+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax return for PR who is not working/living yet

marco_atk85

Jul 9, 2019
Hi all,

I am a little bir confused with all this taxation issues and looking for your valuable helps.

I received my permenant residency on Oct 2018. While I am there I got SIN number, opened a bank account and applied for OHIP than returned to my country as I am still in contract in my current job. I currently don't have any income in Canada.

I tried to register CRA my account but I couldnt and call center told me that I cannot until filling my tax return.

On my bank papers it is stated as "tax payer in Canada" So I don't know if I should declare anything even it I have zero income in Canada. If so, have can I declare online as I am in abrod.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You don’t need a CRA account and don’t have to pay taxes because you are not a resident for tax purposes. You should not have obtained an OHIP card because you won’t meet the residency requirement for OHIP. You are also supposed to notify OHIP if you leave for a long period of time. I would inform OHIP that you incorrectly got a card and will be out of the country for quite a while. This is to prevent someone from fraudulently using your number. You will have to start the 3 month waiting process again even if your card says it is not expired. You could be asked to pay back any medical care you receive if you use the card and haven’t met the residency requirement.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least oneof the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home

marco_atk85

Jul 9, 2019
Cheers canuck.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Just out of curiosity how OHIP follows if I am physically in Ontario?

Last edited:

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Cheers canuck.

... Just out of curiosity how OHIP follows if I am physically in Ontario?
The CRA will know about each your move in and out of country. Do not ask silly questions on public forum if you know what i mean.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Hi all,

I am a little bir confused with all this taxation issues and looking for your valuable helps.

I received my permenant residency on Oct 2018. While I am there I got SIN number, opened a bank account and applied for OHIP than returned to my country as I am still in contract in my current job. I currently don't have any income in Canada.

I tried to register CRA my account but I couldnt and call center told me that I cannot until filling my tax return.

On my bank papers it is stated as "tax payer in Canada" So I don't know if I should declare anything even it I have zero income in Canada. If so, have can I declare online as I am in abrod.
Based on your information you are not actually a tax resident in Canada and should not be filling tax. Also you should not have applied for OHIP since you don't physically live in Canada.

Once you return and become resident, you will be able to register your CRA account after your first tax return has been processed.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Cheers canuck.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Just out of curiosity how OHIP follows if I am physically in Ontario?
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2018/12/entryexit-initiative.html

Thats how

People don't seriously think that when your passport is swiped by the airline inbound and outbound that information isn't going somewhere ?
On your declaration it clearly states this information can be used by other departments within Canada

From the card itself;

This information may be
disclosed to other government departments and
agencies, police forces and other Countries to
administer or enforce Canadian Legislation.

Example, lets say you were on EI, left the country for a LONG period of time , never informed Service Canada about the absence, but still collected EI payments. You don't think your data isn't going to match up with the EI records, and sooner or later you will get a letter from EI requesting the back payment of payments you were not eligible for,and on top of that you get penalized because you were not honest ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex54321