+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Application as a Post-Grad Work Permit Holder

ryank7

Dec 18, 2014
Hi All,

I am a current Post-grad work permit (PGWP) holder. I am a recent graduate and I applied for my PGWP in June 2014 within Canada. My application was approved, but I received only the PGWP alone without the TRV. I was told that I have to apply for the TRV separately after receiving the PGWP.

However, I left Canada before I apply for the TRV (huge mistake). Now, I am residing in Malaysia (my home country) and wish to apply for the TRV as a PGWP holder.

The problem is: I can't seem to find the "right" way to apply online. As I complete the application questionnaire on CIC website, it doesn't seem to lead me to the "right" application that best fits my situation:

- On the first page of the questionnaire, the first question asks "what would you like to do in Canada". If I answer "work", the questionnaire will eventually lead me to the PGWP application which is not right since I already have one.

- for the same question, if I answer "visit", it eventually leads me to the TRV application which is what I am applying for. However, when it comes to the submitting documents part, it asks for "travel itinerary", "invitation letter" etc (required to upload before I can submit) which is not relevant for my case.

The questionnaire doesn't seem to be designed in a way that it could lead me to the application that best suits my situation. Does anyone have any experience in this? Any suggestions? Or should I just apply in-person at the Visa office?

Thank you in advance.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
ryank7 said:
The questionnaire doesn't seem to be designed in a way that it could lead me to the application that best suits my situation. Does anyone have any experience in this? Any suggestions? Or should I just apply in-person at the Visa office?
The site can't be designed for every specific, so you will have to ignore the irrelevant documentation.

Explain your situation in the letter of explanation attaching your PGWP.

ryank7

Dec 18, 2014
Jalex23 said:
The questionnaire is perfectly designed for this kind of situation. You must chose WORK, not visit. If correctly answered then it will give you three options, the last one will be TRV.
Hi Jalex, thanks for the quick reply.

I have however tried multiple times but it still ends up at the PGWP application after I selected "work" for the first question. Here's some screenshots for the review answer page.

[I can't seem to post links here since I am new. I have sent you the screenshots in pm]

Then, this will lead me to the application for PGWP. Note that on the 3rd screenshot, when it asks "what type of work permit do you want to apply for", I can only choose from a list of work permit where PGWP is the closest choice. There is no option for TRV.

Please advise. Thank you so much.

ryank7

Dec 18, 2014
Jalex23 said:
The site can't be designed for every specific, so you will have to ignore the irrelevant documentation.

Explain your situation in the letter of explanation attaching your PGWP.
Hi Jalex, just noticed your new post. Thanks for your advice. :)

yhayamura

Aug 12, 2015
Hi :)

I have the exact same situation as you ryank7! However I am still in Canada and going to apply for the IMM5708; to extend my stay or remain in Canada as a visitor or permanent resident holder.

however, they are asking for the "proof of means of financial support". What should I submit on this? like my work paychecks? would it be enough to prove that I'll be fine to stay with my current income? (I make approximately $1600 per month = 4 weeks)

Or should I post my parents account showing that I have a support from my parents even though I have stopped having the support from them since I got full time job...?

I need help on this situation!!!!
I also wonder if ryank7 has received the visa successfully (I strongly hope you did)

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
yhayamura said:
Hi :)

I have the exact same situation as you ryank7! However I am still in Canada and going to apply for the IMM5708; to extend my stay or remain in Canada as a visitor or permanent resident holder.

however, they are asking for the "proof of means of financial support". What should I submit on this? like my work paychecks? would it be enough to prove that I'll be fine to stay with my current income? (I make approximately $1600 per month = 4 weeks)

Or should I post my parents account showing that I have a support from my parents even though I have stopped having the support from them since I got full time job...?

I need help on this situation!!!!
I also wonder if ryank7 has received the visa successfully (I strongly hope you did)
If you have a PGWP and you are requesting a TRV, the tool should not be asking for proof of financial support. If it does then you are answering it incorrectly. Verify your answers.

