+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temp Res or Skilled workers or get married....what to do?

kevinyyz

Jul 29, 2008
Ok here's the story. I am a Canadian living in Mississauga. My girlfriend is an American from Buffalo. We recently bought a house in Stoney Creek, Ont. So far it is only in my name, closing date is not until OCT 08, so we trying to figure out if we can/should put it in both of our names. Our intention is to marry in summer of 2009. She works for a U.S. company but works from home (usually from my place in Mississauga). Originally our thoughts were to have her apply as a skilled worker for permanent res (she would pass no problem) so that we could live together until we get married next summer. Then we realized that it would probably be a waste of time and money to apply for this visa since it take upwards of 20 month to get approved. We mind as well wait to get married and then apply as spouses.

Basically my question is can we live together in Canada until we get married in Sept 2009? She usually returns to the U.S. every 2 or 3 weeks sometimes to visit her family and sometimes for business. Can she stay in Canada while returning to the U.S. every once and a while? I know she can legally on visit for only 6 months but does returning to the U.S. every once and a while 'reset the clock"?

As of right now she is staying with me in Mississauga but still has her N.Y. address, Licence, Vehicle Plates..etc. We also have a cottage purchased together in both of our names, in Niagara Falls, Ont. When she comes to Canada from the U.S. she usually tells Canada customs that she is going to her cottage.

Any ideas?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kevinyyz said:
Ok here's the story. I am a Canadian living in Mississauga. My girlfriend is an American from Buffalo. We recently bought a house in Stoney Creek, Ont. So far it is only in my name, closing date is not until OCT 08, so we trying to figure out if we can/should put it in both of our names. Our intention is to marry in summer of 2009. She works for a U.S. company but works from home (usually from my place in Mississauga). Originally our thoughts were to have her apply as a skilled worker for permanent res (she would pass no problem) so that we could live together until we get married next summer. Then we realized that it would probably be a waste of time and money to apply for this visa since it take upwards of 20 month to get approved. We mind as well wait to get married and then apply as spouses.

Basically my question is can we live together in Canada until we get married in Sept 2009? She usually returns to the U.S. every 2 or 3 weeks sometimes to visit her family and sometimes for business. Can she stay in Canada while returning to the U.S. every once and a while? I know she can legally on visit for only 6 months but does returning to the U.S. every once and a while 'reset the clock"?

As of right now she is staying with me in Mississauga but still has her N.Y. address, Licence, Vehicle Plates..etc. We also have a cottage purchased together in both of our names, in Niagara Falls, Ont. When she comes to Canada from the U.S. she usually tells Canada customs that she is going to her cottage.

Any ideas?
The "clock" is reset each time she applies for entry, but there is the possibility one of these times the CBSA at the border may decide that she is residing permanently in Canada, and refuse admission. Unlikely, but it can happen.

PMM

kevinyyz

Jul 29, 2008
By 'applies for entry" do you mean crossing the border? Or is something she actually has to apply for like a visitor's visa or something?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kevinyyz said:
By 'applies for entry" do you mean crossing the border? Or is something she actually has to apply for like a visitor's visa or something?
Crossing the border.

PMM