+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

temporary foreign worker gets pregnant

thart

Nov 29, 2010
Leon said:
I see no reason why your boyfriend can't sponsor you if you marry even if you do not live together. You have a chance of applying outland or inland. Outland is faster but could cause you to have to go to your home country if there is an interview. If you apply inland and apply for an open work permit at the same time, the average time to get it is now 11-12 months.

I don't know when your work permit expires but before it expires, if you are on maternity leave, you can apply to change your status to visitor in order to stay in Canada. If you are married and are being sponsored for PR, they will almost always allow you to stay.
first of all, thank you leon for your kind response. i still have a question though because as a far as i reviewed in some threads regarding how to prove the genuine relationship is that we should be living together for at least a year. is that necessary to become eligible in applying for sponsorship? I can live with him in there if not only for my work (cos he's there in toronto while i am here in montreal). but as soon as we got approved i surely will be living with him and start our life together with our baby. I am just worried that the visa officer will denied our application because we don't live together even for a year though we have lots of proofs that we've been in our relationships for 3 years except that living together of course..

btw, my working permit will still expires on july of 2014 so i don't think i would still need to apply for working permit together with the sponsorship if ever so.. do i?

thank you again leon. :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thart said:
first of all, thank you leon for your kind response. i still have a question though because as a far as i reviewed in some threads regarding how to prove the genuine relationship is that we should be living together for at least a year. is that necessary to become eligible in applying for sponsorship?
Living together for one year is only necessary when applying for sponsorship as common law partners, not for marriage.

thart

Nov 29, 2010
Leon said:
Living together for one year is only necessary when applying for sponsorship as common law partners, not for marriage.
oh ok..thanks a lot for that leon..at least now, we know. it's a big relief for us coz we really want to be together and make our happy family on our own. thanks a lot for that...more power to you and may you help more people how to make decisions properly. :)

Anne910

Jul 10, 2012
Hi, I just wanna ask coz I'm a foreign worker and I'm on my maternity leave now but my problem is my work permit is only valid until December 2012, can I still get my employment benefits after my work permit expires? Can i still stay here in canada without a new valid work permit? but right now my husband is applying for an open visa for me so I could still have a status and we are also currently applying for PR. Thank you in advance :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I remember a woman in the same situation posting that she had talked to EI where she lived and they had said if she changed her status to visitor to be allowed to stay after the expiry of her work permit, she would still be able to get EI maternity benefits. However, maybe they don't agree where you live. You have to talk to them and ask.

godsmack0918

Apr 10, 2012
Hello guys I am very troubled right now. Here is my situation: My husband is a Canadian citizen and we already sent in our spousal sponsorship application OUTLAND to Manila last month. my work permit expired this August 4,2012 yet I have already sent in an application to change my status to visitor before my work permit expired. We are currently living in Ontario and I am now receiving maternity benefits. Now that my work permit is expired, I think I would not be receiving EI benefits anymore. Is this true? Anyone who has any idea if I will sill be eligible for benefits while on visitor visa? Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Feb 2, 2015
Hi just want to ask coz my friend is temporary worker in canada and her permit xpired already last dec 2014 and she gave birth here in canada just want to know what us the status of the baby ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1975 said:
Hi just want to ask coz my friend is temporary worker in canada and her permit xpired already last dec 2014 and she gave birth here in canada just want to know what us the status of the baby ?
A baby born in Canada is Canadian unless the parents are diplomats. She can get a birth certificate for her baby, a Canadian passport and a SIN. However, the status of her baby will not affect her status. If she is out of status, she either needs to fix that or go home. If her work permit expired in December, that is still less than 90 days so she can still apply to restore her status to visitor.

Akohsi

Feb 11, 2015
Hi im a temporary foreign worker, ive been here since dec.2013 under work permit but did not work for the company that i supposed to work with because they said that too much employee and told me just to find other employer which unfortunately the moratorium came and hard to find lmia and im 22wks pregnant with my canadian bf which support me since july last year because i dont have job..just want to ask what will be the status of my baby and what benefits my baby can get?can my baby get some support to govt since the father is canadian?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Akohsi said:
Hi im a temporary foreign worker, ive been here since dec.2013 under work permit but did not work for the company that i supposed to work with because they said that too much employee and told me just to find other employer which unfortunately the moratorium came and hard to find lmia and im 22wks pregnant with my canadian bf which support me since july last year because i dont have job..just want to ask what will be the status of my baby and what benefits my baby can get?can my baby get some support to govt since the father is canadian?
Your baby will be a Canadian citizen if born in Canada and will have all of the benefits that a Canadian citizen has. However you will most likely have to pay for all of the costs of the birth out of your own pocket.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Akohsi said:
Have you applied for EI unemployment benefits? If you manage to start your maternity leave while you still have 600 hours worked in the past 12 months, you would be eligible for maternity and parental leave. If you have health care, your child birth will be covered. The baby will be Canadian and will have health care too. Since the father is Canadian, he can sponsor you for PR and he can apply for child tax benefit for your baby.

Akohsi

Feb 11, 2015
No im not allowed because since i got here i dont have a chance to work...but i have my health care ... So the father can apply the cctb thats great thanks!

MariaMartinez

Apr 13, 2016
Hi,
If you have been working 4 years as temporary worker and you have the unemployment benefits, but you get pregnant few months later so you get the maternity leave, but you have to leave the country, could you continue receiving the maternity leave economic aid?
Many thanks in advance