13-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-06-2019
IELTS Request
TEF: C1/ B2 IELTS: Band 8
Med's Done....
24-06-2019
Hi French Speakers and Learners,

I do not speak French at all, but aiming to get the following scores within 6-8 months...Let's get real and be real?

Speaking 349-370 out of maximum of 393-450
Listening 249-279 out of maximum of 316-360
Reading 207-232 out of maximum of 263-300
Writing 310-348 out of maximum of 393-450

IS IT REAL TO GET THE ABOVE SCORES WITHIN 6-8 MONTHS IF I STUDY EVERY DAY? :'( :'( :'( :'( How do you study for French?
I don't want to discourage you, but at the same time I would like to share my story.

My mother tongue is Spanish so the grammar is very, very similar and so are many words. I started studying in an intensive course 8 hours a weeks, plus 4 hours on my own. After 8 very intensive months I was able to score B1 on the oral parts only. After that I left on a student visa to France where I spent 8 months. Only then I was able to score C1/B2 on the TCF. Living in France definitely made the different and also being a Spanish speaker. In conclusion, it took me almost two years to get C1/B2.

In my humble opinion, unless you can live in France and go to school it will be really, really hard to achieve the desired score. At least not in 8 months.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018

gaiou37

Star Member
Oct 31, 2016
Victoria, BC
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I took TEF and found it super easy (French is my mother language though), even a bit easier than CELPIP (and I would say I speak English better than French now).

Someone who doesn't speak French very well would have a really difficult time though, I doubt it's realistic in 6-8 months.

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
I got C1 in Listening and Reading today after 2 years (lots of pauses in between). I'd have to retake it as Speaking and Writing were not good.

Steveleb123

Mar 23, 2017
AOR Received.
09-01-2018
I don't want to discourage you, but at the same time I would like to share my story.

My mother tongue is Spanish so the grammar is very, very similar and so are many words. I started studying in an intensive course 8 hours a weeks, plus 4 hours on my own. After 8 very intensive months I was able to score B1 on the oral parts only. After that I left on a student visa to France where I spent 8 months. Only then I was able to score C1/B2 on the TCF. Living in France definitely made the different and also being a Spanish speaker. In conclusion, it took me almost two years to get C1/B2.

In my humble opinion, unless you can live in France and go to school it will be really, really hard to achieve the desired score. At least not in 8 months.
Urgent Help PLZ!!!
in EE application filling for french language test TEF:
"When did you receive scores?"

Where can i find the date in my score sheet??

Ritman

Oct 18, 2017
Urgent Help PLZ!!!
in EE application filling for french language test TEF:
"When did you receive scores?"

Where can i find the date in my score sheet??
in the upper left corner

under TABLEAU DE RÉSULTATS

my:
Session ETEF_CANADA du 29 septembre 2017

Ritman

Oct 18, 2017
Hi guys. I passed TEF a month ago and got R-B2, L-C1, W-C1, S-B1. I didn't understand why speaking b1, becouse my french well. My teacher said I could have spoken with the wrong intonation. It may be true?

Steveleb123

Mar 23, 2017
AOR Received.
09-01-2018
in the upper left corner

under TABLEAU DE RÉSULTATS

my:
Session ETEF_CANADA du 29 septembre 2017
Hi there thx for your answer just saw it. I guess the date you mentioned in the upper area is the date of your exam however date of scores received is in the bottom. That's what we filled

Vinzz

Nov 6, 2017

I took the TEF four days ago and it was not as easy as I was expecting ! Am a non-native but I studied French since the age of 5 till 18. French was not my favorite subject at school and always been average in writing compare to my classmate who always score 'A' in French. I always watched movies/shows in French and do speak it with families and friends sometimes. All medias in my country is in French, so I 'thought' it was not a 'big deal' for me to take the TEF .

Compréhension écrite
I was surprised I could not understand two of the last comprehension and their questions which make me waste time and had to rush on the last part which was quite easy but surely, I let go some errors due to time constrain.

Compréhension orale
It tends to get from easy to difficult and at some point, I could not understand as you have to listen to a quite difficult conversation between two people and reply the questions at the same time. Even the native French who were there found that part difficult.

Expression orale
The examiner will not make your life easy for section B, as you will have to convince him/her on a topic. I think I've done well but never know.

Expression écrite
I did have enough time to complete my essay but for non-native, surely you have to practice and read a lot before going through that one. I know I have done some mistakes as for some words I didn’t know or forgot how its actually written and the exact verbs that should be apply (Accord du verbe avec le sujet, etc)

Let’s wait for the result now !!

Last edited:
Reactions: trumprefugee

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I took the TEF four days ago and it was not as easy as I was expecting ! Am a non-native but I studied French since the age of 5 till 18. French was not my favorite subject at school and always been average in writing compare to my classmate who always score 'A' in French. I always watched movies/shows in French and do speak it with some families and friends. All medias in my country is in French, so I 'thought' it was not a 'big deal' for me to take the TEF .

Compréhension écrite
I was surprised I could not understand two of the last comprehension and their questions which make me waste time and had to rush on the last part which was quite easy but surely, I let go some errors due to time constrain.

Compréhension orale
It tends to get from easy to difficult and at some point, I could not understand as you have to listen to a quite difficult conversation between two people and reply the questions at the same time. Even the native French who were there found that part difficult.

Expression orale
The examiner will not make your life easy for section B, as you will have to convince him/her on a topic. I think I've done well but never know.

Expression écrite
I did have enough time to complete my essay but for non-native, surely you have to practice and read a lot before going through that one. I know I have done some mistakes as for some words I didn’t know or forgot how its actually written and the exact verbs that should be apply (Accord du verbe avec le sujet, etc)

Let’s wait for the result now !!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Best of luck with your results, and please share when you receive them.

What did you do to prepare for the exam, and for how long? Although it sounds like your French is very good and you wouldn't need a lot of preparation.

How long does it take to receive your results?

Vinzz

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for sharing your experience! Best of luck with your results, and please share when you receive them.

What did you do to prepare for the exam, and for how long? Although it sounds like your French is very good and you wouldn't need a lot of preparation.

I've just done only two weeks preparation working mostly on my written French and revising some verbs. I've read the TEF manual to get an idea how the test will be carried out.
The result will be out in 4 to 6 weeks.

Vinzz

Nov 6, 2017

Here my result:

Reading 259/300 .. CLB 9
Listening 266/300 CLB 7 (
Writing 325/450 .. CLB 7 ( No surprise .. Always scoring low since school)
Speaking 392/450 .. CLB 9

Is it a good result ?

Reactions: trumprefugee

Binabik

Star Member
Aug 15, 2017
Canada
Here my result:

Reading 259/300 .. CLB 9
Listening 266/300 CLB 7 (
Writing 325/450 .. CLB 7 ( No surprise .. Always scoring low since school)
Speaking 392/450 .. CLB 9

Is it a good result ?
Yes it is actually pretty good. With these results you can claim 18 points for the second official language, and in addition from 15 to 30 points for the French-language skills. This can really help!

Reactions: Vinzz