+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Application as a Post-Grad Work Permit Holder

amanminhas

Sep 12, 2016
Hi all,

any idea - how long its taking for TRV application?
on CIC website it says 11 days. what that mean? 11 days for application approval? and then we will send the passport for stamp i believe? and how long that takes?
thanks!

maneka

Oct 18, 2017
Hi All,

I am a current Post-grad work permit (PGWP) holder. I am a recent graduate and I applied for my PGWP in June 2014 within Canada. My application was approved, but I received only the PGWP alone without the TRV. I was told that I have to apply for the TRV separately after receiving the PGWP.

However, I left Canada before I apply for the TRV (huge mistake). Now, I am residing in Malaysia (my home country) and wish to apply for the TRV as a PGWP holder.

The problem is: I can't seem to find the "right" way to apply online. As I complete the application questionnaire on CIC website, it doesn't seem to lead me to the "right" application that best fits my situation:

- On the first page of the questionnaire, the first question asks "what would you like to do in Canada". If I answer "work", the questionnaire will eventually lead me to the PGWP application which is not right since I already have one.

- for the same question, if I answer "visit", it eventually leads me to the TRV application which is what I am applying for. However, when it comes to the submitting documents part, it asks for "travel itinerary", "invitation letter" etc (required to upload before I can submit) which is not relevant for my case.

The questionnaire doesn't seem to be designed in a way that it could lead me to the application that best suits my situation. Does anyone have any experience in this? Any suggestions? Or should I just apply in-person at the Visa office?

Thank you in advance.
Hi ryank7,

I am in a very similar situation than you were in. I got my PGWP and unfortunately, due to some family issues I had to leave Canada before applying to a TRV. Now I am trying to apply for a TRV made outside of Canada but there is too much confusion. Exactly what you were going through, my situation is very same. Can you guide me through this so I know what to do. How and what to apply for. Your kind help would be highly appreciated.

Regards

maneka

Oct 18, 2017
Hello people,

Require urgent help and would be greatly appreciated. I had to leave Canada due to some family issues before applying for a TRV. However I do have my PGWP. I want to apply for a TRV now, can anyone let me know what I should do. does having a PGWP mean i have a worker status in Canada? Because if so, CIC takes me to an application for a TRV made outside of Canada and that is what i am looking for. But i am not sure if having a PGWP means i have a worker status in Canada. can anyone help me out?

regards

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Hello people,

Require urgent help and would be greatly appreciated. I had to leave Canada due to some family issues before applying for a TRV. However I do have my PGWP. I want to apply for a TRV now, can anyone let me know what I should do. does having a PGWP mean i have a worker status in Canada? Because if so, CIC takes me to an application for a TRV made outside of Canada and that is what i am looking for. But i am not sure if having a PGWP means i have a worker status in Canada. can anyone help me out?

regards
Yes having a PGWP means you have status in Canada as a worker. You can apply from you home country

maneka

Oct 18, 2017
Yes having a PGWP means you have status in Canada as a worker. You can apply from you home country
The thing is, when I apply for a TRV from my home country, it takes me to the application for the post graduate work permit which i already have. I do not thing i should be applying for it again. Is there a way to skip this step and directly apply for a TRV?
regards

maneka

Oct 18, 2017
H
The site can't be designed for every specific, so you will have to ignore the irrelevant documentation.

Explain your situation in the letter of explanation attaching your PGWP.
Hello Jalex23,
If i ignore the irrelevant documents, and instead of the application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker(IMM5710), I attach the application for a temporary resident visa made outside of Canada (IMM5257), and attach my PGWP with it, won't I still have to pay the extra fees for the PGWP? Although I already have the PGWP.

Regards

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
The thing is, when I apply for a TRV from my home country, it takes me to the application for the post graduate work permit which i already have. I do not thing i should be applying for it again. Is there a way to skip this step and directly apply for a TRV?
regards
in your country of residence instead of selecting your home country, select "Canada". and then answer the rest of the questions. when you are filling the application form "IMM 5257" then you can specify which country you are living in now.

maneka

Oct 18, 2017
in your country of residence instead of selecting your home country, select "Canada". and then answer the rest of the questions. when you are filling the application form "IMM 5257" then you can specify which country you are living in now.
ok, perfect thank you so much for your help. One last question, in what would you like to do in Canada, should I select work or visit? thanks

ryank7

Dec 18, 2014
Hi Maneka, sorry for the late response. I do not check the forum often and just saw your request in my email inbox. I don't quite remember the details as it has been quite a while ago (I believe I applied on paper? I am not sure though).

This is the link where you can find more information for TRV:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp?#applications

I am not too sure about the suggestion of putting your country of residence as Canada. I don't think I did this. Perhaps you can try calling your current country's visa office to ask them about that.

mahanroyan

Nov 8, 2017
Hi guys,
I have a PGWP and I want to apply for TRV (temporary residence visa) to receive a multiple entry visa for duration of my work permit. the application package that got into after questionnaire process, includes IMM5708E (application to change conditions, extend my stay, or remain in canada as a visitor or temporary resident pemrit holder) along with proof of financial package.
Can you please advise me if this is the right application i need submit? Or did I provide wrong info on the questionnaire? for the first question that it asks what do you want to do in Canada? I said visit.

Thank you
Mahan

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Hi guys,
I have a PGWP and I want to apply for TRV (temporary residence visa) to receive a multiple entry visa for duration of my work permit. the application package that got into after questionnaire process, includes IMM5708E (application to change conditions, extend my stay, or remain in canada as a visitor or temporary resident pemrit holder) along with proof of financial package.
Can you please advise me if this is the right application i need submit? Or did I provide wrong info on the questionnaire? for the first question that it asks what do you want to do in Canada? I said visit.

Thank you
Mahan
That’s the wrong form. You should be filling IMM 5257.

mahanroyan

Nov 8, 2017
thank you for your response,
then how I am supposed to answer the questionnaire to get directed to the right application package? I am applying online, I have to pass through the eligibility process.

looking forward to hearing from you
Mahan

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
thank you for your response,
then how I am supposed to answer the questionnaire to get directed to the right application package? I am applying online, I have to pass through the eligibility process.

looking forward to hearing from you
Mahan
you should indicate in the questionnaire that you a returning worker

mahanroyan

Nov 8, 2017
there is no such a question for which I should select returning worker. for the first question asking what do you want to do in Canada? I should select Worker, right? then it asks some general questions. the next question relevant to work is if I have written job offer, which I don't. then it says you are not eligible to extend your stay in Canada!
do you know which question is the critical one that determines if I am applying for study/work permit or TRV?

Thank you in advance for your time
Mahan