+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxe credit for marital status when sponsoring

PeacefulMan

Star Member
May 2, 2017
Hi, I would like to know if I can claim back some credit and extra returns on my taxes. It would be nice to know if there are people who already have experience with this situation?

Here the situation, I’m a Canadian citizen who lives in Canada. In summer 2018 I went overseas and married my current wife. I came back and started her sponsoring in october 2018, the application got accepted few months later and in October 2019 I travelled again to bring her here, we landed together and living both in Canada now.

For the 2018 tax year, I had my status as single/divorced and now I’m hoping I can change that to married and get credit back from CRA for that.

Any experience or advise with a similar situation?

Cheers.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thought it’s not the same thing being married or single in terms of taxes....
If both partners are working in Canada there are things that you can do about transferring tax credits between the couple for things like charitable donations.

If both partners are in Canada and one had been eligible for things like GST or carbon tax credit based on low income, getting married can remove that eligibility and force a repayment of credits paid out.

You don't get a tax credit for being married.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I would like to know if I can claim back some credit and extra returns on my taxes. It would be nice to know if there are people who already have experience with this situation?

Here the situation, I’m a Canadian citizen who lives in Canada. In summer 2018 I went overseas and married my current wife. I came back and started her sponsoring in october 2018, the application got accepted few months later and in October 2019 I travelled again to bring her here, we landed together and living both in Canada now.

For the 2018 tax year, I had my status as single/divorced and now I’m hoping I can change that to married and get credit back from CRA for that.

Cheers.
My taxes went up after getting married and adding my spouse to my return.

Reactions: k.h.p.

PeacefulMan

Star Member
May 2, 2017
To be honest I’m a bit confused, or I m the have asked the question to on properly.
What I know is that being single or married with a house wife is not the same for taxes.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Cheers.
Note that you were legally required to inform IRCC of your new marital status within 30 days of marrying in 2018. You really need to correct that.

What was her income those years in CAD?

PeacefulMan

Star Member
May 2, 2017
Note that you were legally required to inform IRCC of your new marital status within 30 days of marrying in 2018. You really need to correct that.

What was her income those years in CAD?
Don’t know exactly but for sure less that in Canada. Not comparable and not reaching the minimum they put in TD1.
I’ll call CRA to ask them.
Thanks.