+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Teaching Assistant "continuous" work experience

them3ntor

Apr 20, 2018
Dear Fellow Applicants and Successful Candidates,

I have a question regarding the definition of "continuous" work experience for TA's under FSW and Express Entry program. I am presently doing my MS in CS and also employed in my university as a Teaching Assistant for CS courses outside Canada. I work 20 hrs/week in exchange for full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend. I found that NOC 4012 matches my work description criteria.

The CIC website states that the work has to be full-time or part-time but "continuous". As you probably know, Teaching Assistants usually work only during the semesters, which in my case is each 4 months in duration. Based on their figures, I believe if I show 3 semesters' work I will obtain the required 1560 hours.

I am confused whether the winter/summer vacations would make me ineligible as I can't work during this time. Could someone please shred some light into it? It will be helpful if you could please share your personal story if you have one regarding this matter. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

PlimPlum

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
University professors work on a semester basis too, but they are still considered employed during the summer. Similarly, Teaching/Research Assistants are typically paid over the summer too even if they are not actually doing any work. I think it is still a continuous employment, but wait for someone who is more qualified to answer your question.

Reactions: them3ntor

them3ntor

Apr 20, 2018
University professors work on a semester basis too, but they are still considered employed during the summer. Similarly, Teaching/Research Assistants are typically paid over the summer too even if they are not actually doing any work. I think it is still a continuous employment, but wait for someone who is more qualified to answer your question.
Research Assistants are usually paid over the vacations as they work for professors throughout the year regardless of vacations or not, but in my knowledge I haven't seen Teaching Assistants being paid over the vacations as many universities limit the number of courses offered during their summer/winter semesters.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
outside Canada
What you can do (once you complete the minimum required year of full-time equivalency) is to create a profile with a single entry that shows continuous work.

Once you receive an ITA you will then have to explain that due to the nature of your job it is not possible to complete the continuous requirement of the FSW program. Thus, you will ask the processing officer to consider your work experience even though you're not able to work during a certain period during the year.

Applicants' have managed to succeed with this approach. I cannot guarantee that will be the case with your application but it is your way out if you're looking to apply with this NOC.

PlimPlum

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
Research Assistants are usually paid over the vacations as they work for professors throughout the year regardless of vacations or not, but in my knowledge I haven't seen Teaching Assistants being paid over the vacations as many universities limit the number of courses offered during their summer/winter semesters.
I don't know where you did your PhD, but in the U.S. TAs typically do receive salary during the summer. This is because their salary is paid monthly for 12 months although they may teach for only 9 months in a year. I also don't remember signing a new contract each academic year. In this sense I consider this as a continuous employment.

I guess it is country- and university-specific and therefore answering the following questions may help to sort out your puzzle:

1) Did you get monthly payments over the 12 month period or only over the 9 months?
2) Did you sign the TA contract once or was it renewed in every academic year?

Shamrock_Rose

Aug 16, 2016
I don't know where you did your PhD, but in the U.S. TAs typically do receive salary during the summer. This is because their salary is paid monthly for 12 months although they may teach for only 9 months in a year. I also don't remember signing a new contract each academic year. In this sense I consider this as a continuous employment.

I guess it is country- and university-specific and therefore answering the following questions may help to sort out your puzzle:

1) Did you get monthly payments over the 12 month period or only over the 9 months?
2) Did you sign the TA contract once or was it renewed in every academic year?
What if I receive payments over 9 months, but the TAship is offered per academic year, that is, there is one contract per academic year?

LittleHuang

Star Member
May 12, 2016
It seems obvious to me that if you have 26 consecutive bi-weekly pay stubs, then you meet the minimum work experience requirement.