+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

temporary work permit application from the US for a postdoc in Canada

umair6594

May 28, 2018
Hi,
I am a PhD candidate in the US officially graduating in August 2018, however my work and research are essentially finished. I have a postdoc offer from UBC that I had accepted and it is supposed to begin on June 1st, 2018. I am a foreign national here in the US on an F1 visa.

I had applied for a Canadian temporary work permit back on 27 April 2018. The application was online and required filling out the form IMM1295 along with other supporting documents. My employer filed for a LIMA exemption and I had included these details with my application.

Additionally, I had also asked for a two week expedited processing by uploading a request application before submitting my final application.

It's been more than a month now, and I have not seen any update or decision on my status page. The page states that the application is still in process. Immediately, after submission of the application in April I was asked to provide biometrics, which I did the next day.

The online processing time calculator states that the average processing time for work permit applications from the US is about 3 weeks. For my case, nearly 5 weeks have passed since my submission.

It would be nice if someone over here can provide some advice on how to proceed or what, if anything, could be done or if I could contact them directly. Someone with prior experience, please kindly shed some light on the matter.
Any help or guidance is appreciated.

I have already written a query to questions@cic.org and also to the IRCC online query system, but have not heard anything back.

Sincerely,
U

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I am a PhD candidate in the US officially graduating in August 2018, however my work and research are essentially finished. I have a postdoc offer from UBC that I had accepted and it is supposed to begin on June 1st, 2018. I am a foreign national here in the US on an F1 visa.

I had applied for a Canadian temporary work permit back on 27 April 2018. The application was online and required filling out the form IMM1295 along with other supporting documents. My employer filed for a LIMA exemption and I had included these details with my application.

Additionally, I had also asked for a two week expedited processing by uploading a request application before submitting my final application.

It's been more than a month now, and I have not seen any update or decision on my status page. The page states that the application is still in process. Immediately, after submission of the application in April I was asked to provide biometrics, which I did the next day.

The online processing time calculator states that the average processing time for work permit applications from the US is about 3 weeks. For my case, nearly 5 weeks have passed since my submission.

It would be nice if someone over here can provide some advice on how to proceed or what, if anything, could be done or if I could contact them directly. Someone with prior experience, please kindly shed some light on the matter.
Any help or guidance is appreciated.

I have already written a query to questions@cic.org and also to the IRCC online query system, but have not heard anything back.

Sincerely,
U
Hi

Your app will not be expedited. The posted processing time is based on 80% of apps. Yours is likely taking longer because you are not from the US.

tripathiam87

May 29, 2018
Could someone else also kindly comment on the situation...
Hello,

I think you should wait for it. Nobody can tell you the exact time. I am in the same boat. I have applied for the postdoc work permit in Quebec. I have submitted my application on 4th May. I am living in the Czech Republic and I did not need the medical exam, however, they have asked (on 14th May) me for the medical exam and I did it. My doctor submitted the report on 24th May and I have seen my status is changed on 28th May. I passed the medical exam. I do not know what the next. I would say we should wait patiently for the decision or some reply. Hope for the best.