+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TCF French Exam

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
My wife had TCF exam recently, and I recommend it for everyone who knows at least a bit French. You will likely need to study a lot in a short time, but it is a good way to boost points.

If anyone has questions about the exam, my wife will answer.

Here are her tips for the exam:

- It is absolutely easier than TEF, in my opinion. It might not be easier to score C1 and C2, but getting B2, which you need for the bonus, is easier with TCF. Like someone else mentioned here, unlike TEF, this exam doesn't have B2 inferior. One of my 4 areas was barely B2, but it doesn't matter because a B2 is B2.

- Make sure to sign up for TCF Canada. That is the only one that counts. Also, when looking the grading scale, make sure to find one for TCF Canada because other versions of TCF have a slightly different scale. (And those pop up easily when you search, so make sure you find the right ones).

- Listening: 39 questions in 35 minutes. You can hear it only once. You have 15 seconds to answer before a new question plays automatically. If you are unsure between two options, remember the question because you will be able to change your answer later, during the reading part. However, you won't be able to listen to the audio clip again, so change your answer only if you remember the clip and if you feel you put a wrong answer the first time. Also, don't spend much time on this (correcting listening answers during reading) because you are taking away your reading time.

- Reading: 39 questions in 60 minutes. It starts very easy but the last ten questions or so are longer and complicated texts, and those bring the most points. Unlike listening, you can go through reading questions out of order, so my advice is to start with the last (most difficult) texts. You want to have enough time for them, and if you have to rush in the end, rush it with super short and easy early questions. Reading is my strong area but I actually did the worst on it because I practiced it the least, and because the texts were longer and more complicated than I expected.

- Writing. One of the main reasons I opted for TCF and not TEF. TCF writing is three short texts in 60 monutes: 1) one really short email (80 to 120 words); could/should be done in about 10 minutes. This is an A1/A2 level question. 2) A bit longer email or a blog post, typically requiring to write about the past (like describing a past event) (120 to 150 words). This one should be done in 15-20 minutes. This is a A2/B1 level question (to see if you reach B1 level, I assume). 3) Summarization of two short texts and giving your opinion on them (150 to 180 words). You want to leave about 30 minutes for this, because you need to read the two texts first. Summarization should be short (40 to 60 words) and your opinion a bit longer (120 to 140 words). It is always two texts adopting different stances on the same topic (social problem typically). This is a B2/C1/C2 level question. I think it would be advisable to use some "bigger" words here. I scored B2 (almost C1) so I suppose I did not use enough complexity here. But if you are only going for B2, it's good to know that you don't need super big words to pass.

- Speaking. I was particularly scared of this one, but it turned out that it was less scary than I feared. The first task is to introduce yourself in about 2 and a half minutes, so make sure to practice that one beforehand. Make sure to speak about future goals and also why you are taking the TCF test. If you don't, they might interrupt you to ask. They can also ask some other basic questions, like about your favourite food, movies, where you live, etc. Those should be easy questions because the first task is A1/A2 level. I didn't have the examinator ask me anything. The second task is a roleplay of an everyday situation where you pose the examinateur questions (for example, you want to join a gym and they work there). You have 2 minutes to prepare and write down questions. It is not too difficult (this is A2/B1 level) but pay attention to the answers the examinateur gives because you might need to adjust your questions (nothing too complex though). Also, pay attention if the setup makes the examinateur a service provider (or another unknown person) or a friend. If they are a friend, make sure to use "tu" and not "vous". The third task (B2/C1/C2 level) is to speak for 4 and a half minutes about a topic and to give your opinion (generally a situation from a society, like "what do you think about large number of cars in the cities?" or something like that). I read that it's best not to jump straight into your opinion ("I think there are too many cars") but to give a bit of introduction about this societal thing (this can be very generic and it can buy you time), and then give your opinion. I was particularly scared of this task but remember that you don't have to be perfect for B2. I caught myself making slight grammar mistakes but I pushed through and I spoke for the whole 4 and a half minutes (try to speak steadily but slowly). I also got B2 here, and also almost C1 but I think I was weaker here than in writing. So my conclusion is that they grade speaking a bit less strict. You also don't need to use big words, especially for B2. Remember, this question goes from B2 to C2 and you don't have to be perfect (I know I wasn't; I stumbled a few times and also made some mistakes). So, just try to relax and try to speak as long as possible. If you run out of ideas, I heard that the examinateur might ask you questions to get you going, but it didn't happen to me. Also, I think your behaviour during the test is important, try to look confident and not scared because it gives a better impression. Not sure how much it matters, but it can't hurt.

