+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Work Permit and family

jpdavies

Jul 15, 2017
England, UK
Good morning all.
I am looking into emigrating from the UK to Ontario in the next couple of years with my family (wife and 2 children, currently 6&3). From what information i can find, I would be classed as unskilled worker even as a fully trained and experienced Fork Lift Truck driver because I have no professional trade or university diploma, so I would only be able to get a Temporary Work Permit.
If I manage to find an employer who is willing to sponsor me, would my wife and children need to apply for their own Temporary Resident Visas or would it just be my wife that would need to apply for the TRV or Temp Work Permit?
Thanks in advance for any repsonses :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you're going to go the temporary work permit route and want your family to be able to come with you - you need to secure a job that's NOC A, B or 0 skill level. If the job you secure is skill level C or D - this doesn't entitle your family to move with you and they would have to keep living in the UK (although they could certainly visit you from time to time). So as a first step, I would figure out the skill level of a forklift driver since I'm guessing you don't want to be separated from your family.

Reactions: jpdavies

jpdavies

Jul 15, 2017
England, UK
Thank you for you quick response scylla. I will have a look now to see what level it is classed as.
Would my wife be able to get a temp work permit as well? If we both managed to get temp work permits, would our children be allowed into Canada to live with us?

Edit: I have found that my position in my current job is on the list
9213 Supervisors, food, beverage and associated products processing B

So because that is on the list, does that mean I can apply for a regular work permit but would need $22,856 to take my family?

If you're going to go the temporary work permit route and want your family to be able to come with you - you need to secure a job that's NOC A, B or 0 skill level. If the job you secure is skill level C or D - this doesn't entitle your family to move with you and they would have to keep living in the UK (although they could certainly visit you from time to time). So as a first step, I would figure out the skill level of a forklift driver since I'm guessing you don't want to be separated from your family.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - if you have a work permit issued for a job with a B skill level - then your wife can either apply for an open work permit based on your work permit or a TRV - and your children can apply for TRVs as well. No - you don't need $22K. You're confusing the temporary work permit process with the immigration office.

Do you have a job offer already from an employer in Canada and does that employer have an approved LMIA? If not, that's going to be the hardest part. The vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the LMIA process since it's so long and expensive without any guarantee of approval (and approved LMIA is required so that you can apply for a work permit - the job offer alone isn't enough).

Elene_Ruby

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Yes - if you have a work permit issued for a job with a B skill level - then your wife can either apply for an open work permit based on your work permit or a TRV - and your children can apply for TRVs as well. No - you don't need $22K. You're confusing the temporary work permit process with the immigration office.

Do you have a job offer already from an employer in Canada and does that employer have an approved LMIA? If not, that's going to be the hardest part. The vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the LMIA process since it's so long and expensive without any guarantee of approval (and approved LMIA is required so that you can apply for a work permit - the job offer alone isn't enough).
When applying as a family (skilled approved job offer), can accompanying spouse apply at the same time for Temp. Resident Visa and for Open WP?
Or applying for Open WP automatically means temporary residence application? I got confused with which forms are needed.. Please, help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When applying as a family (skilled approved job offer), can accompanying spouse apply at the same time for Temp. Resident Visa and for Open WP?
Or applying for Open WP automatically means temporary residence application? I got confused with which forms are needed.. Please, help
Yes, the spouse can apply for a TRV or SOWP. It's one or the other. If you want your spouse to be able to move here with you, you should apply for a SOWP.

Elene_Ruby

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Thank you Scylla! And in the case of SOWP do they need any med insurance? In the checklist there is no, but logically I feel it should be..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Scylla! And in the case of SOWP do they need any med insurance? In the checklist there is no, but logically I feel it should be..
No they should be covered although there could be an up to 3 month wait time for coverage so you’ll need to purchase emergency insurance for that period.

Elene_Ruby

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
No they should be covered although there could be an up to 3 month wait time for coverage so you’ll need to purchase emergency insurance for that period.
Thank you!It helped a lot this info!
Yes, the spouse can apply for a TRV or SOWP. It's one or the other. If you want your spouse to be able to move here with you, you should apply for a SOWP.
Can you advise on the Family Information form, please. As it have to be filled for every +18 member of the family, how can it be filled for the spouse who is accompanying and applying for SOWP: to write the name of the spouse at the top where it says "applicant' or after where it says "spouse'?

Elene_Ruby

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Can you advise on the Family Information form, please. As it have to be filled for every +18 member of the family, how can it be filled for the spouse who is accompanying and applying for SOWP: to write the name of the spouse at the top where it says "applicant' or after where it says "spouse'?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry can’t help not familiar with the form.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The spouse puts themselves as the applicant when they will out the form.

Reactions: Elene_Ruby