+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Teaching experience as a caregiver

Thai224

May 7, 2012
LoveCrew said:
Dear all

Im an indonesian female and recently there is a family in canada who hire me and my lmo expired january 2012 I have a long way to go since I have to get my passport first and the family wants me there september this year

My question is I do not have caregiving experience. All I have is a year teaching experience with junior high scool kids, freelance courses to kids and volunteering for a month during college.

Does that count as an experience? What I should.do? And what kinda questions will they ask me at the embassy? Thank you

I have read a bit here but I still cant find answers to my.questions

Hi, I am glad I found this topic. I was an elementary teacher before and I taught grades 2-6, and became pre-kindergarten Teacher Assistant for 6 months in an International School and transferred to a government school as an elementary teacher again and a subject teacher for Kindergarten aged 3-4 for one year and now I am a grade one teacher for two years already in the same school. My question is, am I qualified to work as a nanny in Canada under LCP? I have already an employer who is applying for LMO.

I hope someone can answer me...thanks..

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
I used to be a teacher before I applied for a work permit under LCP. In my work permit application, I included a cover letter stating the duties that I did as a teacher which relates with the duties that I was going to do as a nanny, for example reading stories, preparing crafts, supervising children while snack/lunch break, etc.
These are the requirements you must meet to apply for a work permit under LCP:
•A positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from an employer in Canada
•A written contract with your future employer, signed by you and your employer
•Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
Provide secondary school education certificate. Ask a professional translator to translate the certificate into English if it is not written in English

•At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
I used my teaching experience to meet this requirement. Prepare pay slips from the school you are working for. I was asked to bring these slips when I was invited for an interview at the consulate as a proof that I had been paid for teaching. Translate the pay slips into English if they are not written in English.

•Good knowledge of English or French

Click the link below for complete information on the requirements
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/apply-who.asp

Thai224

May 7, 2012
dna said:
Based on my experience, the interviewer asked about some basic first aid knowledge. I think it will be good if you take first aid training for child care provider. The training usually only takes 2 days.
Since I didn't have any caregiver experience, I wrote a cover letter to show that some job duties that I had when I was teaching are related to the duties that I have to do as a live in caregiver (nanny), eg: reading stories, supervising students during break, preparing crafts, etc. Try to write as much as you can to convince the officer at the consulate/embassy that you are qualified for the job offered.
I would be happy to give more infos based on my experience.
May I know where you are from in Indonesia and where your job is going to be in Canada?
Make sure you bring all the documents required (original and copies) when you are invited for the interview.
Good luck with interview.

Hi DNA

please give me some advise, my work permit application for care giver is refused. can I re apply right away? I am teacher by profession same as you are.. I am teaching kindergarten and grades 1 nad 2 for almost 8 years...Please help...

irmibi

Oct 19, 2012
dna said:
Based on my experience, the interviewer asked about some basic first aid knowledge. I think it will be good if you take first aid training for child care provider. The training usually only takes 2 days.
Since I didn't have any caregiver experience, I wrote a cover letter to show that some job duties that I had when I was teaching are related to the duties that I have to do as a live in caregiver (nanny), eg: reading stories, supervising students during break, preparing crafts, etc. Try to write as much as you can to convince the officer at the consulate/embassy that you are qualified for the job offered.
I would be happy to give more infos based on my experience.
May I know where you are from in Indonesia and where your job is going to be in Canada?
Make sure you bring all the documents required (original and copies) when you are invited for the interview.
Good luck with interview.
Hi,

I'm hiring a live in caregiver from Indonesia and had a positive LMO, since I live within Quebec province she has to apply for CAQ and she is in the process on that as soon as MICC giving her instruction. My question is, is her copy of passport, birth certificate and education has to be translated to English and certify? What is the question during interview for visa? after the interview how long it will take to get medical check and after the medical check how long to finally get the working permit?

I thank you in advance for all your help.

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
Sorry, I just read your post. I hope it's not too late to answer it now.

When applying for work permit, I sent the original passport. The biodata page is written in both Indonesian and English. My high school certificate was translated by certified translator. I think I sent the copy of the translation. I got my pay stubs (12 months) translated. I brought the original high school certificate (Indonesian and translation) and pay stubs (original/Indonesian and translation) to the interview. I did my medical check up at the designated practitioner before submitting my application and sent the copy of the medical check up receipt with my application.

fafa1004

Jan 5, 2013
dna said:
hai, I come from Indonesia too
right now I am still waiting for LMO from my future employer

may I know , what kind of question the visa officer ask ?
or is there anything special I have to do or prepare beforehand ?

thank you in advance :)

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
Here are some questions I remember that the visa officer asked: how you get to know your employer, how many children you are going to look after and their ages, your working experience with children, some first aid questions (it will help if you join first aid training if you haven't attended one). I reread my employment contract before interview in case the officer asked regarding my employer, the children I would look after and my duties.

Dec 12, 2012
hi..can you guys help me please?
i am a secondary teacher in the Philippines and is applying as a live in caregiver in canada. i have my future employer and at present they are applying for my LMO. But i am afraid because i don't have any experience as a nanny and doesn't have a caregiver course because i am a teacher. is there any possibility that my work application be accepted or approved by the embassy??? any help guys will do..thanks... :)

Thai224

May 7, 2012
dna said:
I used to be a teacher before I applied for a work permit under LCP. In my work permit application, I included a cover letter stating the duties that I did as a teacher which relates with the duties that I was going to do as a nanny, for example reading stories, preparing crafts, supervising children while snack/lunch break, etc.
These are the requirements you must meet to apply for a work permit under LCP:
•A positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from an employer in Canada
•A written contract with your future employer, signed by you and your employer
•Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
Provide secondary school education certificate. Ask a professional translator to translate the certificate into English if it is not written in English

•At least six months' training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
I used my teaching experience to meet this requirement. Prepare pay slips from the school you are working for. I was asked to bring these slips when I was invited for an interview at the consulate as a proof that I had been paid for teaching. Translate the pay slips into English if they are not written in English.

•Good knowledge of English or French

Click the link below for complete information on the requirements
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/apply-who.asp
Thank you so much DNA..

dodu20

Mar 20, 2013
Hi , I don`t know if you can help me , my sister in law is from phillipines and here as a visitor in canada , but now she like to be a caregiver but she don`t have any experience so do you know a school around montreal where she can study to be quaqlify as a caregiver ,

thanks a lot

Dodu20

Joe0915

Star Member
Aug 24, 2021
hi..can you guys help me please?
i am a secondary teacher in the Philippines and is applying as a live in caregiver in canada. i have my future employer and at present they are applying for my LMO. But i am afraid because i don't have any experience as a nanny and doesn't have a caregiver course because i am a teacher. is there any possibility that my work application be accepted or approved by the embassy??? any help guys will do..thanks... :)
Hi! How was your application?are you in canada already?

Joe0915

Star Member
Aug 24, 2021
Dear all

Im an indonesian female and recently there is a family in canada who hire me and my lmo expired january 2012 I have a long way to go since I have to get my passport first and the family wants me there september this year

My question is I do not have caregiving experience. All I have is a year teaching experience with junior high scool kids, freelance courses to kids and volunteering for a month during college.

Does that count as an experience? What I should.do? And what kinda questions will they ask me at the embassy? Thank you

I have read a bit here but I still cant find answers to my.questions
Hi! How was your application?are you in canada already?