- Look for old questions to get a feel of what they ask and what is expected. They also sometimes repeat questions. Do not count on it, but if you practice similar questions you have a chance to do well.

mina_kumari

Oct 13, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
17-03-2019
Passport Req..
26-09-2019
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2019
LANDED..........
25-11-2019
Did your wife take a course for it?
Could you please share study materials?

Thank you

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Did your wife take a course for it?
Could you please share study materials?

Thank you
She didn't have specific study materials, just read books in French, listened to French radio, etc. She had French classes in school and university so she just focused on revising and remembering stuff. I think it all depends on your level. If you are a beginner, courses are useful. If not, then preparing for the exam itself is more useful. I know there are websites that share materials from past exams. That can help. I don't know them but I know they were mentioned already on this forum.

Rohit Chhabra

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
My wife had TCF exam recently, and I recommend it for everyone who knows at least a bit French. You will likely need to study a lot in a short time, but it is a good way to boost points.

- It is absolutely easier than TEF, in my opinion. It might not be easier to score C1 and C2, but getting B2, which you need for the bonus, is easier with TCF. Like someone else mentioned here, unlike TEF, this exam doesn't have B2 inferior. One of my 4 areas was barely B2, but it doesn't matter because a B2 is B2.

- Make sure to sign up for TCF Canada. That is the only one that counts. Also, when looking the grading scale, make sure to find one for TCF Canada because other versions of TCF have a slightly different scale. (And those pop up easily when you search, so make sure you find the right ones).

- Listening: 39 questions in 35 minutes. You can hear it only once. You have 15 seconds to answer before a new question plays automatically. If you are unsure between two options, remember the question because you will be able to change your answer later, during the reading part. However, you won't be able to listen to the audio clip again, so change your answer only if you remember the clip and if you feel you put a wrong answer the first time. Also, don't spend much time on this (correcting listening answers during reading) because you are taking away your reading time.

- Reading: 39 questions in 60 minutes. It starts very easy but the last ten questions or so are longer and complicated texts, and those bring the most points. Unlike listening, you can go through reading questions out of order, so my advice is to start with the last (most difficult) texts. You want to have enough time for them, and if you have to rush in the end, rush it with super short and easy early questions. Reading is my strong area but I actually did the worst on it because I practiced it the least, and because the texts were longer and more complicated than I expected.

- Writing. One of the main reasons I opted for TCF and not TEF. TCF writing is three short texts in 60 monutes: 1) one really short email (80 to 120 words); could/should be done in about 10 minutes. This is an A1/A2 level question. 2) A bit longer email or a blog post, typically requiring to write about the past (like describing a past event) (120 to 150 words). This one should be done in 15-20 minutes. This is a A2/B1 level question (to see if you reach B1 level, I assume). 3) Summarization of two short texts and giving your opinion on them (150 to 180 words). You want to leave about 30 minutes for this, because you need to read the two texts first. Summarization should be short (40 to 60 words) and your opinion a bit longer (120 to 140 words). It is always two texts adopting different stances on the same topic (social problem typically). This is a B2/C1/C2 level question. I think it would be advisable to use some "bigger" words here. I scored B2 (almost C1) so I suppose I did not use enough complexity here. But if you are only going for B2, it's good to know that you don't need super big words to pass.

