+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary resident permit and inland spousal sponsorship

Eternalk

Jul 11, 2019
Hello everyone

I recently applied for inland spousal sponsorship for my US husband . I am Canadian

Package received oct 8th but i did not get the email for immigration until Dec 7th. On Dec 16th my spouse got a email about he was granted a temporary resident permit. What is that ? Does everyone get one of those when they sponsor their spouse?

He already has a visitor visa that is good for 1 yr.

I am confused. Any response is appreciated.

Thanks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
That's odd. (the TRP, not the delay between package delivery and acknowledgement of receipt)

Of course the temporary resident visa is not good for one year. The admission is only for six months. A temporary resident permit would typically be issued if you applied to extend his stay while the PR application is being processed.

Have you hired a lawyer or consultant to help your application? They may have applied for the TRP for safety in status.

Eternalk

Jul 11, 2019
No lawyer. We applied by ourself.

The visitor visa that he has is for one year.

The TRP is indeed for 1 year also.

I am trying to figure out if this is the norm when one applies to sponsor their spouse inland.

Thanks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No lawyer. We applied by ourself.

The visitor visa that he has is for one year.

The TRP is indeed for 1 year also.

I am trying to figure out if this is the norm when one applies to sponsor their spouse inland.

Thanks
It's not.

Also, the visa does not entitle him to stay in Canada for one year. It only entitles him to stay for six months. The visa validity may be one year.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone

I recently applied for inland spousal sponsorship for my US husband . I am Canadian

Package received oct 8th but i did not get the email for immigration until Dec 7th. On Dec 16th my spouse got a email about he was granted a temporary resident permit. What is that ? Does everyone get one of those when they sponsor their spouse?

He already has a visitor visa that is good for 1 yr.

I am confused. Any response is appreciated.

Thanks
A TRP, Temporary Resident Permit, is a permit issued to people who are inadmissible to Canada. Be very clear if that is the document that you received, as that indicates something quite wrong.

As a US citizen, he wouldn't be able to get a visitor visa. Are you referring to a Visitor Record?

Eternalk

Jul 11, 2019
Thats what i feared that it means something bad. He doesnt have a criminal record. Yes he was just issued the TRP. Waiting on it in the mail but they sent us the notice in his email.

He has a vistor record not a visa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thats what i feared that it means something bad. He doesnt have a criminal record. Yes he was just issued the TRP. Waiting on it in the mail but they sent us the notice in his email.

He has a vistor record not a visa.
TRPs aren't just issued. He would have had to apply for it.

Reactions: k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yeah, that's what I'm confused about. There was either a massive administrative issue at IRCC or you applied for a TRP.

Eternalk

Jul 11, 2019
We never applied for a TRP. We didnt even know what it was until we google it. Guess i will have to call them.