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
Here is my situation >> I graduated from Canadian institution & I have a open work permit. Recently I've applied for PR application. I want apply for TRV(Multiple Visa).I want to go back home because my father has a serious medical condition. I have a question here for the TRV. I would appreciate if someone could help me for this question.

****What should be the answer here, Yes or No?

@@@Problematic field: Does one of the following apply to you?

I am subject of a removal order that is unenforceable or

I applied for a study or work permit before entering Canada which was approved, but not issued at a port of entry; or

I am a primary or secondary student with visitor status in Canada; or

I am a visiting or exchange student with visitor status in Canada; or

I am a student who has completed a program of study that is a prerequisite to my enrolment at a designated learning institution with visitor status in Canada; or

I applied for permanent residence to an office in-Canada and was determined to be eligible for permanent resident status (first stage approval). @@@

CanadianBacon8

Mar 24, 2017
Hey! I hope you can help me with this. I am about to finish my bachelor degree here in Edmonton this June 30th, 2017. I have been studying for four years now. My visa and study permit will Expire August 29 this year. I am eligible to apply for Post Graduate work permit. Does that mean I need to apply separately then for the TRV? Thank you!

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
CanadianBacon8 said:
Hey! I hope you can help me with this. I am about to finish my bachelor degree here in Edmonton this June 30th, 2017. I have been studying for four years now. My visa and study permit will Expire August 29 this year. I am eligible to apply for Post Graduate work permit. Does that mean I need to apply separately then for the TRV? Thank you!
Yes.

Apply for the PGWP, then when you recieve it, apply for the TRV.

iceberge said:
@ @ @Problematic field: Does one of the following apply to you?

I am subject of a removal order that is unenforceable or
I applied for a study or work permit before entering Canada which was approved, but not issued at a port of entry; or
I am a primary or secondary student with visitor status in Canada; or
I am a visiting or exchange student with visitor status in Canada; or
I am a student who has completed a program of study that is a prerequisite to my enrolment at a designated learning institution with visitor status in Canada; or
I applied for permanent residence to an office in-Canada and was determined to be eligible for permanent resident status (first stage approval). @ @ @
Only you know your specifics. Hard to tell which one apply to you.

CanadianBacon8

Mar 24, 2017
Jalex23 said:
Yes.

Apply for the PGWP, then when you recieve it, apply for the TRV.

Only you know your specifics. Hard to tell which one apply to you.

Thank you for your reply. Do I need to apply TRV if I am planing to apply Saskatchewan Provincial Nominee Program? I was told that I am eligible to apply for SINP after finishing my studies as I already have a one year work experience related to my field of Studies.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
CanadianBacon8 said:
Thank you for your reply. Do I need to apply TRV if I am planing to apply Saskatchewan Provincial Nominee Program? I was told that I am eligible to apply for SINP after finishing my studies as I already have a one year work experience related to my field of Studies.
Please ask this in the correct subforum:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/provincial-nomination-program-immigration-b6.0/

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CanadianBacon8 said:
You don't need to apply for a TRV but you should anyways. Many people who have to suddenly leave Canada for whatever reason find themselves stuck outside, with jobs/studies/etc. on hold, because they don't have a valid TRV to return.

CanadianBacon8

Mar 24, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
You don't need to apply for a TRV but you should anyways. Many people who have to suddenly leave Canada for whatever reason find themselves stuck outside, with jobs/studies/etc. on hold, because they don't have a valid TRV to return.
Thank you so much!

rawnasareeb

Jul 17, 2017
Hi Jalex, just noticed your new post. Thanks for your advice. :)
Hey ryank7! I might be in the same position as yours in a month or so. I got a job offer abroad and currently waiting on getting my PGWP. My TRV has expired, and if I receive my PGWP in time, I will apply for TRV before I start working in early Sept. However, I think PGWP will take a while and I will not have enough time to apply for TRV while I am in Canada. So I am planning on applying for TRV while I am abroad. How did you go about applying for TRV? And did you get it without any hassles? Thanks!