+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax return in 2020 for a newcomer

Eugene12

Nov 15, 2018
Hello, I'm a newcomer landed in Vancouver in 2019.
I'm trying to figure out how to make it right. Unfortunately, neither newcomer centers nor official websites helped. Can you suggest websites where I can become familiar with the whole process from filling the correct form to paying the needed amount of a tax?
E.g. I can't create my CRA account because it says they need to verify my identity, where they are doing this? Their website says "Vancouver Tax Services Office
The Canada Revenue Agency does not offer walk-in counter service."
I tried both Service Canada - they say we don't do Taxes and phone where the agent said that the only thing he can do is to suggest the website!
Can I use e.g. simple tax if I don't have CRA account? How do I pay without this account?
If they meant the paper-based return how do I send it to CRA? By mail? On website:
"Note: Drop boxes
Drop boxes are typically emptied of their contents twice daily (more frequently during the personal tax filing season). The contents are stamped by our mail operations the same day they are received. For the first clearance each morning, items are date stamped with the previous business day's date."

how do I put returns for me and my spouse? one envelope, two, with stamps or not?

Kesiyasebastian

Sep 20, 2019
NL
you can use https://www.ufile.ca/ or simple tax to file your returns. You don't have to pay for this. You would need to file for you and spouse even though you were not employed. You will be eligible to create my CRA account once you filed your taxes or just after filing. Then you can add/modify settings like direct payment to receive a refund directly to your bank account.
I will suggest checking out the MUN Tax clinic on Facebook for videos on tax filing if you want to fill it on your own. It was helpful for me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
you can use https://www.ufile.ca/ or simple tax to file your returns. You don't have to pay for this. You would need to file for you and spouse even though you were not employed. You will be eligible to create my CRA account once you filed your taxes or just after filing. Then you can add/modify settings like direct payment to receive a refund directly to your bank account.
I will suggest checking out the MUN Tax clinic on Facebook for videos on tax filing if you want to fill it on your own. It was helpful for me.
Actually you do have to pay for tax software. Many companies offer free use for low income people.