+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Technicality question about PR process

Luye

Jul 26, 2019
i filed my PR and am only in the received stage so far. My dependent 19 yr old son living here in canada with me University needs any federal correspondence relating to our application that states his name in order to qualify for a tuition decrease. at the time of our hearing he turned 18 a month prior so our cases were automatically separated. The claim was never centered on him so i was accepted and he was denied. We thought nothing of it considering he’s my son and included in my PR application anway

the problem now is he’s in a legal gap for things like tuition decrease, medicare card etc. Thankfully his school just needs any kind of correspondence with regards to our PR application that states his legal name to lower his tuition

my question is how soon did people here with families on their application did you start receiving letters with said family names on them. My application has only been received and were guessing the next stage of “opened and being processed” is when we can expect an ircc correspondence to state his name since at that point the government will start processing each individual pr card of all my dependents

is that correct?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i filed my PR and am only in the received stage so far. My dependent 19 yr old son living here in canada with me University needs any federal correspondence relating to our application that states his name in order to qualify for a tuition decrease. at the time of our hearing he turned 18 a month prior so our cases were automatically separated. The claim was never centered on him so i was accepted and he was denied. We thought nothing of it considering he’s my son and included in my PR application anway

the problem now is he’s in a legal gap for things like tuition decrease, medicare card etc. Thankfully his school just needs any kind of correspondence with regards to our PR application that states his legal name to lower his tuition

my question is how soon did people here with families on their application did you start receiving letters with said family names on them. My application has only been received and were guessing the next stage of “opened and being processed” is when we can expect an ircc correspondence to state his name since at that point the government will start processing each individual pr card of all my dependents

is that correct?
If you are the only one who got approved as a protected person you qualify to get your PR first and then your dependents get processed once you have been approved for PR.

Luye

Jul 26, 2019
If you are the only one who got approved as a protected person you qualify to get your PR first and then your dependents get processed once you have been approved for PR.
Even if he lives here with me and was stated as my dependent when I initially came into the country. That can’t be true becuase his leaving order became null immediately and 30 days later we didnt recieve any letters relating to that. He was also approved for a work permit and study permit. My lawyer told me for my two children outside the country it will take a little longer but for the one here with me he’ll get his PR same day as mi
Can u pls direct me to some writing on this issue so i can read up

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even if he lives here with me and was stated as my dependent when I initially came into the country. That can’t be true becuase his leaving order became null immediately and 30 days later we didnt recieve any letters relating to that. He was also approved for a work permit and study permit. My lawyer told me for my two children outside the country it will take a little longer but for the one here with me he’ll get his PR same day as mi
Can u pls direct me to some writing on this issue so i can read up
sorry used incorrect wording you will be approved first and based on your approval your dependents approval starts. Processing abroad leads to extra delays for dependents abroad but they will start being processed based on your PR approval.

Luye

Jul 26, 2019
sorry used incorrect wording you will be approved first and based on your approval your dependents approval starts. Processing abroad leads to extra delays for dependents abroad but they will start being processed based on your PR approval.
Ok thanks for the info

so from what I understand and have been told by my lawyer the dependent here with me i should expect their PR to be processed in tandem with mine while the others outside Canada would have to wait slightly longer