+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Telling the truth at the border

Christine Th

Nov 24, 2017
Hi there, im wondering if any of you successfully got accepted to enter Canada as a visitor when you told the border officicals that you are going to get married there ?

Christine Th

Nov 24, 2017
You don't mention that straight up, but don't lie if they ask.

How long are you coming for?
Ill fly there with my husband to be in May after our marriage in my home country. My return ticket is in September however we might do the inland there. So im not sure how to answer the Officials if they ask what my purpose of visit is ?
Would they refuse to let me in if i tell them the truth ?

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
When we got married in Canada my husband came on a visitor visa. He said he was here to visit me, his girlfriend. Which is the truth. If they had pushed further he’d have told the whole truth but the agent didn’t.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Ill fly there with my husband to be in May after our marriage in my home country. My return ticket is in September however we might do the inland there. So im not sure how to answer the Officials if they ask what my purpose of visit is ?
Would they refuse to let me in if i tell them the truth ?
Better off to tell the truth. Don’t lie!

Christine Th

Nov 24, 2017
When we got married in Canada my husband came on a visitor visa. He said he was here to visit me, his girlfriend. Which is the truth. If they had pushed further he’d have told the whole truth but the agent didn’t.
I cannot tell im visit my boyfriend cause we will get married in my country before i come plus we will fly together there asl well so it doesnt make sense if im coming with him and say visiting him

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
You're coming as a visitor. You have ties to your own country (job, house, etc - bring evidence if you can in case). Just visiting as your husband has been offered a job in Canada (or whatever the true story is in your case). You are considering all options, including applying inland or outland, if they push. You have return ticket and won't overstay.

Just don't arrive like it's a done deal. To be a visitor you have to intend to return. Once your application is in and acknowledged (AOR) you can leave briefly and return as dual intent.

Christine Th

Nov 24, 2017
Thank you your all advice. There is one more question im wondering. Is this true if i want to do the inland i have to get married in Canada?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Thank you your all advice. There is one more question im wondering. Is this true if i want to do the inland i have to get married in Canada?
No. You only need to be married and residing in Canada with your spouse (or common law)

bij4

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Hi !
I am planning to do the same thing with my fiance. Not sure what to write in the invitation letter though. Can we say its just to visit me? because we plan on getting married like a week after her landing .
thanks

Christine Th

Nov 24, 2017
Hi !
I am planning to do the same thing with my fiance. Not sure what to write in the invitation letter though. Can we say its just to visit me? because we plan on getting married like a week after her landing .
thanks
I got through the TRV application i think i can help you with.
I think in your invitation you should write like you want to invite her to come to visit you, your families and friends and get to know your life better or something like that. Its better to call her girlfriend instead of fiancee in the letter . Also you have to prove that she has strong ties at home and she is not planing to overstay. If you write on the invitation that your purpose to bring her there to get married they will reject your visa application i think.
I know its kinda against with my post but im in a different situation. I got my TRV already and i also have been in Canada twice and didnt overstay.
The last 2 visits i just told the border officials that im visiting my boyfriend which was my honest purpose

geografa

Apr 30, 2017
I got through the TRV application i think i can help you with.
I think in your invitation you should write like you want to invite her to come to visit you, your families and friends and get to know your life better or something like that. Its better to call her girlfriend instead of fiancee in the letter . Also you have to prove that she has strong ties at home and she is not planing to overstay. If you write on the invitation that your purpose to bring her there to get married they will reject your visa application i think.
I know its kinda against with my post but im in a different situation. I got my TRV already and i also have been in Canada twice and didnt overstay.
The last 2 visits i just told the border officials that im visiting my boyfriend which was my honest purpose
Heya, are you from a visa-exempt country?

Theateam

Nov 8, 2017
Hi there, im wondering if any of you successfully got accepted to enter Canada as a visitor when you told the border officicals that you are going to get married there ?
We were honest with the border, and told them the truth that we were getting married that weekend. They asked what our plans were, and we told them. They noted everything, and the officer gave my husband a visitor record for several months and advised to apply for PR as soon as possible along with an extension for his visitor record. My husband wasn’t going to stay in Canada with me at that point, as he was returning to the USA. We had no issues whatsoever. I believe that you always have to be truthful and answer their questions. Honesty is the best policy.

Reactions: Canadian.In.NZ.