+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary foreign worker and emergency health insurance

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Hi,

I have just obtained my SIN to work in Quebec as a temporary foreign worker (I have an open work permit).
I have been given some papers to read and one says that: my employer must obtain and pay for a private emergency health insurance until I am on the provincial healthcare system.

I entered Canada as visitor a while ago and I already have a travel and medical insurance with very good T&C and coverage. However, if I start working and my employer buys another health insurance for me, I will be double-insured which I know is not a good situation to be.

First of all, I am concious that the papers I have been given are 'federal' stuff, whereas the health care is provincial, so does the above applies to Quebec?

If yes, any suggestion on what I should do? Can I refuse the employers temporary HI and simply stay on my travel insurance until I am on the RAMQ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I have just obtained my SIN to work in Quebec as a temporary foreign worker (I have an open work permit).
I have been given some papers to read and one says that: my employer must obtain and pay for a private emergency health insurance until I am on the provincial healthcare system.

I entered Canada as visitor a while ago and I already have a travel and medical insurance with very good T&C and coverage. However, if I start working and my employer buys another health insurance for me, I will be double-insured which I know is not a good situation to be.

First of all, I am concious that the papers I have been given are 'federal' stuff, whereas the health care is provincial, so does the above applies to Quebec?

If yes, any suggestion on what I should do? Can I refuse the employers temporary HI and simply stay on my travel insurance until I am on the RAMQ?
Believe this is limited to employees who have closed work permit and typically employees who get hired while abroad to provide HC coverage between their arrival in Canada and the 3 month wait period for RAMQ. I would verify with your HR department. Looks like you got the OWP because your spouse is sponsoring you in Quebec.

Last edited: