+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxes - US citizen working in Canada as PR- What to do?

Ravcat

Sep 27, 2013
NW Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa ON
App. Filed.......
8-12-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
Sent w/ App.
Med's Done....
25-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Excempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/06/2015
LANDED..........
August 7th, 2015! Through Port Huron!
I am a total noob when it comes to taxes, as in the states we always hired a local lady that did it for me every year, easy peasy.

Now I am in NW Ontario, where the local ladies have no clue on how to help me file US taxes. My only option really is TurboTax or some other online program.

My husband and I just filed for me for the first time this year Canadian taxes, as I just started working in Canada last fall. He is a Canadian citizen and has been filing / doing taxes as usual.

I have lots of questions...and not sure where to start or if turbotax can help. Our house is in my husband's name...and our bank account is in both of our names. Do I have to report his earnings on my taxes to the states? We also have investments though our bank-its not much as we are young and just starting out on investments...
Thank you for any input!

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Do you have HR Block in Ontario? Get all my stuff done by them and I have several international income streams as well as Canadian..no problem!

Ravcat

Sep 27, 2013
NW Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa ON
App. Filed.......
8-12-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
Sent w/ App.
Med's Done....
25-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Excempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/06/2015
LANDED..........
August 7th, 2015! Through Port Huron!
Do you have HR Block in Ontario? Get all my stuff done by them and I have several international income streams as well as Canadian..no problem!
Negative, the only thing around here is small tax businesses, that we already asked them, and they know of other people in town that are US citizens that have their taxes done somewhere else...but I guess because of confidentiality they cant disclose their info for us to contact them (and I don't blame them)...We are super remote up here, closest town in 3 hrs south and all other directions are by plane access only...

Totoro1661

Star Member
Feb 11, 2019
If have income (that's higher than minimal) in 2018, you will need to file your US tax return as long as you remain a US citizen. if you're comfortable with working via email / phone call, I'm sure many accountants will be able to help you. Let me know if you need a reference or have specific questions