+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Teacher wanting to move from UK to Canada

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
Hi,

My partner is looking to move to Canada from the UK, and she is a teacher. What visa would she apply for? She doesn't have a job in Canada, but feels like she would get one. I'm also moving, but my company is sponsoring me.

Cheers,

Elliot

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

My partner is looking to move to Canada from the UK, and she is a teacher. What visa would she apply for? She doesn't have a job in Canada, but feels like she would get one. I'm also moving, but my company is sponsoring me.

Cheers,

Elliot
She won't be able to teach in Canada until she completes a certification process. I would recommend she research the process based on the province where you plan to be living.

If you are moving on a work permit that is NOC A, B or 0 skill level and the two of you are either married or common law (have lived together continuously for at least one full year) then she should apply for a spousal open work permit based on your work permit. This is her most realistic option for getting a work permit.

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
Yeah, we have considered that but its proving that we've lived together.

We've both lived at her parents for the past couple of years, but most of my credit cards etc. I've left at my parents. So I only have a work phone contract, our joint car insurance, her parents affidavit and lots of orders delivered to our address. We obviously have social media posts etc. and have been together 8 years.

Is this sufficient as evidence?

Elliot

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah, we have considered that but its proving that we've lived together.

We've both lived at her parents for the past couple of years, but most of my credit cards etc. I've left at my parents. So I only have a work phone contract, our joint car insurance, her parents affidavit and lots of orders delivered to our address. We obviously have social media posts etc. and have been together 8 years.

Is this sufficient as evidence?

Elliot
I would try.

It will be a lot more difficult for her to try to get a work permit on her own. To get a closed work permit she would need a job offer in Canada and an approved LMIA from her employer. Next to impossible to find employers willing to go through this process. Certainly getting a job offer as a teacher won't be possible since she's not even certified to teach in Canada right now. The other option would be for her to try to get an open work permit through the IEC / Working Holiday Visa program. Downsides of this are that the program is now closed for this year so she would need to wait for it to reopen. Also it's always way oversubscribed. Way more people in the pool than spots available.

I would try for the spousal open work permit and hope IRCC accepts your evidence of common law.

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
I would try.

It will be a lot more difficult for her to try to get a work permit on her own. To get a closed work permit she would need a job offer in Canada and an approved LMIA from her employer. Next to impossible to find employers willing to go through this process. Certainly getting a job offer as a teacher won't be possible since she's not even certified to teach in Canada right now. The other option would be for her to try to get an open work permit through the IEC / Working Holiday Visa program. Downsides of this are that the program is now closed for this year so she would need to wait for it to reopen. Also it's always way oversubscribed. Way more people in the pool than spots available.

I would try for the spousal open work permit and hope IRCC accepts your evidence of common law.
Do you think that would be enough evidence? Or would we need more?

Elliot

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you think that would be enough evidence? Or would we need more?

Elliot
I don't know if it will be enough. You'll have to try and see.

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
I don't know if it will be enough. You'll have to try and see.
I have a load of proof of deliveries from Amazon, various other shops. And also, I have my driving licence here, my car is registered here and also I have evidence of my car being fixed at this address when it broke down. Plus sworn affidavits from partners parents.

Would all this help? Or do you think I need actual evidence, like legal documents? I don't have bank statements (registered at my patnets address) nor utility bills as my partners parents pay for that.

Appreciate you may not know!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a load of proof of deliveries from Amazon, various other shops. And also, I have my driving licence here, my car is registered here and also I have evidence of my car being fixed at this address when it broke down. Plus sworn affidavits from partners parents.

Would all this help? Or do you think I need actual evidence, like legal documents? I don't have bank statements (registered at my patnets address) nor utility bills as my partners parents pay for that.

Appreciate you may not know!
Whether this is enough will be up to IRCC. No one here can tell you that. Ideally you should have updated your bank account and other similar info to the address where you are living. But nothing you can do about that now. Again, you'll need to apply and see what happens. I assume you listed yourself as common law rather than single in the work permit application your company is obtaining.

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
Whether this is enough will be up to IRCC. No one here can tell you that. Ideally you should have updated your bank account and other similar info to the address where you are living. But nothing you can do about that now. Again, you'll need to apply and see what happens. I assume you listed yourself as common law rather than single in the work permit application your company is obtaining.
Okay cheers. The only other piece of evidence is when we were at university, and lived together for 3 years, but obviously there was a summer break. Not sure if thay counts as a short term break to meet the cohabitation criteria? We do have all the rental agreements for this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay cheers. The only other piece of evidence is when we were at university, and lived together for 3 years, but obviously there was a summer break. Not sure if thay counts as a short term break to meet the cohabitation criteria? We do have all the rental agreements for this.
Anything over three weeks apart is a break in continuous cohabitation. If you lived separately for the summer break then this will most definitely be regarded as a break in continuous cohabitation and won't count. So those rental agreements don't help you.