+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxation on foreign property and income- confusion

Tokibaee

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
Canadian taxation on foreign property and income...I find it very confusing.. are we supposed to hire lawyers and accountants to deal with these issues? I’m sure they charge a lott of money. I have a house and a car and shop in my home country, each exceeds 100K cad , will I be paying Canadian taxes on them when I become pr?? And out of curiosity, why do residents pay taxes on property or income they earn outside Canada especially if they had it before becoming residents. Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Cannot answer specific tax law questions but once you become a PR and a tax resident then why would any country not expect its residents to declare all WW income else someone could live in the country use and claim all of the benefits without any contribution by having all income outside the country, this is not unique to Canada.

As said can’t advise on tax but general practice would be as I understand it that an individual only pays tax in the country they are tax resident in on WW income not both or many countries, assuming Canada has a tax treaty with a country to avoid double taxation. Plus there are special rules for newcomers as below link.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/newcomers-canada-immigrants.html

Last edited:

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Canadian taxation on foreign property and income...I find it very confusing.. are we supposed to hire lawyers and accountants to deal with these issues? I’m sure they charge a lott of money. I have a house and a car and shop in my home country, each exceeds 100K cad , will I be paying Canadian taxes on them when I become pr?? And out of curiosity, why do residents pay taxes on property or income they earn outside Canada especially if they had it before becoming residents. Thank you
You are not forced to hire lawyers or accountants, and most people can easily prepare and file their taxes without assistance. If you require assistance, then you may need to hire a professional. That's your call and not the government's.

If you have assets worth over $100k outside of Canada, you have to declare them on your tax return. You will have to pay tax on the income earned from these assets, if any. the rationale is that you are living in Canada and availing social services here, and therefore must contribute to the economy as well. Otherwise, we would have a lot of people who are earning income abroad, living in Canada and not paying a cent into the system. Doesn't seem very fair, does it?

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Tokibaee

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
Thanks Torontosm for your clarification.. my house, car and shop all don’t generate income. So you’re saying I don’t have to pay taxes on any of them but I still have to declare them right?

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Tokibaee, are you sure you researched and planned your migration to Canada? You started so many threads here.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Thanks Torontosm for your clarification.. my house, car and shop all don’t generate income. So you’re saying I don’t have to pay taxes on any of them but I still have to declare them right?
Yes, that's correct. Although you may have to explain how you have a shop that doesn't produce any income at all.

Reactions: YVR123

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
If your property do not generate income - no taxes, but you have to read the link above for newcomers about "a deemed disposition." and to keep the record of a fair market value (FMV). No taxes now, but the FMV will be your cost when you calculate your gain or loss from disposing the property in the future.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have assets worth over $100k outside of Canada, you have to declare them on your tax return. You will have to pay tax on the income earned from these assets, if any. the rationale is that you are living in Canada and availing social services here, and therefore must contribute to the economy as well. Otherwise, we would have a lot of people who are earning income abroad, living in Canada and not paying a cent into the system. Doesn't seem very fair, does it?
Are you sure tax money contribute to the economy both at provincial and federal level? I doubt BC sues Alberta over the pipelines contributes to the economy, while federal government's money buy up the pipeline contributes to the economy.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Are you sure tax money contribute to the economy both at provincial and federal level? I doubt BC sues Alberta over the pipelines contributes to the economy, while federal government's money buy up the pipeline contributes to the economy.
The Federal government's decision to purchase the pipeline was definitely an anomaly, as the benefits are clearly favoring certain provinces over others. Regardless, yes, taxes do help on both the Federal and Provincial levels because both the federal and provincial governments levy them.