+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary policy that exempts In-Canada applicants from giving Immigration Medical exam. Should I get one done?

megh05

Sep 8, 2018
Hi all,

I was booking an IME exam for myself and my husband for my PR application. After reading the new policy, I am confused whether I should go ahead with exam or not.
The new temporary policy states the following:

" If you completed an IME on or after October 6, 2017, as part of a previous application, include the IME number (or unique medical identifier number) from your previous medical exam in your current application.

You may be exempt from completing another IME if you meet all of these conditions:

• You applied, or are applying, for either permanent residence or temporary residence.
  • You already live in Canada.
  • You completed your previous IME in the last 5 years.
  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada found your medical exam to indicate a low risk or no risk to public health or public safety. "

Here's the link: IME Details

My husband and I have both gotten our IME done within the last 5 years. Should we use the same ones for my PR application?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Reactions: Miracle2018

tkhan270

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi all,

I was booking an IME exam for myself and my husband for my PR application. After reading the new policy, I am confused whether I should go ahead with exam or not.
The new temporary policy states the following:

" If you completed an IME on or after October 6, 2017, as part of a previous application, include the IME number (or unique medical identifier number) from your previous medical exam in your current application.

You may be exempt from completing another IME if you meet all of these conditions:

• You applied, or are applying, for either permanent residence or temporary residence.
  • You already live in Canada.
  • You completed your previous IME in the last 5 years.
  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada found your medical exam to indicate a low risk or no risk to public health or public safety. "

Here's the link: IME Details

My husband and I have both gotten our IME done within the last 5 years. Should we use the same ones for my PR application?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
I Used my old medicals, provided a letter of explanation stating the public policy and provided details of my previous medical. AOR Nov 3

Reactions: Miracle2018

PavanJagdheesh

Oct 25, 2018
Is it okay if the last IME, taken with within 5 years, be for temporary residence and not PR?
And also, should I submit just the information sheet?
Should we also submit this form 1017B?

megh05

Sep 8, 2018
I am not sure about this form 1017B. The IRCC website says 'include the IME number'. This is there on the information sheet.

Would be great of anyone could answer this question about attaching 1017B form. Also, I have included my husband as the unaccompanying spouse. He lives in Canada and has a PR already. Can he use his old IME as well?

syamili

Star Member
Sep 13, 2021
Hi megh05.
When you say old IME, was it previously used for immigration purpose?
I have an IME done during study permit(2019) and another one done in 2021 which is not used yet.So confused about which one I should use?