+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

temporary stay on first landing

sairasaira

Jun 30, 2012
i have confirmed seats for july 2012. Due to some issues i may return back to my home country ie will stay in Canada to get PR card come back for 8-9 months and then move permanently to Canada. (i plan to stay for 2 months and visiting this time to validate my visa which will expire otherwise) please please suggest:
can i leave Canada as soon as i get PR card or i need to stay to get some other documents? if so which ones?
as POF i will be carrying around 15k. obviously i wont be spending all and would like to bring them back with me. will that be an issue ie bring back the money?'
for 2nd landing as permanaent landing under PR status, how much limit of money will i have to consider to bring in canada? is the amount specified or i can bring as much as i have. Please note that i will prefer to bring the money back after my first visit.
thanks!!

Jitu1011

Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
Reached Sydney 18-05-2012/ PER 4 June 2012
AOR Received.
20-JUNE-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 (Sent with application)
File Transfer...
20-June-2012
Med's Request
14-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
25-AUG-2012/ Medical Line updated on Ecas 7Oct2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-AUG-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31st- Oct - 2012
LANDED..........
15th Nov 2012
sairasaira said:
i have confirmed seats for july 2012. Due to some issues i may return back to my home country ie will stay in Canada to get PR card come back for 8-9 months and then move permanently to Canada. (i plan to stay for 2 months and visiting this time to validate my visa which will expire otherwise) please please suggest:
can i leave Canada as soon as i get PR card or i need to stay to get some other documents? if so which ones?
as POF i will be carrying around 15k. obviously i wont be spending all and would like to bring them back with me. will that be an issue ie bring back the money?'
for 2nd landing as permanaent landing under PR status, how much limit of money will i have to consider to bring in canada? is the amount specified or i can bring as much as i have. Please note that i will prefer to bring the money back after my first visit.
thanks!!
Once you land for first time your landing process will be complete and after that you are not bound to stay for any specific period, you will need to apply for PR card, SIN card, Health Card. Get these things completed in 3-6 weeks and then leave and return as per you convenience. Your Proof of funds are not required at first time landing or returning back but if you wish to bring money you can bring upto $10k by way of Cash, Traveller Cheques, Draft etc and rest above threshold amount by foreign currency wire transfer.

So I will suggest, land in Canada get your local formalities for Health Card, SIN Card, PR card and bank accounts completed. Once your bank account is opened you can get your funds transfer through wire transfer.

Enjoy!

van100

Star Member
Jun 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw Ex-Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2010
IELTS Request
March 2012
File Transfer...
Dec 2011
Med's Request
May 2012
Med's Done....
June 2012
sairasaira said:
thanks!!
You can leave Canada up to 6 months at maximum.

van100

Star Member
Jun 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw Ex-Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2010
IELTS Request
March 2012
File Transfer...
Dec 2011
Med's Request
May 2012
Med's Done....
June 2012
Pippin said:
Could you please supply a reference for this fact? Thanks.
183 days around 6 months
Here you can find it

"www.immigration.ca/permres-gii-visa_validity.asp"

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I am prepared to be proved wrong, but I went to the official CIC website for this information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp which states you have to be in Canada for 2 out of five rolling years.
OP 10 Manual lays it ALL out here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf
Another document worth reading goes on further to explain Residency Obligation Appeals:
http://www.lslap.bc.ca/userfiles/file/18_immigration_11.pdf
Residency Requirement
A permanent resident must meet the residency requirements as outlined in the IRPA. Generally, a
permanent resident must be physically present in Canada for 730 days out of every five years. The
residency requirements can be met in a few different ways. See s. 29 of the IRPA for full details.

A 2004 Document goes into great detail (pp 7-9) http://www.oba.org/en/pdf_newsletter/immfeb04.pdf : Summary
The new residency obligations replace the previous
“183 day rule” that effectively required permanent
residents to spend most of their time in Canada. The
simplest way to comply with the new residency
obligations is to actually be physically present in
Canada for an accumulative period of 730 days
within any five-year period. There are several
alternatives to being physically present in Canada,
and in such circumstances time spent outside
Canada can be counted towards the 730 days
required.

The only current information I could find with reference to 183 days is this link stating that you are a deemed resident for TAX PURPOSES if you stay in the country for more than 183 days in that tax year:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nnrs-eng.html

Whew....I think that's my homework done for today! Happy Canada Day everyone.

van100

Star Member
Jun 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw Ex-Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2010
IELTS Request
March 2012
File Transfer...
Dec 2011
Med's Request
May 2012
Med's Done....
June 2012
Pippin said:
I am prepared to be proved wrong, but I went to the official CIC website for this information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp which states you have to be in Canada for 2 out of five rolling years.
OP 10 Manual lays it ALL out here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf
Another document worth reading goes on further to explain Residency Obligation Appeals:
http://www.lslap.bc.ca/userfiles/file/18_immigration_11.pdf
Residency Requirement
A permanent resident must meet the residency requirements as outlined in the IRPA. Generally, a
permanent resident must be physically present in Canada for 730 days out of every five years. The
residency requirements can be met in a few different ways. See s. 29 of the IRPA for full details.

A 2004 Document goes into great detail (pp 7-9) http://www.oba.org/en/pdf_newsletter/immfeb04.pdf : Summary
The new residency obligations replace the previous
“183 day rule” that effectively required permanent
residents to spend most of their time in Canada. The
simplest way to comply with the new residency
obligations is to actually be physically present in
Canada for an accumulative period of 730 days
within any five-year period. There are several
alternatives to being physically present in Canada,
and in such circumstances time spent outside
Canada can be counted towards the 730 days
required.

The only current information I could find with reference to 183 days is this link states that you are a deemed resident for TAX PURPOSES if you stay in the country for more than 183 days in that tax year:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nnrs-eng.html

Whew....I think that's my homework done for today! Happy Canada Day everyone.
lol. Thank you very much for your great respond. :)

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
I agree with pipin. No such condition of six months

van100

Star Member
Jun 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw Ex-Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2010
IELTS Request
March 2012
File Transfer...
Dec 2011
Med's Request
May 2012
Med's Done....
June 2012
asyousuf said:
I agree with pipin. No such condition of six months
I also agree :D

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Check out rules for PNP and CEC. It depends on the job (skill level or occupation) and length of time you work in Canada. Hint: If you have a question that does not relate to the thread topic, you will get more responses by starting a new thread. Good Luck.

odin2404

Jan 27, 2011
Burlington
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2010
Doc's Request.
sent with application
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
23rd Feb 2011
Med's Request
03rd March 2011
Med's Done....
30th March 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03rd March 2011 PPR/RPRF sent: 13th April 2011 RPRF encashed: 29th April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
05th May 2011
LANDED..........
19th July 2011
sairasaira said:
thanks!!
Umm another thing you may have missed - Not all PR cards are recieved in 2 months, it took me 5 months to recieve a letter which said I have to submit new photographs, please bear that in mind.

Good Luck

sairasaira

Jun 30, 2012
thank you so very much guys for a very detailed info.
This 5 month part is worrisome.i heard that he you are all ready with your docs at landing, which includes your photo graphs too..it doesnot take much of the time..-and i hope this happens with me too!
Good luck...i need it! :D

sairasaira

Jun 30, 2012
well another question...as proof of funds can gold be requested as POF.my all savings are in gold thought it wd be wires if i dont sell it?