:

Date and time of round: February 13, 2021, at 11:56:56 UTC
After the draw, I reviewed my profile and changed some information. My profile was not locked and my CRS was 372. What I changed:
  1. One score in Celpip results (mistyped 7, instead of 6)
  2. Primary occupation (it was outdated)
  3. The NOC of my last experience. The one that qualified me to CEC (mistyped 1222, instead of 1221). Also added the end date of this experience because was not updated.
I submitted the changes on February 13 at the end of the day, and all changes were accepted.

On February 14, 8:46 pm, I received the ITA email (the date printed on the ITA document is February 13, and the CRS is 372)

At that moment, my profile got locked with the information that I changed, and I received a new message in my profile mentioning the ITA (Date sent: February 14)

On February 16, the status of my profile was updated with the information “Latest update: Minimum entry criteria - February 16, 2021:You meet the minimum entry criteria”. My eligibility for CEC is still “Met” and my CRS dropped to 314.

Could these changes cause any problem with my application? Should I mention all the changes in the LoE?

Additionally, when filling the eAPR, I moved my wife’s foreign work experience from work experience to personal history. I did this because I am not claiming points for it and it will be difficult to get an updated reference letter during the pandemic.
Also, I added in her personal history two Canadian work experiences that I didn’t mention before.
  1. The first one is related to the co-op portion of her graduate program in Canada. I didn’t mention it before because the Canadian co-op is not considered a valid work experience, but it seems to make sense as personal history. She was laid off due to covid during the co-op.
  2. After some months, when she was already graduated, she was hired by the same company mentioned above, but no more as a co-op. I didn’t update it because happened after the submission of my express entry profile. I am not claiming points for it.
Both experiences are now in personal history.

Should I withdrawal this invitation?
If no, should I mention all these changes in the LoE, including the ones before the ITA?
Is there any risk of misrepresentation? Is the risk high?

I am sorry for my long text, and thank you so much!

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello @legalfalcon
Sorry to bother you again, but I was just checking my LoE and found out that I stated my salary as an equivalent of XXX USD instead of CAD (I used USD exchange rate). The thing is that my reference letter doesn't include my salary, so I attached bank statement, where my salary was in a local currency and then explained everything in LoE.
Do you think I need to raise another CSE to point at this mistake and mention an equivalent in CAD or it is not an issue at all? I've already raised CSE and not sure if it is a good idea to raise more CSE :(
Thank you very much.
You salary can be in any currency, it does not matter. IRCC does not ask for any conversion to CAD.

There is no need for CSE.

Reactions: Nadiia333

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi @legalfalcon
I hope you are doing great!
I will be eternally thankful if you could help me with my situation.

I got an ITA in the last CEC draw (176). but my Express Entry profile was outdated and with some wrong information. I changed information before receiving the ITA, and now I am very concerned and confuse about what to do. Below, I will provide you with more details:

Date and time of round: February 13, 2021, at 11:56:56 UTC
After the draw, I reviewed my profile and changed some information. My profile was not locked and my CRS was 372. What I changed:
  1. One score in Celpip results (mistyped 7, instead of 6)
  2. Primary occupation (it was outdated)
  3. The NOC of my last experience. The one that qualified me to CEC (mistyped 1222, instead of 1221). Also added the end date of this experience because was not updated.
I submitted the changes on February 13 at the end of the day, and all changes were accepted.

On February 14, 8:46 pm, I received the ITA email (the date printed on the ITA document is February 13, and the CRS is 372)

At that moment, my profile got locked with the information that I changed, and I received a new message in my profile mentioning the ITA (Date sent: February 14)

On February 16, the status of my profile was updated with the information “Latest update: Minimum entry criteria - February 16, 2021:You meet the minimum entry criteria”. My eligibility for CEC is still “Met” and my CRS dropped to 314.

Could these changes cause any problem with my application? Should I mention all the changes in the LoE?

Additionally, when filling the eAPR, I moved my wife’s foreign work experience from work experience to personal history. I did this because I am not claiming points for it and it will be difficult to get an updated reference letter during the pandemic.
Also, I added in her personal history two Canadian work experiences that I didn’t mention before.
  1. The first one is related to the co-op portion of her graduate program in Canada. I didn’t mention it before because the Canadian co-op is not considered a valid work experience, but it seems to make sense as personal history. She was laid off due to covid during the co-op.
  2. After some months, when she was already graduated, she was hired by the same company mentioned above, but no more as a co-op. I didn’t update it because happened after the submission of my express entry profile. I am not claiming points for it.
Both experiences are now in personal history.

Should I withdrawal this invitation?
If no, should I mention all these changes in the LoE, including the ones before the ITA?
Is there any risk of misrepresentation? Is the risk high?

I am sorry for my long text, and thank you so much!
You have to meet a few criteria:

As per IRCC:

• Express Entry candidates are responsible for ensuring that the information in their profile is accurate and up-to-date at all times.

• When a candidate is issued an ITA, their profile information and their CRS score are automatically recorded in GCMS.

• If a candidate decides to submit an e-APR, the system automatically transfers the information from their profile to their e-APR for their convenience. The candidate is required to ensure that the information is still accurate before they submit their e-APR to IRCC. If the information transferred from the candidate’s profile is no longer accurate, the candidate must update their application accordingly.

• Processing offices must compare the information in the applicant’s profile at the time of the round of invitations to the information in their e-APR to ensure that the applicant meets the requirements of section A11.2. Note that not all discrepancies should result in a refusal.

You can go ahead with the ITA as the cut off was 75. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you are fine even if your score went down to 317.

Also, your spouse's (dependent) foreign experience does not fetch you any points. Whether you keep them in work history (you will be asked for work ref document) or personal history.

Also, you can change NOC post ITA, and it does not impact your ITA.

I do not see any concerns.

Reactions: jar_brz

happyguy2021

Feb 13, 2021

davian09

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
Hi @legalfalcon ,

I'm a FSW- Outland (EE currently in India) candidate.
ITA - Sep30th 2020
AOR - Dec 24 2020
MEP- Jan 26 2021.
Received BIL , but yet to give because of the VAC situation in India.

I've submitted work experience for close to 5 years.

Meanwhile after AOR i've switched jobs on Jan 4th 2021. I got the reliving letter from my previous company last week only..
Should I inform IRCC about this ?. If using a webform , What all documents should i submit ?
1. Relieving letter from previous organization ?
2. Current organization HR letter (without roles and responsibilities )?

Any guidance here would be helpful.
thanks

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi @legalfalcon ,

I'm a FSW- Outland (EE currently in India) candidate.
ITA - Sep30th 2020
AOR - Dec 24 2020
MEP- Jan 26 2021.
Received BIL , but yet to give because of the VAC situation in India.

I've submitted work experience for close to 5 years.

Meanwhile after AOR i've switched jobs on Jan 4th 2021. I got the reliving letter from my previous company last week only..
Should I inform IRCC about this ?. If using a webform , What all documents should i submit ?
1. Relieving letter from previous organization ?
2. Current organization HR letter (without roles and responsibilities )?

Any guidance here would be helpful.
thanks

Post submission since the application is locked you do not have to inform IRCC of any changes. Only if you claimed point for the job where you were employed and claimed points for, if you no longer work there, you should inform IRCC so that they are aware that you no longer work there in case they verify your employment. Also, you do not need to submit any relieving letter or HR letter.

Any subsequent change of job need not be notified to IRCC.