+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Telecommute to US from Canada . . . What Visa Do I Need?

Weegoki

Jul 11, 2011
As with most forums, I see many posts with the same situation I am experiencing . . . but there is not resolution, results or findings posted. Thus, be patient as I pose the same question that has been posted several times over.

My boyfriend has recently accepted a position at his companies Vancouver BC office. He will have a letter of employment at the time of crossing the border . . . and I'm hoping he will have me.

I am self-effiecient but not self-employed. I work for a large US company as a web producer for a nationally syndicated television show. I have the luxury of being able to telecommute. The company does not have a "branch" in Canada. There is a subsiderary in the Montreal region but I really don't/shouldn't count on it.

I will not be "taking a position" away from a qualified Canadian. In essence, I am creating a job in Canada -- my own.

My question is -- what Visa, if any, is needed? What documentation should I have? Do I just need proof of employment?

Help me get to Canada!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Even though you can visit Canada as a US passport holder without a visa, you can't "live" in Canada without some kind of status (i.e. visa).

How long have you been with your boyfriend? Have you lived together for at least one full year? The only option I see right now is that you be included in his work permit as an accompaying spouse/common law partner. However in order for this to work, you actually have to be common law (i.e. have lived together for at least one full year).

Hopefully others will comment. Maybe there's something obvious here I'm missing...