+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TFW (PSW) VS HEALTH CARE FIELD

strega123

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Hi there, I have a question- maybe someone will help me to understand one thing.

I have OWP valid for next few years, I decided to take short term program (Personal Support Worker - 6 months; not study permit was required as this is only short term program). I double check my open work permit and there are some conditions : not authorized to work as caregiver,schools (as teacher and health care field. I am not sure if health care field refers to work as nurse or doctors -as those are regulated jobs and they need license from Canada or that condition refers to any job in health care like PSW... I know that to get job as psw you need to have current vacinations and police check - I have it. So the question is : Can I work as PSW?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
strega123 said:
Hi there, I have a question- maybe someone will help me to understand one thing.

I have OWP valid for next few years, I decided to take short term program (Personal Support Worker - 6 months; not study permit was required as this is only short term program). I double check my open work permit and there are some conditions : not authorized to work as caregiver,schools (as teacher and health care field. I am not sure if health care field refers to work as nurse or doctors -as those are regulated jobs and they need license from Canada or that condition refers to any job in health care like PSW... I know that to get job as psw you need to have current vacinations and police check - I have it. So the question is : Can I work as PSW?
No - you can't with your current work permit. You will have to take a medical and have the conditions changed on your work permit to allow you to work as a PSW. Once you take the medical - you will need to wait a few weeks for the medical to be processed. You can then go down to a US/Canada land boarder to have your work permit updated.

strega123

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Thank you for so quick replay. Can I ask you how did U get that info? I was trying to find out in internet but I didn't found nothing. Should I just go to do authorized doctor or I should I send some aplication for referal.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
strega123 said:
Thank you for so quick replay. Can I ask you how did U get that info? I was trying to find out in internet but I didn't found nothing. Should I just go to do authorized doctor or I should I send some aplication for referal.
There are several people on this forum who have been through the process of having this condition removed from their work permit. I'm sure it's mentioned on the CIC web site somewhere as well.

strega123

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
scylla said:
There are several people on this forum who have been through the process of having this condition removed from their work permit. I'm sure it's mentioned on the CIC web site somewhere as well.
hmmm I tried to find those people but I don't see who is having same situation...... can U send me some posts?