+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TD travel document?

Torontonian343

Mar 1, 2021
How long are TD travel document times to receive a TD document after submitting application? I checked cic.gc website its says 3 months but than I called passport office they said the wait for some exceeding 9 months? Now I need to travel outside the country die passing of my father and must arrange departure ticket asap. But I am not leaving Canada without legal TD travel document or application submission and case in processing which when TD travel document will be mailed in 3 months I can get my friend to mail the TD directly to my visiting country by FedEx? Any help appreciated?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How long are TD travel document times to receive a TD document after submitting application? I checked cic.gc website its says 3 months but than I called passport office they said the wait for some exceeding 9 months? Now I need to travel outside the country die passing of my father and must arrange departure ticket asap. But I am not leaving Canada without legal TD travel document or application submission and case in processing which when TD travel document will be mailed in 3 months I can get my friend to mail the TD directly to my visiting country by FedEx? Any help appreciated?
You can't apply for a PR Travel Document from within Canada. You can only apply once you are outside of Canada.

Torontonian343

Mar 1, 2021
You can't apply for a PR Travel Document from within Canada. You can only apply once you are outside of Canada.
Oh really I didn't know that, but I was having a guarantor sign my application from Canada is that okay if I go overseas submit the application from abroad ?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Oh really I didn't know that, but I was having a guarantor sign my application from Canada is that okay if I go overseas submit the application from abroad ?
You can only submit it outside of Canada (aboard). Why do you need a guarantor to sign it in Canada?
You travel aboard, then you apply for the PRTD from outside.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sounds like you may have been given information about an RTD (refugee travel document) and not a PRTD.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you applying for a Refugee Travel Document or a PR Travel Document?

These are two completely different things. Right now you are following the directions for applying for a Refugee Travel Document. Are you a refugee who cannot travel on their passport?

If you actually need a PR Travel Document, this application does not need a guarantor and can only be submitted outside of Canada. You need to submit your passport along with the PRTD application. So not at all possible to apply from within Canada.

Torontonian343

Mar 1, 2021
Are you applying for a Refugee Travel Document or a PR Travel Document?

These are two completely different things. Right now you are following the directions for applying for a Refugee Travel Document. Are you a refugee who cannot travel on their passport?

If you actually need a PR Travel Document, this application does not need a guarantor and can only be submitted outside of Canada. You need to submit your passport along with the PRTD application. So not at all possible to apply from within Canada.
No I am not applying as refugee. I am PR card renew my card and waiting to receive the pr card. I want to travel incase I do not receive the PR card on time therefore looking to apply for PRTD. That's what I was wondering why would I fill application within Canada if you must submit abroad? But someone told me(travel agent) a customer showed his PRTD before leaving Canada to abroad or maybe that was Refugee TD i do not know which documents he had before leaving Canada. Therefore i wish to confirm i can leave canada without PR card and apply for PRTD?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No I am not applying as refugee. I am PR card renew my card and waiting to receive the pr card. I want to travel incase I do not receive the PR card on time therefore looking to apply for PRTD. That's what I was wondering why would I fill application within Canada if you must submit abroad? But someone told me(travel agent) a customer showed his PRTD before leaving Canada to abroad or maybe that was Refugee TD i do not know which documents he had before leaving Canada. Therefore i wish to confirm i can leave canada without PR card and apply for PRTD?
The Travel Document application you were looking at was the wrong one. This is for refugees. It does not apply to you.

The travel agent doesn't know what he / she is talking about. Don't listen to this person. Again, you can only apply for the PRTD once you are outside of Canada so it is literally impossible to show the PRTD to anyone before leaving Canada.

Yes, you can leave Canada without a PR card and without a PRTD. You apply for the PRTD once you are outside of Canada. You need to submit your passport along with the PRTD application. Information on how to apply for the PRTD is here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html