+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

taxes to bring furniture into the country

newguy

Nov 24, 2008
Hello everyone, I'm looking into moving to Canada, and trying to find answers to my thousand and one questions I ran into this forum, reading through I've found answers to many of them, but there's one that I can't find. I hope someone can at least tell me where to look.

I've been playing with the idea of loading all of my stuff in a U-Haul and bring it across the border (from the US), but my lawyer said that paying the taxes might actually be more expensive than buying new furniture. Has anybody done anything like that, or has any idea how that works?

Any help on that matter would be greatly appreciated.

Slick

Star Member
Feb 2, 2008
newguy said:
Hello everyone, I'm looking into moving to Canada, and trying to find answers to my thousand and one questions I ran into this forum, reading through I've found answers to many of them, but there's one that I can't find. I hope someone can at least tell me where to look.

I've been playing with the idea of loading all of my stuff in a U-Haul and bring it across the border (from the US), but my lawyer said that paying the taxes might actually be more expensive than buying new furniture. Has anybody done anything like that, or has any idea how that works?

Any help on that matter would be greatly appreciated.
That's a good question. Too bad no one's got an answer for it, as I was wondering the same thing...
Anybody out there have a comment, or answer?

nicole.august

Sep 1, 2009
I've been arena with the abstraction of loading all of my being in a U-Haul and accompany it beyond the bound (from the US), but my advocate said that paying the taxes ability in fact be added big-ticket than affairs new furniture. Has anybody done annihilation like that,

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
If it used, your personal property for more than a year, I don't believe there is any duty to pay.