+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax return

Mahakarora

Star Member
Mar 22, 2019
I came to canada on 25th dec 2021 as international student, i joined first job in jan 2022.

do i have to file a tax return for the year 2021 in canada??

D

Deleted member 1083629

I came to canada on 25th dec 2021 as international student, i joined first job in jan 2022.

Yes. However, as you had no income in 2021 in Canada, you will fall below the minimum income rate and you won't owe any taxes to the government. Considering the fact that you came in the end of 2021, I doubt that government would give you back anything, either.

I would file the return just for the records. Just so you know, filing taxes late comes with the penalty if you owe government money. This is not applicable to you (as I have said, you don't owe anything to the government) but just something to keep in mind for future when you actually start working and establish your life in Canada.

janfly

Nov 30, 2020

Hello,

There are two ways to look at this.

1. "What if you do not file your first tax return" - It's just a week of your stay in Canada, you may not file your tax return for 2021. CRA will not hold your collar for not filing your taxes for 2021. Your status is Non-resident since you did/do not have any primary ties with Canada. Only income earned in Canada is taxed. If you did not have any income, may not file the return.

2. "What if you file your initial/first year tax return" - the first year always a paper filing and your status was NR to canada. When you file your initial tax return, the assessment will be taking much time and CRA will be seeking supporting document such as landing papers/stamping and other basic questionnaire about your status. If you file your tax for the 2021, the assessment for 2022 will be easier. If you do not file your 2021, your 2022 tax return has to be marked as "first/initial" and CRA assessment will cost your time.