+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

temporary foreign worker gets pregnant

gicasherry

Dec 22, 2009
hi there,
just wanna ask about getting pregnant here with a co temporary foreign worker while on the said status of stay here. what if i get pregnant while am on contract for 2 years only? i have only been here fr about 8 months now. can i still continue my work with my employer? will i be sent home back to the philippines? can i deliver my baby here? what will be the status of my baby then? am i entitled to a maternity healthcare benefits? does my baby have any benefits too? thank you very much...

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Being pregnant or giving birth shouldn't affect your status, and nobody will send you back.

You will have to pay your own medical expenses unless you have insurance covering it. If you deliver the baby in Canada the baby will be born as a Canadian citizen and will get provincial health coverage immediately, so any expenses for care for the baby itself after that will be covered, but you will not get any coverage yourself form the event (unless you are in a province which covers temporary works and have coverage that way).

gicasherry said:
hi there,
just wanna ask about getting pregnant here with a co temporary foreign worker while on the said status of stay here. what if i get pregnant while am on contract for 2 years only? i have only been here fr about 8 months now. can i still continue my work with my employer? will i be sent home back to the philippines? can i deliver my baby here? what will be the status of my baby then? am i entitled to a maternity healthcare benefits? does my baby have any benefits too? thank you very much...

jlacombe

Sep 19, 2009
Another important thing to remember if you get pregnant in Canada as a TFW - your baby has citizenship here, but this does not give you any status. You will probably still have to go back to your home country at the end of your work permit unless you qualify for PR under the regular programs.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can stay at least until the end of your work permit. Nobody will send you home.

You can work as long as you are able to. When you are unable to work anymore, apply for EI maternity benefits at Service Canada. You can get benefits of 55% of your wages but no more than 400 and something per week for up to 50 weeks. Since you have paid into EI, that is your right.

If you are covered under the provincial health plan, which I assume you are since temporary workers on job contracts generally are, your maternity and delivery expenses will all be covered. The baby will be a citizen and have health care also.

There is some type of child benefit money from the taxes but I am not sure if you qualify for that as a temporary worker.

If your work permit expires while you are still on maternity leave, you may be able to ask to change your status to visitor while still receiving the benefits and keeping your health care. Another person on this forum who was in the same situation was advised to do that.

gorgeous

Apr 6, 2010
hi ive got on the same situation.. i was 3 months pregnant now. and my working permit already expires last march 5 2010. and im still waiting for my other working permit. am i entitled to go back home?

sakshi

Apr 3, 2010
goregous - if you go back then you will need a new work permit or wait for this work permit to come and then someone can mail you that work permit. Depending on your country of citizenship you may also need a Visa

javen

Apr 29, 2010
I have the same situation I'm on my 3rd trimester now and I'll be giving birth on July however my working visa will expire on Oct. 2010. I didn't apply for an E.I. because my hours were not enough I've been staying here for almost 2 yrs. but I only worked for 3 months since I got lay-off I haven't got any chance to have a new employer. My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen but he's still married and just separated for 2 yrs. now but he never apply anything to change his status from married to legally separated. We're living together for a year now can he apply for my sponsorship? Can I name our child after him though we're not married? What's the best thing to do to stay in Canada if ever he can't sponsor me? How long can I stay after my visa expires? Thanks..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have lived together for a year or more, he can sponsor you as a common law spouse, even though he is still not divorced.

Before your work permit expires, you need to apply to change your status to visitor if you want to stay in Canada.

javen

Apr 29, 2010
What are the requirements needed for the sponsorship? What will be my status if ever the government approve the sponsorship? Thanks. :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He can not be bankrupt or on social assistance. Some types of criminal record will also affect his ability to sponsor. You have to prove to immigration that you have been living together for 12 or more months and that your relationship is genuine. If the sponsorship goes through, you will have the status of a permanent resident and you will have to live in Canada for 2-3 more years to be able to apply for citizenship.

javen

Apr 29, 2010
The only proof that we're together for a year now is we live in the same address. We don't have joint accounts or any liabilities that named before us. Is it enough proof? We have no idea in anything. Please give us an advice... Thanks..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have mail addressed to both of you at the same address? Can you get a letter from your bank stating since when you live at that address? Statements from friends and his relatives since when you have been living together? Every little bit helps.

javen

Apr 29, 2010
Only few bills under my name with our current address because I never ask for any paper mails from my bank. We may only have friends whom we live in the same house. That's all we've got.

ydnarebeb

Apr 20, 2010
hi, if you don't mind..where can i get an application for common law? can i submit it by mail or in person? can i submit it by myself coz my bf is not in canada right now but we're living together for 6 years..thanks!