+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Returns - Completed soft landing and stayed only for a week

Apr 23, 2021
I have completed my landing formalities on 12-JAN-2020. I had stayed in Canada for one week in the year 2020 and I moved back to the US and worked from Texas for the rest of the year. I will be moving to Canada permanently this July and I will be working for the same US employer remotely from Canada for the rest of 2021. Can you please help me with the below questions?

1) I lived only for a week in Canada and I did not open a bank account or applied for health insurance or license. Do I need to file tax returns for the year 2020? If so, will the income earned in the US be taxable?
2) If I move to Canada permanently this July, I would have lived six month in Canada and six months in the US. Since my employer is from the US, they will continue to deduct US taxes throughout the year? Do I need to file and pay taxes to the Canadian government for the income earned in the US? Please advice

Appreciate your help. Stay safe and healthy!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have completed my landing formalities on 12-JAN-2020. I had stayed in Canada for one week in the year 2020 and I moved back to the US and worked from Texas for the rest of the year. I will be moving to Canada permanently this July and I will be working for the same US employer remotely from Canada for the rest of 2021. Can you please help me with the below questions?

1) I lived only for a week in Canada and I did not open a bank account or applied for health insurance or license. Do I need to file tax returns for the year 2020? If so, will the income earned in the US be taxable?
2) If I move to Canada permanently this July, I would have lived six month in Canada and six months in the US. Since my employer is from the US, they will continue to deduct US taxes throughout the year? Do I need to file and pay taxes to the Canadian government for the income earned in the US? Please advice

Appreciate your help. Stay safe and healthy!!
1. No unless y have some other ties
2. Do you have the ability to work in the US legally?

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
Yes I can work for US employer legally. I have valid H1B
I don’t think that is technically legal to work on an H1b while not in the country. Your H1b technically stops when you exit the country. A few weeks out is ok for vacation, extended period may be tricky for future extensions etc.,