+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxes

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Is it mandatory to show taxes for citizenship application ?
If you were required to file taxes, you must have filed taxes; However, there is no requirement that says you must have actually paid taxes in Canada. IRCC simply wants to know if you were required to file a tax return and if you filed a return (the return can be filed for 0 income as well).

Generally, if you worked in Canada or received any benefit from the government (like Child benefits or GST/HST refund etc), you must file tax returns.

Even if you never worked in Canada, it is a good idea to file a tax return with 0 income. This serves as proof that you filed income taxes AND you resided in Canada to some degree (if CRA records that you've filed tax as a resident rather than as a non-resident).

mopjedopje101

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
I am planning to apply for citizenship, I started the application . I Came to canada as international student in 2015 I became permanent resident in 2019 I only started to file taxes since 2018 . When I was as international Student 2015,2016, 2017 I did not file taxes. Will this be a problem ? Should I select the option not required or simply select NO .

May 23, 2022
Hello. I’ve just recently got my Canadian visa approved. I have a small business here in UK and planning to start another branch there in Canada. Sorry for moving the discussion into a bit different direction, but I thought someone here might advise me. I’m using payroll service of an outsourcing company https://www.payrollindex.com/payroll-bureau/ and trying to find someone like this in Canada. Is anyone aware of a similar payroll service provider there? My business is very small and I’m planning to launch it in several other countries, so hiring a traditional full-time accountant is not quite convenient and efficient for my. Any info or tip would be much appreciated.

rifo94

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
Hello members,

I am answering the tax-required part on the form.

In 2017, I was an international student here and I had no job, or income, and my family was just supporting me here.

I also didn't do a tax return. So, for the question, should I answer no to required to file?

Thanks,

canspire

Star Member
Apr 30, 2022
South Sudan
I am planning to apply for citizenship, I started the application . I Came to canada as international student in 2015 I became permanent resident in 2019 I only started to file taxes since 2018 . When I was as international Student 2015,2016, 2017 I did not file taxes. Will this be a problem ? Should I select the option not required or simply select NO .
Why didn't you file taxes as a student? Just curious.

rifo94

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
Hello,

Did you find out? I didn't file a tax only for 2017, but I had no income or job, so did you choose required to file yes or no?