- Speaking. I was particularly scared of this one, but it turned out that it was less scary than I feared. The first task is to introduce yourself in about 2 and a half minutes, so make sure to practice that one beforehand. Make sure to speak about future goals and also why you are taking the TCF test. If you don't, they might interrupt you to ask. They can also ask some other basic questions, like about your favourite food, movies, where you live, etc. Those should be easy questions because the first task is A1/A2 level. I didn't have the examinator ask me anything. The second task is a roleplay of an everyday situation where you pose the examinateur questions (for example, you want to join a gym and they work there). You have 2 minutes to prepare and write down questions. It is not too difficult (this is A2/B1 level) but pay attention to the answers the examinateur gives because you might need to adjust your questions (nothing too complex though). Also, pay attention if the setup makes the examinateur a service provider (or another unknown person) or a friend. If they are a friend, make sure to use "tu" and not "vous". The third task (B2/C1/C2 level) is to speak for 4 and a half minutes about a topic and to give your opinion (generally a situation from a society, like "what do you think about large number of cars in the cities?" or something like that). I read that it's best not to jump straight into your opinion ("I think there are too many cars") but to give a bit of introduction about this societal thing (this can be very generic and it can buy you time), and then give your opinion. I was particularly scared of this task but remember that you don't have to be perfect for B2. I caught myself making slight grammar mistakes but I pushed through and I spoke for the whole 4 and a half minutes (try to speak steadily but slowly). I also got B2 here, and also almost C1 but I think I was weaker here than in writing. So my conclusion is that they grade speaking a bit less strict. You also don't need to use big words, especially for B2. Remember, this question goes from B2 to C2 and you don't have to be perfect (I know I wasn't; I stumbled a few times and also made some mistakes). So, just try to relax and try to speak as long as possible. If you run out of ideas, I heard that the examinateur might ask you questions to get you going, but it didn't happen to me. Also, I think your behaviour during the test is important, try to look confident and not scared because it gives a better impression. Not sure how much it matters, but it can't hurt.

- Look for old questions to get a feel of what they ask and what is expected. They also sometimes repeat questions. Do not count on it, but if you practice similar questions you have a chance to do well.
Hey please thank your wife for posting this! I have my exam next week and was stressing a bit. Reading about her experience has calmed me down. :)

Rohit Chhabra

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018

Let me add a +1 to your wife's opinion of TCF canada. Having failed thrice on TEF (writing/speaking), I must say that passing TCF was much more "faisable" comparatively. So, I fully endorse her recommendation, with the only caveat being that I felt the listening section is more difficult than TEF canada.
I found reading section to be more or less of the same complexity in both the tests, although the format of questions is quite different.
And for speaking and writing sections, the topics repeat a lot and there are websites that keep posting the subjects of the month. So practicing the past topics can be of great help!

Jun 30, 2022
Let me add a +1 to your wife's opinion of TCF canada. Having failed thrice on TEF (writing/speaking), I must say that passing TCF was much more "faisable" comparatively. So, I fully endorse her recommendation, with the only caveat being that I felt the listening section is more difficult than TEF canada.
I found reading section to be more or less of the same complexity in both the tests, although the format of questions is quite different.
And for speaking and writing sections, the topics repeat a lot and there are websites that keep posting the subjects of the month. So practicing the past topics can be of great help!
Thank you. Can I please get names of some of those sites?

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Her response: Yes, indeed, you are correct about the listening section. I didn't find it more difficult per se, but it is more difficult in that you can hear the audio clip only once. However, everything else was easier in TCF vs TEF so I decided to go with TCF. Listening in TCF is a bit more challenging than on TEF, but not as much as other TEF tasks are more difficult than TCF tasks.

Reactions: Rohit Chhabra

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019

When I took, only TEF was allowed. It's incredible that there is no lower B2 in TCF. No question TCF is better because of this.

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
Do you have any sample answers for TCF writing part? How do you prepare for writing?

Thanks in advance.

mincepie

Aug 22, 2022

Very informative, thank you❤

perezmozez

Mar 11, 2023
Thank you sir for this amazing writeup,

I'm happy your wife aced her exam

Pls can she share her writing samples for the three task as it would enable observe her ways of responding to each prompts.

Also, if she could share more on her daily speaking practice routine.

Pls this is my mail if you can pls forward the writing as well tcf past questions
perezmozez@gmail.com

Merci d'avance