+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary resident permit - Application Time?

Vrberg

Apr 19, 2017
Temporary Resident Permit Canada - HOW LONG?
New Work Permit (With the TRP - How long?)

Hello,

My wife applied for an extention to her Temporary Resident Permit and a NEW Work Permit July 2016. We still (April 2017) have not been approved and have not heard anything back. Any help would be terrific.

February 2017 - the Goverment wrote us back saying that she owed $50 more to her application. (new fees must of gone up Jan 1 2017??).

Why is this taking months and months to process? Why is there no one we can talk to?

We phoned the Goverment 1-800 number and they can not tell us anything. They is no other email or persons we can talk to about our application.

Any help would be useful. We are still waiting to hear back..

Thank you.

Viktor

seanmm24

Sep 6, 2018
Hi, did your application get finalized? I am currently waiting in the same situation, I applied 10 months ago for a TRP and work permit extension.

katty333

Nov 20, 2018
Hi, did your application get finalized? I am currently waiting in the same situation, I applied 10 months ago for a TRP and work permit extension.
Did you apply from within or from out of Canada? We sent my partner's TRP application from outside Canada 3 months ago and have not received anything. Would we normally receive an email that they are processing it?

bushedo

Nov 20, 2018

seanmm24

Sep 6, 2018
Did you apply from within or from out of Canada? We sent my partner's TRP application from outside Canada 3 months ago and have not received anything. Would we normally receive an email that they are processing it?
Hi Katty. I applied from within Canada. The first correspondence I received was 4 months after applying. I was asked to submit passport photos. I also got my file number at this point.

The next correspondence I received was 11 months after applying when they had made their decision. I applied in November 2017 and my application was finalized in October 2018.

When I had my file number I could call the call center and ask for more info, however when i did all I was told was that there is no set processing times for TRPs and all I could do was wait until they contacted me.

katty333

Nov 20, 2018
Hi Katty. I applied from within Canada. The first correspondence I received was 4 months after applying. I was asked to submit passport photos. I also got my file number at this point.

The next correspondence I received was 11 months after applying when they had made their decision. I applied in November 2017 and my application was finalized in October 2018.

When I had my file number I could call the call center and ask for more info, however when i did all I was told was that there is no set processing times for TRPs and all I could do was wait until they contacted me.
Thanks for replying! How did you enter Canada if you need a TRP?? Aren't you 'inadmissible'? So where did you have to send your application then?

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
Just want to share my TRP experience for anyone that is looking for timeline information on this topic. I submitted a TRP extension and work permit application in Canada August 2018. I am still waiting to hear back from CIC on the application status. Will update my progress later.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
just want to give an update on my progress. I received an email from CIC in late January that my application was approved and will receive a letter in mail shortly. The whole process took about 5 months.

Window2176

Jan 4, 2018
just want to give an update on my progress. I received an email from CIC in late January that my application was approved and will receive a letter in mail shortly. The whole process took about 5 months.
Hi kanon. Thanks for this info.
I applied on December 15, 2018 via mail. Havnt received anything yet. Have been trying to call cic but they are too busy to transfer the call to an agent. For how long did they give you a trp. Did you also apply for a work permit along with it. Was this a multiple entry trp. Any help will be appreciated.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
Hi kanon. Thanks for this info.
I applied on December 15, 2018 via mail. Havnt received anything yet. Have been trying to call cic but they are too busy to transfer the call to an agent. For how long did they give you a trp. Did you also apply for a work permit along with it. Was this a multiple entry trp. Any help will be appreciated.
My best guess is that you would hear from CIC around early to mid June. I applied for a work permit as well along with the trp and both are valid for 1 year. I was expecting it to be 1 year. Anything past 1 year would have exceeded my passport expiration date.

The TRP was not a multiple entry trp. I had a trip planned last month and I took a calculated risk in moving forward with my trip. Upon landing back in Canada, I had all documents prepared in submitting a new TRP application. I explained to the CBSA that my TRP was not a multiple entry and they kindly amended my TRP to a multiple entry without reviewing my prepared documents for a new application.

seanmm24

Sep 6, 2018
My best guess is that you would hear from CIC around early to mid June. I applied for a work permit as well along with the trp and both are valid for 1 year. I was expecting it to be 1 year. Anything past 1 year would have exceeded my passport expiration date.

The TRP was not a multiple entry trp. I had a trip planned last month and I took a calculated risk in moving forward with my trip. Upon landing back in Canada, I had all documents prepared in submitting a new TRP application. I explained to the CBSA that my TRP was not a multiple entry and they kindly amended my TRP to a multiple entry without reviewing my prepared documents for a new application.

Hi Kanon,

Did you re-enter Canada though an airport or was it at a land crossing when you re-applied for your TRP? Glad to hear the risk paid off for you.

I was in the same boat with a single entry TRP late last year. I went to the border before a trip I had planned and explained that I needed to leave the country. The agents cancelled my TRP and reissued it with a multiple entry TRP there and then. I did have some very important reasons for leaving the country though, I doubt they would have done that for me if the trip I had planned was less important. It's also the luck of the draw who you get too.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
Hi Kanon,

Did you re-enter Canada though an airport or was it at a land crossing when you re-applied for your TRP? Glad to hear the risk paid off for you.

I was in the same boat with a single entry TRP late last year. I went to the border before a trip I had planned and explained that I needed to leave the country. The agents cancelled my TRP and reissued it with a multiple entry TRP there and then. I did have some very important reasons for leaving the country though, I doubt they would have done that for me if the trip I had planned was less important. It's also the luck of the draw who you get too.
Glad to hear it worked out for you as well.

I re-entered through Pearson airport.The officers were reasonable and didn't give me a hard time. Throughout the experience I felt they were working with me rather than being suspicious.

katty333

Nov 20, 2018

We are still waiting to hear even for a file number and we sent the application August 2018. They just tell me they will contact us for the next stage but as of now it is still in queue to be reviewed. Its really messing things up for our family as my partner cant fly into Canada so we are waiting it out in another country but are so eager to get our kids into school in Canada. Does anyone know if there is anyone to contact ??

Does anyone know how people are granted multiple entries?? I did not know it was possible to not be able to leave Canada for holiday if you have a TRP, why would that be the case?

Also my partner did not apply for a work permit at the same time. Can he do this once he is in Canada? Any idea how long the wait time is for that?