+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxes and inland

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
Hello All,

I have a question regarding filing taxes. I am sponsoring my wife and we are doing so inland. On my tax return I have to put her province of residence at the end of 2023. Do I select Québec since she has CSQ and RAMQ or do I select non-resident because her PR is not completed?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

I have a question regarding filing taxes. I am sponsoring my wife and we are doing so inland. On my tax return I have to put her province of residence at the end of 2023. Do I select Québec since she has CSQ and RAMQ or do I select non-resident because her PR is not completed?
Quebec if she is living in Quebec. If she has RAMQ then she must have some sort of status other than visitor.

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
Quebec if she is living in Quebec. If she has RAMQ then she must have some sort of status other than visitor.
Well you can get RAMQ after you have CSQ. The whole process for sponsorship in Québec makes no sense to me, anyway I put her as a resident of Québec.

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
The point is if you are eligible for RAMQ you must be a resident of Quebec
You'd think that but Québec residency is funny. I lived here for many years before I qualified as a resident because I came for my Ph.D. (I am Canadian) and as such I didn't qualify as a Québec resident for quite some time but I had RAMQ that entire time. So from my experience, Québec residency is not clear always, you might count as resident when it comes to healthcare stuff yet not count as a resident for university/tuition stuff.

Last edited:

Tarikla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Tax residency is different from actual residency. You're a resident as long as you have a spouse/common law partner in Canada, unless you can prove you are considered a tax resident of another country. If you are doing any Inland sponsorship, then the PA is automatically a tax resident.

Reactions: YVR123 and tea_1984

UDON55fai

Feb 12, 2021
Filled out form NR74 on Feb. 21st and still haven't heard from the CRA on the residency status of my spouse; although I assume she will be deemed a Can. resident for tax purposes. lol

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You'd think that but Québec residency is funny. I lived here for many years before I qualified as a resident because I came for my Ph.D. (I am Canadian) and as such I didn't qualify as a Québec resident for quite some time but I had RAMQ that entire time. So from my experience, Québec residency is not clear always, you might count as resident when it comes to healthcare stuff yet not count as a resident for university/tuition stuff.
Residency and students are complex for Quebec because you can be born in Quebec and spent the majority of your life in another province but still qualify as a Quebec resident and pay lower tuition. The question wasn’t related to who qualifies for reduced tuition in Quebec. Other than qualifying for reduced tuition the residency rules are standard no matter what province.