+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tfw scam? Please help

ovi1

Oct 16, 2022
So I need some direction please. I'll explain the situation as briefly as I can and to my understanding:
Recently I rented a room in my home to a very nice newly arrived Vietnamese lady. She is very private, quiet and generally happy until this morning when I noticed she was extremely visibly distraught. I asked her what was wrong and in very difficult broken English she explained the following to me.;
Her brother is a permanent resident of Canada and as she wished to join him in this country with her two young daughters she went to an " agent" in Vietnam to aid her in the process of applying for a 2 year work visa. The fee ( to my amazement and disgust) was $50.000 Which she explained had to borrow, scrape and put together. The agent, found her a job here in small town BC and the employer filled the necessary papers to secure her the 2 year work permit ( not open). Here she landed with a focus to work hard, send money home to her family to support her 2 daughters ( until she can apply for PR and bring them over) She began work roughly 3 weeks ago and all seemed great, difficult for her but long term hope filled her with joy. Today she received her paycheck and the amount did not match the amount expected as per her employer LMIA agreement. Matter of fact was considerably less and promised overtime wages per hours worked was not accounted for. Upon her asking the employer questions she said he became very aggressive and dismissive informing her that the 40 hrs x week promised we're going to be cut down to 10 hrs. X week!!! If she didn't like it that was tough $*#! And she was free to quit ( which in my understanding will make her visa null and void). He also told her that if she was thinking of reporting this to service Canada, she would be blacklisted from ever working at " her" job from all lower mainland available positions . She then said, after I asked her about the insane fees she paid for the work permit, that her boss received 25.000 of the $50.000 paid to the agency to give her the work opportunity!! With tears in her eyes she told me that when her brother called her boss he simply said " I don't talk to anyone but her" and hung up! She showed me an email she received from a Local " agent" showing the cost to apply for a new visa to stay here with a new employer... The cost is $60.000!!! Payable in installments starting with $5000 retainer, $10.000 after o e month and so on until the final $30.000 payable one year from signing a contract! Are we fkn kidding here? This is happening in CANADA?? This poor woman is destroyed! Now I'm not an idiot and obviously I know this is all illegal but what is this woman supposed to do next? She has no $ , can barely speak English without her e-translator and doesn't know where or who to turn to. Yes, I understand it can and should be reported to service Canada but this whole thing just seems very organized with many people involved that just bleed poor and hopeful people just looking for a glimpse of a better life!
I have no means myself but I want and need to help this human with her situation, I'm sick to my stomach about it all. Please if you can offer some direction DO! Who can help? Where can she go? Thnks

Last edited:

ovi1

Oct 16, 2022
So I need some direction please. I'll explain the situation as briefly as I can and to my understanding:
Recently I rented a room in my home to a very nice newly arrived Vietnamese lady. She is very private, quiet and generally happy until this morning when I noticed she was extremely visibly distraught. I asked her what was wrong and in very difficult broken English she explained the following to me.;
Her brother is a permanent resident of Canada and as she wished to join him in this country with her two young daughters she went to an " agent" in Vietnam to aid her in the process of applying for a 2 year work visa. The fee ( to my amazement and disgust) was $50.000 Which she explained had to borrow, scrape and put together. The agent, found her a job here in small town BC and the employer filled the necessary papers to secure her the 2 year work permit ( not open). Here she landed with a focus to work hard, send money home to her family to support her 2 daughters ( until she can apply for PR and bring them over) She began work roughly 3 weeks ago and all seemed great, difficult for her but long term hope filled her with joy. Today she received her paycheck and the amount did not match the amount expected as per her employer LMIA agreement. Matter of fact was considerably less and promised overtime wages per hours worked was not accounted for. Upon her asking the employer questions she said he became very aggressive and dismissive informing her that the 40 hrs x week promised we're going to be cut down to 10 hrs. X week!!! If she didn't like it that was tough $*#! And she was free to quit ( which in my understanding will make her visa null and void). He also told her that if she was thinking of reporting this to service Canada, she would be blacklisted from ever working at " her" job from all lower mainland available positions . She then said, after I asked her about the insane fees she paid for the work permit, that her boss received 25.000 of the $50.000 paid to the agency to give her the work opportunity!! With tears in her eyes she told me that when her brother called her boss he simply said " I don't talk to anyone but her" and hung up! She showed me an email she received from a Local " agent" showing the cost to apply for a new visa to stay here with a new employer... The cost is $60.000!!! Payable in installments starting with $5000 retainer, $10.000 after o e month and so on until the final $30.000 payable one year from signing a contract! Are we fkn kidding here? This is happening in CANADA?? This poor woman is destroyed! Now I'm not an idiot and obviously I know this is all illegal but what is this woman supposed to do next? She has no $ , can barely speak English without her e-translator and doesn't know where or who to turn to. Yes, I understand it can and should be reported to service Canada but this whole thing just seems very organized with many people involved that just bleed poor and hopeful people just looking for a glimpse of a better life!
I have no means myself but I want and need to help this human with her situation, I'm sick to my stomach about it all. Please if you can offer some direction DO! Who can help? Where can she go? Thnks
Anyone please?

Reactions: Destination1

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I think better to go service Canada, and employer can’t cut off her working hour or wage written on LMIA.
One caveat
This was a LMIA fraudulently obtained . The worker was party to the fraud / misrepresentation
You can’t be party to a fraud situation, then play the “ babe in the woods” routine, as mentioned in the movie Goodfellas. Doesn’t work that way

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

jeychie18

Nov 30, 2016

I think this is a form of abuse from her employer. She can apply for an Open Work Permit.

Open work permit for vulnerable foreign workers who are victims of abuse

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/vulnerable-workers.html

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I think this is a form of abuse from her employer. She can apply for an Open Work Permit.

Open work permit for vulnerable foreign workers who are victims of abuse

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/vulnerable-workers.html
That’s fine . But the o/p will have to be upfront that they paid for a LMIA which in itself is fraudulent.
She wants to avoid “ agents “ that promise a permit in exchange for huge amounts of money, that’s only compounding the issue at hand
And the open work permit has an expiration date

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Report the employer.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/report-abuse.html

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hi,

I think that she could be considered a victim of human trafficking and reaching out to advocacy groups - women, Vietnamese community organizations, and legal aid as well as Provincial and Federal Members of Parliament could see you relieved of some of the "Don Quixote" responsibilities that good people find daunting.

A new approach regarding human trafficking was taken nearly twenty years ago in order to draw people out of the shadows and repaint them as victims rather than co-conspirators. There are internal policy directives for the RCMP and other governmental arms for dealing with victims and they have very solid responses in order to bring relief when they agree that a person is a victim.

I truly salute you that if you see something wrong you look to right it, and if you're willing to work to get her some advocacy you will have started the ball rolling no matter where things wind up.

I am a retired old guy now, but as a person with a lot of exposure to a very broad variety of immigration issues this recognition of victim-hood was a watershed moment in the immigration world so consciousness of the victims' plight is pretty well understood currently.

There are people out there who can take the ball from you and run with it, so if you have the energy and wherewithal you can Google organization(s) who may be eager to help.

Congratulations for looking out for strangers - it's a too rare character strength and a treat to see.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/permits/considerations-specific-victims-human-trafficking.html